Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Longbow strip down

Longbow

To be honest, I've had this happen a few times and am not completely sure how I sorted it , just played around untill it worked.
    You could adjust the trigger for more sear engagement.
    Jonny

Is the detent ball and spring in place ?

If you mean the ball and spring on the trigger safety slide, yes it is. I`ve had the trigger unit apart and buffed all the mating surfaces and completely cleaned. So I`ll give it another go when I get the chance. Whilst I think the trigger is quite a nice release (when I can get it to catch) I do not think much of the way the piston contacts the primary sear to engage the mechanism.

Hi sorry I've just picked this up, been many months one the fishing forums.

You need to cock the trigger and push the fiddly bit down also whilst inserting, it will take you two or three goes to master, and best practised with no spring first of all till you get the knack.

I have the original Longbow manual, and a PDF soft copy somewhere I will look out.
    Nice things happen to nice people.

A copy of the manual would be nice. Can you be more specific about the " fiddly bit" Do you mean the safety probe which fits into the safety slide catch. And yes I have cocked the trigger before inserting.

Hi Archie,

Yes that is the fiddly bit, once its in and the safety can slide/move etc, release the trigger and it should cock, as I said its weird just like Jonny said also, so try it a few times with no spring etc.

The manual is available here

http://spares.bagnallandkirkwood.co....bow_Manual.pdf
    Nice things happen to nice people.

Many thanks, I will be having another look at it over the next few days.

Well, spent another afternoon trying to sort this bl***y rifle. In the end I managed to cock it, but really had to slam the barrel back into the cocking position. Obviously no good like this. All the parts look in perfect condition, trigger, piston etc. Such a shame as it`s a lovely rifle sitting in a walnut stock and very accurate when it works.
    I`ve just assembled it and put it in the gun cabinet as I am really peeved off with it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Well, spent another afternoon trying to sort this bl***y rifle. In the end I managed to cock it, but really had to slam the barrel back into the cocking position. Obviously no good like this. All the parts look in perfect condition, trigger, piston etc. Such a shame as it`s a lovely rifle sitting in a walnut stock and very accurate when it works.
    I`ve just assembled it and put it in the gun cabinet as I am really peeved off with it at the moment.
    Hi Archie

I understand your frustration and my apologies for not spotting your thread earlier (Mach 1.5 gave me the heads-up!).

You have discovered the need to set the trigger before installing but, assuming that nothing has been added internally, the only thing left is the arrest of the intermediate sear SR134. This is usually implemented by a collar (Sear Stop Bush W198) around the trig block retaining screw. The numbers refer to the Chambers diagram at

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24531/Longbow/

If all this gets you nowhere, don't panic as they are well worth having when sorted! Give me an e-mail and I will help all I can!

I can send a dimensioned diagram of the internals since I prepare them for all models I strip and note differences, where they exist, in all samples!

Sounds like you have the makings of a fine rifle there! They are certainly my choice for a medium weight barrel cocker!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Looks like the part you mentioned is out of stock on Chambers . I have a Tomahawk and do worry what I am going to do if anything breaks and need replacing as a lot of the parts are lno longer available. Hope Archie can get a replacement made up if its just a simple part thats missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Looks like the part you mentioned is out of stock on Chambers . I have a Tomahawk and do worry what I am going to do if anything breaks and need replacing as a lot of the parts are lno longer available. Hope Archie can get a replacement made up if its just a simple part thats missing.
    The retaining collar is just a short tube so no bother. It often drops off when removing the stock! If that is the problem, I will measure one and draw up diagram a replacement! I got fed up with these dropping off and designed a new replacement for the retaining screw assembly which includes an integral collar. Have since thought up an easier solution but haven't tried it yet!

I had contemplated adding a stop to the trigger housing since that is where the problem lies!

These are the little things which make life with out-of-production models so interesting! No different from vintage cars etc!

Oh by the way, I have 5 BrumBows in various guises and two special Tomahawks (a V-Mach Cobra and a Venom Sidewinder) so potentially many special bits and pieces!

Happy airgunning!

atvb
    David

atvb
    David

Thanks David, eventually come to the conclusion that this is the problem. The block retaining bolt does look as though it has an integral collar, but I will pull the stock off again to double check. I did check the Chamber`s web site but it`s not too clear. Was the original collar free to drop out before the bolt was removed from the trigger block. If so it would seem that I have a missing part.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Thanks David, eventually come to the conclusion that this is the problem. The block retaining bolt does look as though it has an integral collar, but I will pull the stock off again to double check. I did check the Chamber`s web site but it`s not too clear. Was the original collar free to drop out before the bolt was removed from the trigger block. If so it would seem that I have a missing part.
    Hi Archie

It would appear that there are two configurations which have been used. The earlier one (don't know what serial numbers were affected!) was a long HEX Head with the collar tube which could just fall off. Later ones (as in the manual for Series 2 models) appear to have an integral collar which should work! I just took the stock off one of mine and found that it had the integral collar.

If you do take your stock off again, can you send a pic of the trigger unit showing what the resting position of the intermediate sear is? I do recall in the distant past having issues as mentioned by Jonny but having done it so many times now have obviously developed "the knack". Certainly if the unit is in the cocked state and the safety toggle properly located, there is no reason why it should not cock, particularly since it once did!

I may well look you up next time I visit friends in Kettering! I am planning to visit the Boinger Bash in Sept and usually make loads of visits whilst away from base!

Whatever you do, don't despair! I will e-mail you some info and if it's useful may put up a link to a PDF with the data!

atvb
    David

Would you want the pic to show the trigger unit still pinned to the rifle, just with the action removed from the stock ?

archie

I have a longbow in bits at the moment, it's the 1 ive had simalar problems with but not the last few times I stripped it .
    I don't recall a collar around the block retaining bolt but will look and email you a photo.
    Jonny