Thread: Would a HW35......?

Would a HW35......?

... in 177 reduced in power to 9.5fpe be pleasant to use, or would the large size of the cylinder and spring make it bouncy and inaccurate?

I may as well ask the same about the gun in 22.

Power has never been important to me.

I value a smooth firing cycle and accuracy.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    ...... be pleasant to use.

No.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

My older .177 HW35 Freimark is down around 6 fpe and is very smooth and extremely accurate at appropriate ranges. It is a joy to shoot.
    I also have one in .22 and shooting 12fpe that is pretty jumpy in comparison.
    I can't see any advantage to .22 in a low powered gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    No.
    Rhubarb!

Go right ahead, Arthur, it'll be lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I'm not getting involved

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hw35

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    ... in 177 reduced in power to 9.5fpe be pleasant to use, or would the large size of the cylinder and spring make it bouncy and inaccurate?

I may as well ask the same about the gun in 22.

Power has never been important to me.

I value a smooth firing cycle and accuracy.
    No it would be lovely, bought a 35K off here some time ago, the spring was a bit weak and it ran very well at 9ftlbs, anyway I decided a new spring and a piston washer resize was in order. It ran just as well, but at 12.75ftlbs.

Many thanks for the replies.
    Arthur

I have been playing with mine.
    Here some results following my experience starting in 2011 and lasting until July 2016.

Genuine sub12pfe with original HW-seal: rough, loud and no accuracy at all. About 1k shots, no top hat, spring bent.

V-Mach stage 1: 10,1 fpe with JSB Exact 4,51, nice & smooth to shoot, accurate out to 35+m. More than 11,3k shots. Spring broken.
    So far the best setup - see pic.

V-Mach stage 1: 10,8 fpe with JSB Exact Heavy 4,52, rough to shoot, accuracy so-so. Too strong a spring - broke after nearly 3k shots.

Vortek Full-Power: 12,6 fpe with JSB Exact Heavy 4,52, rough to shoot, accuracy unacceptable though ... (see pic). Spring much too strong - so one coil collapsed after nearly 3k shots.

Vortek Full-Power, one coil collapsed: 8,9 fpe with JSB Express 4,52, about 700 shots, nice to shoot, but...

Vortek Full-Power, one coil collapsed + 3,5 mm tap washer in piston: 11,0 fpe with JSB Express 4,52 awa JSB Exact Heavy 4,52 (!), about 500 shots - not bad but accuracy not satisfying.

Vortek Full-Power, genuine new HW-seal, one coil collapsed + 2x 3,1 mm metal washers in piston: 9,8 fpe with different pellets, about 200 shots, accuracy still to be verified.

Do I have to express that this (my very first) AG is still "a work under progress"?

So my advice.
    Take care of proper seals, lube, squared and polished spring ends and a nice tophat awa rear spring guide (look for TbT) and keep it under 10 fpe - so it should be real fine.
    Take care of barrel pivot pin too and don't overstress rear (the small) trigger guard screw. You even may try without it.

Good luck.

Sorry lads, now here the pics:

Last edited by pelletcaster; 16-07-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Thank you for taking the trouble to give such an in depth reply based on years of experience.

Not encouraging though.
    Arthur

Get yourself a nice un messed with early 1980's 35 in .22,fit a later delrin guide polish & relube lose a coil if you must & plink away.You shouldn't have any probs with accuracy using H&N FTT & Bisley Superfield even Superdomes work OK for close range.

Thumbs up

/\/\this/\/\ a mates lovely smoothly tuned early .22 '35 got me back into springers and was surprised when it was close to 12fpe over the Skan - I thought is was more like 10fpe from the sedate shooting cycle!
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

I used to use one for bell target in. 177 with a cut down spring. It was very nice to shoot.