Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 97 stocks...

I've been finding my 97 synthetic a little front heavy. Would a spotter/ laminate bring the weight more to the shoulder? If so, where to buy one?
    Cheers
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

Rhysy lad, this is going to be one of those instances where the old, boring advice will be the most valuable.

So go try as many of the different configuration as you can and see which suits you best.

P.S. I LOVE the synthetic thumbhole.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Rhysy lad, this is going to be one of those instances where the old, boring advice will be the most valuable.

So go try as many of the different configuration as you can and see which suits you best.

P.S. I LOVE the synthetic thumbhole.
    Yes, I've tried the STD sporter, thought it was fine, tried the thumbhole in wood, found the cheek higher but the pistol grip too fat so I preferred the sporter.. never tried the laminated stock ones though... So I'm just trying to get some info on the differences from you lot of anorak 97 owner's
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

You can usually have the cheekpiece altered to suit.

http://i.imgur.com/YePPpjq.jpg

This is a HW100, not a 97.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You can usually have the cheekpiece altered to suit.

http://i.imgur.com/YePPpjq.jpg

This is a HW100, not a 97.
    Yes! Rich., I've been trying to find the time + cash at the time to visit you! Looks like I will have a stack of stocks that will need altering by the time I actually make it! Lol..
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    get a room you two lol

the synthetic stock on the blackline is nice. i bought a secondhand one for my 97 a little while back to help keep the weight down. though i have read that keen enthusiasts like to fill the void in the butt (no pun intended!) with resin to absorb the recoil/ resonance, but i think it is fine as it is personally...
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The synthetic stock is heavier than its wood equivalent
    Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    I am surprised at that. It must be psychological then matey?!? You arent using those dodgy scales from the fish market again are you lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    No. Someone told me that a few years back and I didn't believe them, so when I got home I weighed them both. It's not much, but walnut is lighter. Beech is cheaper, but it's just so low rent.
    Yeah, but the wood HW97 stocks are beech or (even heavier) laminate - therefore both are as heavy as bodies. You confusing man.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 15-07-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Yeah, but the wood HW97 stocks are beech or (even heavier) laminate - therefore both are as heavy as bodies. You confusing man.
    Man???

Be careful about getting a synthetic stock I have big hands and it was very uncomfortable left red marks on the side of the base of my thumb also very annoying to get to the safety you have to use your left hand .
    I got rid of mine but I have met lots of other people with a similar view.
    Might be alright if you have small hands and could remove the safety . if it was the wood version I would have carved out the annoying thumb groove.
    But I got first a spotter stock, better, then a cs700 much better.
    Just seems like a lot of effort to try and make a 97 as goods as as txhc the stocks on those are good from the start. And that's before you even start on the internals.