Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Office and Royal Mail

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post
    How are traders cylinders allowed then when Joe Public`s arnt

http://www./itm/Bike-CO2-pump-cycle-...EAAOSwa~BYPGrI

lease note:

FREE POSTAGE covers only UK MAINLAND
    Already covered by a previous poster. Trade accounts are treated differently by both RM and PF, RM do not deliver cylinders for anyone.

Thread title also mentions "Post Office" who are a completely different entity from RM, they only provide a service to RM and PF as part of their overall offering.

This subject has been covered numerous times on here, if you do a quick search you will see it comes up almost weekly

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post
    How are traders cylinders allowed then when Joe Public`s arnt

http://www./itm/Bike-CO2-pump-cycle-...EAAOSwa~BYPGrI

lease note:

FREE POSTAGE covers only UK MAINLAND
    Because traders have different accounts to Joe public. As I have said twice before. My RFD can have ten new dive bottles sent to him via a carrier but he had a nightmare to get them to deliver one from his shop. Different trade accounts .same with Joe public .

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    So why was the pistol destroyed (kept by postie more like) if it was the co2 which was the problem?
    Because it was part of the parcel and it's the PARCEL that is destroyed as a whole.

It's a shame, but that's what happens when you break the rules.

The number of times "Post" threads come up on here I would have thought everyone would know them by now & make sure any sender you're dealing with also knows them.

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Your statement on "knowledge of the subject matter" confirms how little knowledge you have of the subject matter.

A large percentage of RM goes by aircraft, aviation rules do not allow pressurised containers. The journey to Belfast is by Sea so low risk... Also to be considered is the mechanical handling and sortation equipment used in processing the mail, again a risk if a pressurised item becomes trapped.

Feel free to correct me if your knowledge on this is greater than mine..
    Ok. Pressurised containers are allowed on board.

I've done about a dozen trips, long and short haul with them ones at way higher pressures than co2. Every flight carries them, they're part of the on board equipment in many varieties from medical to the simple co2 capsules which inflate your life jackets under most people's seats when they pull that little string.

I'm sure RM ban them from flights. They're not banned from flights.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...N_PHG_ALWAYSON

I suspect RM ban them like they ban everything else because they don't have the expertise to determine safety without inspection and jump for the lowest common denominator. Understandable but let's not say it's not possible because it is. All sorts of things can be flown, some need more paperwork, some don't.

Your statement on "knowledge of the subject matter" confirms how little knowledge you have of the subject matter.

A large percentage of RM goes by aircraft, aviation rules do not allow pressurised containers. The journey to Belfast is by Sea so low risk... Also to be considered is the mechanical handling and sortation equipment used in processing the mail, again a risk if a pressurised item becomes trapped.

I know a little bit about aviation, having worked as an aircraft detail fitter converting the Victor bombers to tankers at Radlett and also on the BAC 111 at Luton airport. There are a lot of pressurised containers containers on aircraft as mentioned by Rob. I believe these items were posted by second class mail which is not likely to fly anyway. I know it is the Royal Mail rules, and we have to abide by them if we want to use he service, but what I was saying is have the people who make the rules actually using realistic facts. Since coming back to live in U.K. I was surprised how much the place has tied itself up with health and safety rules which are just a thin veneer for appearances only, and not very effective in actual life.
    Some of them are in fact a joke.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have it on excellent account of a senior RM manager that all of Britains mail delivery is now by road and ferry. They only fly the post over seas, naturally. That's not to say that RM don't X ray boxes routinely especially if the sender has said either the wrong thing or too much at the post office.

Baz- You mean that the removal and inspection of Mrs Gingernuts Scholl sandals by airport security is just a joke?

I did wonder if it was a great contribution to the fight against terrorism but I assumed that the lady doing the search had information we did not.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Baz- You mean that the removal and inspection of Mrs Gingernuts Scholl sandals by airport security is just a joke?

I did wonder if it was a great contribution to the fight against terrorism but I assumed that the lady doing the search had information we did not.
    Scholl sandals? How can it be balanced and fair given that my wife and her pals, flying out of Gatwick a couple of years ago witnessed an assumed Muslim woman in full Hiab breezing through security checks and not once asked to be led to somewhere discreet to have the Hiab presumably removed for obvious reasons? Wife's group of friends all gasped in shocked amazement at what had just occured in front of their very eyes, but wisely all of them kept quiet but talked of nothing else as they sat in the boarding lounge. 21st century Britain; don't you just love the place? Sorry to the OP for the digress.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    I have it on excellent account of a senior RM manager that all of Britains mail delivery is now by road and ferry. They only fly the post over seas, naturally. That's not to say that RM don't X ray boxes routinely especially if the sender has said either the wrong thing or too much at the post office.
    Hmmn, incorrect I'm afraid. A proportion of UK mail has to go by air. Some parts of Scotland (Highlands and Islands), Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Scillies and Northern Ireland for instance. Especially if RM 1st Class post and Special Delivery is used.

Just to add, post office staff have to accept what the customer tells them when asking about the contents. If the customer has a prohibited item, then it is refused. A restricted item can be accepted with appropriate labelling/ packaging. If the customer tells lies about the content then it's their responsibility. If the customer says 'the wrong thing or too much' at the post office, then it doesn't enter the system -simples!

I'm a postmaster and I deal with this sort of thing daily. Sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson3392 View Post
    Hmmn, incorrect I'm afraid. A proportion of UK mail has to go by air. Some parts of Scotland (Highlands and Islands), Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Scillies and Northern Ireland for instance. Especially if RM 1st Class post and Special Delivery is used.

Just to add, post office staff have to accept what the customer tells them when asking about the contents. If the customer has a prohibited item, then it is refused. A restricted item can be accepted with appropriate labelling/ packaging. If the customer tells lies about the content then it's their responsibility. If the customer says 'the wrong thing or too much' at the post office, then it doesn't enter the system -simples!

I hear the mail plane fly over my house most nights . Must just be imaging it :eek

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

I've done about a dozen trips, long and short haul with them ones at way higher pressures than co2. Every flight carries them, they're part of the on board equipment in many varieties from medical to the simple co2 capsules which inflate your life jackets under most people's seats when they pull that little string.

I suspect RM ban them like they ban everything else because they don't have the expertise to determine safety without inspection and jump for the lowest common denominator. Understandable but let's not say it's not possible because it is. All sorts of things can be flown, some need more paperwork, some don't.
    Most aircraft also have high pressure O2 cylinders on board for use in emergencies.

Unfortunately you are confusing aircraft components, emergency equipment, passenger luggage, hold baggage, unaccompanied baggage & freight all of which have their own set of rules.

And that's before even getting to RM/PF rules,

Pressure vessels are banned in RM/PF public services, THAT'S IT ! IT'S THEIR SERVICE THEY CAN REFUSE ANYTHING THEY DON'T WANT TO CARRY !

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson3392 View Post

I can understand the far reaches of the Scottish islands having to be reached by aircraft but everywhere else according to my pal goes by road. That would explain why there are multiple depot 'hubs' strategically placed across the country. Remember the fact that Britain is only a little country. Easy to get freight where it needs to be when you have LGV drivers willing to do the distance for only a score an hour
    Last edited by derekj; 16-07-2017 at 02:22 PM.

postage

Is bubble wrap allowed . It is blown up so must be pressurised

posting

And it goes pop when you squeeze it Great fun

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

Unaccompanied they are not allowed. RM do not set avaition rules they just follow them, it's as simple as that. If I had the inclination I could search the link that proves the avaition rules but it's been done so many times....