Thread: Post Office and Royal Mail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Your statement on "knowledge of the subject matter" confirms how little knowledge you have of the subject matter.

A large percentage of RM goes by aircraft, aviation rules do not allow pressurised containers. The journey to Belfast is by Sea so low risk... Also to be considered is the mechanical handling and sortation equipment used in processing the mail, again a risk if a pressurised item becomes trapped.

Feel free to correct me if your knowledge on this is greater than mine..
    I have it on excellent account of a senior RM manager that all of Britains mail delivery is now by road and ferry. They only fly the post over seas, naturally. That's not to say that RM don't X ray boxes routinely especially if the sender has said either the wrong thing or too much at the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    I have it on excellent account of a senior RM manager that all of Britains mail delivery is now by road and ferry. They only fly the post over seas, naturally. That's not to say that RM don't X ray boxes routinely especially if the sender has said either the wrong thing or too much at the post office.
    Hmmn, incorrect I'm afraid. A proportion of UK mail has to go by air. Some parts of Scotland (Highlands and Islands), Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Scillies and Northern Ireland for instance. Especially if RM 1st Class post and Special Delivery is used.

Just to add, post office staff have to accept what the customer tells them when asking about the contents. If the customer has a prohibited item, then it is refused. A restricted item can be accepted with appropriate labelling/ packaging. If the customer tells lies about the content then it's their responsibility. If the customer says 'the wrong thing or too much' at the post office, then it doesn't enter the system -simples!

I'm a postmaster and I deal with this sort of thing daily. Sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson3392 View Post
    Hmmn, incorrect I'm afraid. A proportion of UK mail has to go by air. Some parts of Scotland (Highlands and Islands), Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Scillies and Northern Ireland for instance. Especially if RM 1st Class post and Special Delivery is used.

Just to add, post office staff have to accept what the customer tells them when asking about the contents. If the customer has a prohibited item, then it is refused. A restricted item can be accepted with appropriate labelling/ packaging. If the customer tells lies about the content then it's their responsibility. If the customer says 'the wrong thing or too much' at the post office, then it doesn't enter the system -simples!

I hear the mail plane fly over my house most nights . Must just be imaging it :eek

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson3392 View Post

I can understand the far reaches of the Scottish islands having to be reached by aircraft but everywhere else according to my pal goes by road. That would explain why there are multiple depot 'hubs' strategically placed across the country. Remember the fact that Britain is only a little country. Easy to get freight where it needs to be when you have LGV drivers willing to do the distance for only a score an hour
    Last edited by derekj; 16-07-2017 at 02:22 PM.

postage

Is bubble wrap allowed . It is blown up so must be pressurised

I can understand the far reaches of the Scottish islands having to be reached by aircraft but everywhere else according to my pal goes by road. That would explain why there are multiple depot 'hubs' strategically placed across the country. Remember the fact that Britain is only a little country. Easy to get freight where it needs to be when you have LGV drivers willing to do the distance for only a score an hour
    And the driving time from London to Glasgow? Penzance to Newcastle? Carlisle to Gt Yarmouth?

Last post 6pm, back to local office, to mail sort centre, to hub, to mail sort centre, to local office.... yes of course it all goes by road in this tiny little country!

RM HGV's restricted to 56mph and it is a there and back journey in the driving hours...

Well your pal is wrong, depending on the service some mail goes by air some by road,
    I've had an air gun sent RMSD refused by the CAA, so it was sent by road, not only did I get an apology for the delay I also got the cost refunded,
    but I was very lucky that the buyer phoned me as soon as the postie passed his house & I phoned RM immediately gave them the ref number told them it was an airgun so it was sent on by road before it was diverted to Belfast.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well your pal is wrong, depending on the service some mail goes by air some by road,
    I've had an air gun sent RMSD refused by the CAA, so it was sent by road, not only did I get an apology for the delay I also got the cost refunded,
    but I was very lucky that the buyer phoned me as soon as the postie passed his house & I phoned RM immediately gave them the ref number told them it was an airgun so it was sent on by road before it was diverted to Belfast.
    Are you honestly suggesting a parcel sent from Newcastle to Penzance would be flown there? A parcel that has just cost me £11.99 RMSD ?? Seriously
    You can really tell the guy's on here who spend their entire working lives as blinkered PAYE slaves. You've really got to know how to run a business before you actually understand how it all works in reality.

Are you honestly suggesting a parcel sent from Newcastle to Penzance would be flown there? A parcel that has just cost me £11.99 RMSD ?? Seriously
    You can really tell the guy's on here who spend their entire working lives as blinkered PAYE slaves. You've really got to know how to run a business before you actually understand how it all works in reality.
    Just for clarity... I know the business, I was a manager in the distribution network for long enough to know how it was done. Great retirement package as well

Learn Logistics then comment on how it should be done

Wonder why all those planes keep flying between UK airports? They x-ray all mail that goes by air.

Correction needed

CORRECTION :
    Royal Mail do fly Internally .
    Thats the sole reason that X ray is now used .
    And we are still gassing on about this since it all got out in the open - in 2013 .
    Nobody in their right mind would use Royal Mail for anything 'gun'.
    Surface carriage only .

Just to correct a major point here - RM is FINE for anything from 1st class upwards but the rules on parcel sizes mean you can only send pistols:

Guns for sporting use

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.

Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...detail/a_id/94

Restricted items
    5.5 There are some items, known as restricted items that we can, for legal or
    safety reasons, only carry through our postal network provided that you The Royal Mail United Kingdom Post Scheme 30 January 2017
    Page 8 of 49
    Mark Waples
    meet all our requirements for the acceptance of the item, including, but not
    limited to, packaging requirements.
    5.6 We will not accept any liability for any item that contains restricted items if
    the requirements for the acceptance of those items are not met.
    5.7 As the list of restricted items and requirements for each can change from
    time to time (see 5.7.15) we maintain a full, up-to-date list on our website

(www.royalmail.com) (which can be viewed at any time). The list and
    details quoted below were correct at the time of publication:

5.7.19 Guns for sporting use (Guns intended for sporting purposes -
    including Section 1 and Section 2 firearms, low-powered air guns
    and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law
    subject to any applicable controls on the possession of firearms
    5.7.19.1 Use First Class as the minimum service.
    5.7.19.2 The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on
    the outer packing.
    http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...naury-2017.pdf

The terms and conditions have been updated since I checked last year as they had been superseded by the online list, this has now been corrected. What IS of paramount importance is that you NEVER use the leaflet in the Post Office as the old one is well out of date and contains incorrect advice and the updated one STILL hasn't been corrected.

And, as implied, ALWAYS check online as the T&C's state that is the definitive list.
    Last edited by Squirrelking; 20-07-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post
    Just to correct a major point here - RM is FINE for anything from 1st class upwards but the rules on parcel sizes mean you can only send pistols:

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...detail/a_id/94

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...naury-2017.pdf

The terms and conditions have been updated since I checked last year as they had been superseded by the online list, this has now been corrected. What IS of paramount importance is that you NEVER use the leaflet in the Post Office as the old one is well out of date and contains incorrect advice and the updated one STILL hasn't been corrected.

And, as implied, ALWAYS check online as the T&C's state that is the definitive list.
    What is also of paramount importance if you are posting PCP or CO2 pistols or rifles is the "no pressurised vessels even if empty" ruling - makes it a bit of a Russian roulette if you decide to chance it through surface only PF48. With £100 max compensation even more of a gamble.

Aye, not a huge fan of the gamble myself, sent a few legit CO2 guns with no powerlets but not keen on PCPs. TBH I'd sooner just do RFD transfer and sleep better.