Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Office and Royal Mail

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

Post Office and Royal Mail

Just another reminder to all concerned !!!
    I purchased a Umarex co2 Colt online at Freeads. It didnt arrive so I asked the seller to check and asked what service he used , 2nd class post was his reply, oh no said I.
    Today he went to check where it is and yes, you guessed, it has been destroyed. How can they do that he asked, not illegal, not their property, surely they should have returned it to sender. I told him no, nothing he can do and although I feel sorry for him, return my money.
    A lesson to be remembered. Parcelforce 48 hour every time
    Taken from Royal Mails own web site. Prohibited items
    Weapons Including Section 5 firearms (e.g. handguns, machine guns), CS gas and pepper sprays, flick knives and other knives that are banned knives under UK laws, tasers and stun guns. Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Guns for sporting use, including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles), Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms and low-powered air weapons may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms.

Surely they are at fault as it was sent in compliance with UK law, Delay for further checks yes but not destroy
    Last edited by schony; 15-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.

It wasn't the pistol that was the problem, he probably left the co2 capsule in it. These are banned as pressure vessels by the PO.

Yes he said he packed 10 co2 with it

normaly the post office asks whats inside parcel,he musnt have said co2 cartridges (what ever they called).i used to buy n sell darts they were mustard to post,used to get 20 questions off bird behind counter.

Apparently all parcels are scanned and anything looking suspicious is taken to one side and opened

The co2 was the problem. It's on the prohibited list.

As far as I remember there is only one firearm educated guy in the Belfast hub and if he is not there they no doubt keep them till he is on shift. Maybe some one got destruction happy and sent it to be destroyed.

It was not posted within the regulations due to the c02 . So it's the senders fault. He did not research the rulings.

It must have been the co2. I never thought to ask him or advise him on what service to use. His responsibility, however having said that I will now ALWAYS make sure they use PF 48.
    How about airsoft with gas magazines? would they be liable the same as the mag is pressurised? even if empty?

Quote Originally Posted by schony View Post
    It must have been the co2. I never thought to ask him or advise him on what service to use. His responsibility, however having said that I will now ALWAYS make sure they use PF 48.
    How about airsoft with gas magazines? would they be liable the same as the mag is pressurised? even if empty?
    It's pressurised vessels. If sending anything like that it's going to be difficult. Some say only safe way is by an RFD. they will have a different account to the public but even then they may have difficulty in sending some items. I tried to get an RFD to send a dive tank for me. Only one could do it. The same carrier that the dive bottle company use may not take a dive bottle from an RFD as it's a different account that the dive bottle company use.

From what I have seen on here .you send it as "ground delivery only.no flying" but a pressure vessel ? I'm not sure.

You will only get people "own views" on here but some on here know the score. Angry bear and logunner are the two I trust among a few others to have the right advice on here. One being an ex royal mail worker that helped people "find" lost items for members on here.

Another oddity is Li-on batteries
    you must declare & a sticker is affixed to the package, the odd bit is
    UK - batteries must be installed in the item
    Overseas - batteries removed from item but ok in the package

I also sold 2 DS mags to America on , sent via the postal system. package intercepted & presumably destroyed, the buyer was refunded & i got to keep the money too

What logic is there in diverting a "pressure vessel" on a journey further to another destination than it was addressed to go, for checking and "destruction". Longer journey and destruction more risk than just delivering it to the owner. What are the statistics of people who have been blown up with a 12 grm CO2 capsule ?

A lot of rules are made up by people with little knowledge of the subject matter.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    What logic is there in diverting a "pressure vessel" on a journey further to another destination than it was addressed to go, for checking and "destruction". Longer journey and destruction more risk than just delivering it to the owner. What are the statistics of people who have been blown up with a 12 grm CO2 capsule ?

A lot of rules are made up by people with little knowledge of the subject matter.

Baz
    End of the day it's them that sets the rules. Don't like their rules go elsewhere but then there is no where else to go unless you find a specific courier .

As I said above. The same courier that delivered dive tanks to my local RFD would not lift mine from there to go down south. Different account types. They did find one but it was going to be £40 just for the tank. Buyer was not willing to pay that for a free due tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post

Baz

Your statement on "knowledge of the subject matter" confirms how little knowledge you have of the subject matter.

A large percentage of RM goes by aircraft, aviation rules do not allow pressurised containers. The journey to Belfast is by Sea so low risk... Also to be considered is the mechanical handling and sortation equipment used in processing the mail, again a risk if a pressurised item becomes trapped.

Feel free to correct me if your knowledge on this is greater than mine..

So why was the pistol destroyed (kept by postie more like) if it was the co2 which was the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Your statement on "knowledge of the subject matter" confirms how little knowledge you have of the subject matter.

A large percentage of RM goes by aircraft, aviation rules do not allow pressurised containers. The journey to Belfast is by Sea so low risk... Also to be considered is the mechanical handling and sortation equipment used in processing the mail, again a risk if a pressurised item becomes trapped.

Feel free to correct me if your knowledge on this is greater than mine..
    How are traders cylinders allowed then when Joe Public`s arnt

http://www./itm/Bike-CO2-pump-cycle-...EAAOSwa~BYPGrI

lease note:

FREE POSTAGE covers only UK MAINLAND

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    So why was the pistol destroyed (kept by postie more like) if it was the co2 which was the problem?
    Ask the post office. They decided it was to be destroyed. And it's not the first or last one either.

Don't abide by their rules and lose your airgun.

Maybe they don't have any one firearms educated .I may have been wrong about the firearms educated guy in the post office.maybe it was the airport.
    Last edited by bighit; 15-07-2017 at 07:04 PM.