Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Post Office and Royal Mail

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    I have it on excellent account of a senior RM manager that all of Britains mail delivery is now by road and ferry. They only fly the post over seas, naturally. That's not to say that RM don't X ray boxes routinely especially if the sender has said either the wrong thing or too much at the post office.
    Wonder why all those planes keep flying between UK airports? They x-ray all mail that goes by air.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post


    I can understand the far reaches of the Scottish islands having to be reached by aircraft but everywhere else according to my pal goes by road. That would explain why there are multiple depot 'hubs' strategically placed across the country. Remember the fact that Britain is only a little country. Easy to get freight where it needs to be when you have LGV drivers willing to do the distance for only a score an hour
    And the driving time from London to Glasgow? Penzance to Newcastle? Carlisle to Gt Yarmouth?

    Last post 6pm, back to local office, to mail sort centre, to hub, to mail sort centre, to local office.... yes of course it all goes by road in this tiny little country!

    RM HGV's restricted to 56mph and it is a there and back journey in the driving hours...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,276
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post


    I can understand the far reaches of the Scottish islands having to be reached by aircraft but everywhere else according to my pal goes by road. That would explain why there are multiple depot 'hubs' strategically placed across the country. Remember the fact that Britain is only a little country. Easy to get freight where it needs to be when you have LGV drivers willing to do the distance for only a score an hour
    Well your pal is wrong, depending on the service some mail goes by air some by road,
    I've had an air gun sent RMSD refused by the CAA, so it was sent by road, not only did I get an apology for the delay I also got the cost refunded,
    but I was very lucky that the buyer phoned me as soon as the postie passed his house & I phoned RM immediately gave them the ref number told them it was an airgun so it was sent on by road before it was diverted to Belfast.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Tovil nr Maidstone
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well your pal is wrong, depending on the service some mail goes by air some by road,
    I've had an air gun sent RMSD refused by the CAA, so it was sent by road, not only did I get an apology for the delay I also got the cost refunded,
    but I was very lucky that the buyer phoned me as soon as the postie passed his house & I phoned RM immediately gave them the ref number told them it was an airgun so it was sent on by road before it was diverted to Belfast.
    Are you honestly suggesting a parcel sent from Newcastle to Penzance would be flown there? A parcel that has just cost me 11.99 RMSD ?? Seriously
    You can really tell the guy's on here who spend their entire working lives as blinkered PAYE slaves. You've really got to know how to run a business before you actually understand how it all works in reality.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Are you honestly suggesting a parcel sent from Newcastle to Penzance would be flown there? A parcel that has just cost me 11.99 RMSD ?? Seriously
    You can really tell the guy's on here who spend their entire working lives as blinkered PAYE slaves. You've really got to know how to run a business before you actually understand how it all works in reality.
    Just for clarity... I know the business, I was a manager in the distribution network for long enough to know how it was done. Great retirement package as well

    Learn Logistics then comment on how it should be done

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poole, Deepest darkest Dooorset
    Posts
    13,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    Unaccompanied they are not allowed. RM do not set avaition rules they just follow them, it's as simple as that. If I had the inclination I could search the link that proves the avaition rules but it's been done so many times....
    You mean unaccompanied as in like a PCP air rifle that didn't travel with me but arrived on a later flight because I made the connection but my luggage didn't?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    stoke-on-trent
    Posts
    229
    very late in on the topic but, has any one actualy followed up by checking the actual laws? the post office isnt a law agency, as such they cant actualy set laws.
    they can say pritty much what they want on their web site etc, but if it contravines the actual law...taint worth the paper it's written on.


    i.e. if they arnt backed by the law for real they are indeed tampering with the post.(which i beleive is against the law?).

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,276
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    You mean unaccompanied as in like a PCP air rifle that didn't travel with me but arrived on a later flight because I made the connection but my luggage didn't?
    Again that's a different situation, it would have been booked in as accompanied baggage and from there it was an airline mistake that it did not accompany you.

    It's also quite likely that it was already loaded in to a flight container & the container itself missed the flight, as the contents had already been approved it would simply remain sealed & go on the next available flight.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
    very late in on the topic but, has any one actualy followed up by checking the actual laws? the post office isnt a law agency, as such they cant actualy set laws.
    they can say pritty much what they want on their web site etc, but if it contravines the actual law...taint worth the paper it's written on.


    i.e. if they arnt backed by the law for real they are indeed tampering with the post.(which i beleive is against the law?).
    OK well you show me a law that says they must carry any particular named product!!

    The Post office is simply the company that runs a number of "shops" where services are booked & paid for, Royal Mail & ParcelForce are the companies that carry the goods from A to B, they are independent companies who themselves have to comply with international law on shipping "dangerous goods" which is why they cannot over rule the CAA (civil aviation authority) over what can & cannot fly as unaccompanied freight. (and unless you have worked within aviation rules you will have no idea just how petty those rules can be).

    As the company who carry the goods both RM & PF can also decide what they will or will not carry,
    for those of you who don't know they did try to ban guns completely (2005 iirc) but a case was put to the ombudsman that they were the only company providing such a shipping service to the public & they were ordered to continue to provide it, but even that is not a law.

    It is within their contract that a suspicious package can be inspected, and stated in their rules that any prohibited item found may be destroyed without recourse to the owner.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ramsbottom
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoogey View Post
    very late in on the topic but, has any one actualy followed up by checking the actual laws? the post office isnt a law agency, as such they cant actualy set laws.
    they can say pritty much what they want on their web site etc, but if it contravines the actual law...taint worth the paper it's written on.


    i.e. if they arnt backed by the law for real they are indeed tampering with the post.(which i beleive is against the law?).
    The carriage of Dangerous and Restricted Goods by is covered under current ICAO/IATA regulations. The Post Office do not set the law, as you have pointed out, but they do have to apply the law. That means asking questions about contents and packaging. It might appear jobsworth and time consuming but there are serious penalties for post office staff if they don't abide by this.

    If a customer refuses to disclose the contents (or doesn't know - common when people ask to post things on their behalf) then we can and will refuse to accept it. If a customer lies then it is their responsibility. Once a package enters the RM system behind the post office counter, then it cannot be interfered with unless there is clear evidence of it being hazardous and a risk to people, propert and 'planes.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Poole, Deepest darkest Dooorset
    Posts
    13,397
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Again that's a different situation, it would have been booked in as accompanied baggage and from there it was an airline mistake that it did not accompany you.

    It's also quite likely that it was already loaded in to a flight container & the container itself missed the flight, as the contents had already been approved it would simply remain sealed & go on the next available flight.
    Nope. Some items made it, some didn't. It was a transfer so the items were unloaded. The problem was further compounded by the items not being stored in Brussels firearms area, they were left in general baggage. The rifle and another firearm marked baggage became separated. One was delivered, another left near the door on an unsecured warehouse.

    IATA classes compressed gases as Class 2 Dangerous Goods. Not prohibited goods. They can fly when the correct processes are followed. That is probably not what RM want to do so they don't. Fair enough. But it isn't against flying regs for compressed air to fly unaccompanied or otherwise.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,276
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Nope. Some items made it, some didn't. It was a transfer so the items were unloaded. The problem was further compounded by the items not being stored in Brussels firearms area, they were left in general baggage. The rifle and another firearm marked baggage became separated. One was delivered, another left near the door on an unsecured warehouse.

    IATA classes compressed gases as Class 2 Dangerous Goods. Not prohibited goods. They can fly when the correct processes are followed. That is probably not what RM want to do so they don't. Fair enough. But it isn't against flying regs for compressed air to fly unaccompanied or otherwise.
    You seem to be trying to demonstrate that a rule doesn't exist because in a totally different set of circumstances, a rule that didn't apply under those circumstances, was not complied with

    Compressed gases/pressure vessels are prohibited, in the post, by RM/PF,

    Guns in the general post (air mail) are prohibited flight by the CAA.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Nope. Some items made it, some didn't. It was a transfer so the items were unloaded. The problem was further compounded by the items not being stored in Brussels firearms area, they were left in general baggage. The rifle and another firearm marked baggage became separated. One was delivered, another left near the door on an unsecured warehouse.

    IATA classes compressed gases as Class 2 Dangerous Goods. Not prohibited goods. They can fly when the correct processes are followed. That is probably not what RM want to do so they don't. Fair enough. But it isn't against flying regs for compressed air to fly unaccompanied or otherwise.
    I suspect the items were 'checked in' by you and therefore will be 'accompanied' so the rules are complied with... granted what happens after that is a lottery but compliance was undertaken in the first instance.

    Irrespective of IATA, the CAA set the rules by which RM abide.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    You mean unaccompanied as in like a PCP air rifle that didn't travel with me but arrived on a later flight because I made the connection but my luggage didn't?
    And that's RM's fault? Or the CAA's? Or is it just plain old human error?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    659
    All threads on 'posting' turn out like this.... people can't be arsed to follow the rules and it's RM's fault, wonder why that is?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •