Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete (look no hands) is going to be proud of me!

Lightbulb Pete (look no hands) is going to be proud of me!

Well, I haven't owned a BSA Boinger for years.

My first "proper" rifle after my Hungarian initiation was a Super Meteor. That little gun taught me how to shoot and bagged a fair few bunnies and many rats.

A blonde, slabby Mercury was my one and only gun for a few years afterwards and put plenty of meat in the pot.

I later also owned a Challenger and Supersport briefly and a slabby Airsporter and a Stutzen (even more briefly).

Well, today the freebie Supersport arrived.

Once I got home and walked and fed the Bremby Dog I went and grabbed the 'Sport. The Mrs was out so a quick initial plink was on.

The rifle has been "customised" somewhat. It has areas of stippling around the pistol grip and forend areas. And a white spacer and dark wood cap at the bottom of the pistol grip, which is screwed on. There's a hole in the butt section where a sling swivel has lived at some point. No rear sight and the front of the foresight has been broken off. On the barrel, just forward of the Piled Arms logo, there are some concentric marks, so guessing it's had a silencer. The rifle cocks very smoothly and the aroma of moly grease was evident; this gun's been fettled at some point. Finish on cylinder 6/10. Barrel 4/10. But, I like this patina of age and previous use, lending the gun an air of true working gun.

There's a scope atop, on two piece mounts with arrestor block. And I LOVE the scope. I've always got on with Nikkos. It's a 4x32 Special in Gloss Black, made in Japan. The reticle reminds me of the BSA 4x20 scope my old Super Meteor wore, with a horizontal line and a central post with point atop.

Got the Argos catalogue out down the hallway. Firstly at three yards, just to make sure the scope was somewhere near. It was. So, moved back to eight yards. Using Accupells, seven or eight shots straight down the same hole, about 5mm below the aimpoint. No twang. Moves a little but relatively mild mannered.

The dog's barking and needs to go out again.

Oh, yes, forgot to mention, it wears an obviously after-market / home made trigger blade. Trigger action not too shabby.

Yes, Pete, I'M LOVING THIS ALREADY.

Will be back on shortly after doggie walk (hopefully) and, Yep, remind me to mention the cocking link......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Yep, I'd imagine good guy Pete, aka look no hands will defo give you a big pat on the back for that, for sure, for being such a good Airgunning type chappie?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Cocking link.......

Although the cocking stroke is extremely smooth, on returning the barrel to the closed position, it's not so nice.

Looking through the cocking slot, one of the arms of the rearwards section of the link is splaying out. I think it's a very early version. I'm hoping that the pin will just push through from the other side. If I get the chance I'll whip the stock off tomorrow and have a little look.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Well what can I say, welcome back to the World of British airgunning at it's best

I am indeed very proud of you

I'm actually loving my Supersport, I really can't believe how much lighter it is than my Challengers/Mercury's and oh so pointable with the 10" barrel (in .25) on it (I know it'll be the same as a Lightning), I've wanted one of these Supersport Custom's since I saw one in the pages of an old Airgun World buyers guide but they have alluded me for many years (I don't know what it is but I just seem to love the BSA Deluxe Beech stocks), like we've discussed many a time, the standard Supersport really does fall short when compared to a comparable HW/Diana BUT if BSA had kept the features of the Custom model then it would have had something to put up a fight against the invading foreigners.

I'm just waiting for some decent weather so I can take some decent photos of it and also chuck some decent size slabs of lead down the garden, the sound of those .25 pellets hitting things really do put a massive smile on your face

I suppose you're going to want me to buy a 99 now to return the gesture (so to speak)

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

CannonFodder is offline Brown envelope round the back Squire...
    Very interesting thread. When I got back into airguns about 20 years ago the first rifle I bought was a Supersport. I wondered what the differences are, besides the stock?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Well, I haven't owned a BSA Boinger for years.

My first "proper" rifle after my Hungarian initiation was a Super Meteor. That little gun taught me how to shoot and bagged a fair few bunnies and many rats.

A blonde, slabby Mercury was my one and only gun for a few years afterwards and put plenty of meat in the pot.

I later also owned a Challenger and Supersport briefly and a slabby Airsporter and a Stutzen (even more briefly).

Well, today the freebie Supersport arrived.

Once I got home and walked and fed the Bremby Dog I went and grabbed the 'Sport. The Mrs was out so a quick initial plink was on.

The rifle has been "customised" somewhat. It has areas of stippling around the pistol grip and forend areas. And a white spacer and dark wood cap at the bottom of the pistol grip, which is screwed on. There's a hole in the butt section where a sling swivel has lived at some point. No rear sight and the front of the foresight has been broken off. On the barrel, just forward of the Piled Arms logo, there are some concentric marks, so guessing it's had a silencer. The rifle cocks very smoothly and the aroma of moly grease was evident; this gun's been fettled at some point. Finish on cylinder 6/10. Barrel 4/10. But, I like this patina of age and previous use, lending the gun an air of true working gun.

There's a scope atop, on two piece mounts with arrestor block. And I LOVE the scope. I've always got on with Nikkos. It's a 4x32 Special in Gloss Black, made in Japan. The reticle reminds me of the BSA 4x20 scope my old Super Meteor wore, with a horizontal line and a central post with point atop.

Got the Argos catalogue out down the hallway. Firstly at three yards, just to make sure the scope was somewhere near. It was. So, moved back to eight yards. Using Accupells, seven or eight shots straight down the same hole, about 5mm below the aimpoint. No twang. Moves a little but relatively mild mannered.

The dog's barking and needs to go out again.

Oh, yes, forgot to mention, it wears an obviously after-market / home made trigger blade. Trigger action not too shabby.

Yes, Pete, I'M LOVING THIS ALREADY.

Will be back on shortly after doggie walk (hopefully) and, Yep, remind me to mention the cocking link......
    Sounds good to me. I'm glad it turned up and your having fun with it already!!!

Well, Pete.

When I had that first one of mine I wanted to avoid the Maxigrip rail, so I bought a standard one and then the Custom stock. I probably let them go altogether, I really can't remember. It'd be nice if a rummage around in my dad's garage revealed the Custom stock. That one back then was a .177 and was a snarling, snappy little thing. This one's altogether so much smoother in .22 and, of course, I'm not sure what degree of fettling it has been treated to.

I'll have to take a look at that cocking link. And run it over the chrono, too. If all seems well, I may leave the internals for now but treat it to a HW breech seal as the one fitted does look a little jaded.

The stock feels lovely. When I first saw pictures of it many months ago I feared it may be an absolute horror looks wise. But it's not so bad and, as I say, feels very wieldy and handy.

I hope you have immense fun lobbing them big lumps of lead downrange.....enjoy!

And, yes, everyone loves a Flake, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    Sounds good to me. I'm glad it turned up and your having fun with it already!!!
    Loving it, Mike, cheers.

I rang the shop re the Vigilante swap back today, but there was no answer. Hoping they're open tomorrow so I can sort that out, but then that'll use up precious boinger playtime if I'm to go over there (50 miles round trip) plus all the other bits I'll have to do. Be good to get it sorted, though.

Well, Pete.

When I had that first one of mine I wanted to avoid the Maxigrip rail, so I bought a standard one and then the Custom stock. I probably let them go altogether, I really can't remember. It'd be nice if a rummage around in my dad's garage revealed the Custom stock. That one back then was a .177 and was a snarling, snappy little thing. This one's altogether so much smoother in .22 and, of course, I'm not sure what degree of fettling it has been treated to.

I'll have to take a look at that cocking link. And run it over the chrono, too. If all seems well, I may leave the internals for now but treat it to a HW breech seal as the one fitted does look a little jaded.

The stock feels lovely. When I first saw pictures of it many months ago I feared it may be an absolute horror looks wise. But it's not so bad and, as I say, feels very wieldy and handy.

I hope you have immense fun lobbing them big lumps of lead downrange.....enjoy!

And, yes, everyone loves a Flake, don't they?
    I've still got too sort a few things out with mine, it seems to have the horrid "click" from the articulate cocking arm when cocking and I did notice the little plasticy pad that BSA staple to the stock in the cocking link channel has completely vanished and just been left with a rusty staple (now removed) so I'll have to do something about that, the stock could do with refinishing and the bluing could do with a reblack but it's perfectly presentable as is.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I’m pleased you’ve got it now Tone and I’m pleased you’re pleased
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Loving the feel and how it shoots, Pauly.

Going to require a little bit of work after having a bit more of a look........

Starting thread on cocking slide......

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Glad to hear you like it Tony
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Glad to hear you like it Tony
    Well, if it makes any sense at all, Pete, I've been missing that nice, big breech opening (it's a .22). It feels so familiar even after all these years of non-Beesa ownership, but I did spend a lot of time with BSA break barrels in my earlier days.

I really appreciate the fact that it hasn't for the infamous wobbly breech.

And you know what? That old Nikko is fair battered and bruised on the outside, but it's lovely.

Well, if it makes any sense at all, Pete, I've been missing that nice, big breech opening (it's a .22). It feels so familiar even after all these years of non-Beesa ownership, but I did spend a lot of time with BSA break barrels in my earlier days.

I really appreciate the fact that it hasn't for the infamous wobbly breech.

And you know what? That old Nikko is fair battered and bruised on the outside, but it's lovely.
    I mentioned this before Tony but have you thought about getting the breech pin area machined to fit a later Mercury/Challenger breech bolt and nut?

That'll stop any future sloppiness

Pete

Hi Pete, yes, it's on the list of possible things to do to the old girl.

Firstly, though, it's going to need some attention to the cocking slide (another thread running). But before I commit to any sizeable spending I ought to have a peek inside and see if it warrants it. It cocks smoothly and the firing cycle is very nice and there's an unmistakeable aroma of moly grease. It's obviously been fettled at some point. Having a look inside to confirm that all is well will be prudent, methinks.