Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jsb batches

If it's any help, our club imports about £300 to £400 worth of JSB pellets every month, and we haven't had any bad batches in terms of damage or poor manufacture for a year or so. Bear in mind though that some pellets are made with newer dies. For example, the Exact RS in 22 calibre is better made than the normal Exact Jumbo 15.9 grain, and it appears the 5.51 Jumbos are better than the 5.52 Jumbos. Everything in 177 appears to be well made. The 10.3 grain heavies are popular, another convert today.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If it's any help, our club imports about £300 to £400 worth of JSB pellets every month, and we haven't had any bad batches in terms of damage or poor manufacture for a year or so. Bear in mind though that some pellets are made with newer dies. For example, the Exact RS in 22 calibre is better made than the normal Exact Jumbo 15.9 grain, and it appears the 5.51 Jumbos are better than the 5.52 Jumbos. Everything in 177 appears to be well made. The 10.3 grain heavies are popular, another convert today.
    Now that's what I needed to hear thank you rich as always a gentleman. I look forward to visiting your club again soon.
    Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well, I've seen that original post/thread as well but it gives no machine press number and it's the press & die that matter.

I have an e-mail from AA telling me how to read the label on their tin (JSB made) which says press & die are all that matters, their first 2 are the press & best I can work out, by cross referring the tins, what you call the batch is actually the die number.

I'd also contradict the "always 00" bit because it isn't on any of my tins.

edit, I've just e-mailed them to ask.
    You are not making much sense Angrybear.I think what you maybe don't realise is that AA JSB's do not use the same numbers or configuration of numbers as on the JSB branded tins. Press and die is the same number really, ......on AA tins it is the first number before the date. Then the supposed size(which is usually wrong), then batch.

By the way it is now well proven that the sizes on JSB and AA tins mean absolutely nothing, so forget that bit. Also a die number with a different date is most likely not the same pellet as something will have changed.

Most JSB and AA pellets have been quite good over the last year or so in most guns that suit them, but they do vary from batch to batch. Die 8, 54,45 and 10 seem to have been quite good recently. Not too many bad ones though.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 16-07-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    You are not making much sense Angrybear.I think what you maybe don't realise is that AA JSB's do not use the same numbers or configuration of numbers as on the JSB branded tins. Press and die is the same number really, ......on AA tins it is the first number before the date. Then the supposed size(which is usually wrong), then batch.

By the way it is now well proven that the sizes on JSB and AA tins mean absolutely nothing, so forget that bit. Also a die number with a different date is most likely not the same pellet as something will have changed.

Most JSB and AA pellets have been quite good over the last year or so in most guns that suit them, but they do vary from batch to batch. Die 8, 54,45 and 10 seem to have been quite good recently. Not too many bad ones though.
    No, the press is the machine that the dies are fitted in to,
    if the same set of dies is used in two different presses it's likely that different levels of wear & tear tolerance within the actual machine will produce slightly different finished pellets as a result.

The numbers may be in a different order but they will/should contain the same required information.

Quote Originally Posted by leeben View Post
    I've not bought any in a long time, last batch were 14 and were fine in the guns I had at the time.
    Any good or bad feedback on the current batches please.
    The batches are just batches of pellets. They are neither " good " or " bad ". it is your barrel that is the determining factor and not the pellet. Just buy a tin and test it in your barrel. That is the only way to tell. What works for one does not work for the other so one can not generalise it.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    The batches are just batches of pellets. They are neither " good " or " bad ". it is your barrel that is the determining factor and not the pellet. Just buy a tin and test it in your barrel. That is the only way to tell. What works for one does not work for the other so one can not generalise it.

A.G
    Thanks for your reply, my barrel likes jsb and as I said in a previous post I bought a huge stock in 2014 of which are coming to an end and wanted to know if they were still top quality as things do change. But yes a test Tin is the way buddy.
    I will leave the others to the press n die garb as its wasting time I could spend sleeping 🤣🤣🤣
    thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post

A.G
    A die that is good in one type/make of barrel is usually good in others of the same type, it's not guaranteed, but there is a trend.

Steyr bucks the trend as there seem to be a few types, and what suits lothar walther barrelled guns such as the Air Arms range, don't always suit BSA or Weihrauch and vica versa.

Brian Samson has been doing some experiments on visitors to his range with different dies and batches. Some interesting findings are coming out, although there are always some oddball guns.

Good luck with your search for a good batch, but I think there are a lot of decent batches at the moment.
    BASC