Thread: Crosman 1701 Silhouette

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom

Crosman 1701 Silhouette

Hi Guys

I just got one of these for my better half to have a play with. She was looking for a step up from her PP700 PCP - which bang for buck is a cracking gun, but obviously a bit rough round the edges at it's price point of around £200. I had a look at some serious target stuff like the Steyr L10 (£1350) as there did not seem to be much between the PP700 and the top end gear, but for what this will be used for, paying over a grand to shoot spinners and paper targets for fun was just a step too far, so no Steyrs - at least in pistol form for now. These Crosmans are still not cheap, but at around £550 new there was not an awful lot else out there on the second hand market with was both a PCP and ambi/left handed. Add on a good shot count and an 11mm dovetail to take a red dot sight and the range narrows again. So for a fairly modern looking PCP target(ish) pistol that would be available second hand and under a few hundred pounds there was very little choice.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Km84X0zFJfRzlAj2

I bought this one of a fellow member, and am happy to say it's all good. It's .177 and shoots very well. I was zeroing it at 10m rested with a cheapish red dot sight and was getting 5p sized groups, they grew to around 20p sized when free hand, but this is no reflection on the gun, it's just my shooting, and I'd done the rested bit first just to make sure of it. It's cronoing around 4fpe, not as consistent as any of my rifles, but it does not really seem to matter as much for pistols given the distances and the fact they are mostly standing and held freehand. I was getting around 70+ shots from 200bar, well more than the manufacturer states and it kept going down to 50bar at around 90 shots and still be fairly accurate at 10m until I finally thought enough is enough, how is this thing still even working - but it was now shooting at 2fpe LOL .

The handles are a bit cheapish, not so good for a gun costing this much, but I may spend an extra few pounds and get some better, dedicated left hand ones for my wife. The action was smooth, and the trigger ok, but will probably just need some fettling to get it to the right pull weight. The accuracy is good - for me and the wife at least, and I could double the price of the gun and not gain anything, but it is nicer to use than the PP700, although this still remains an impressive gun for the money.

It has a push in/out safety, and the pellets are easy to load with loads of room over the pellet prob. The cocking is smooth and easy, but on a 4fpe pistol you would expect nothing less. It had the option of a rear sight, but as I use a red dot it was of no use to me, so I didn't bother, the fore sight remains in place though.

So overall I'm happy with it. It's significantly better than a PP700, but obviously almost three times the price, but it does let you get a bit more into target shooting at a reasonable budget without splashing out into the competition stuff which costs a small fortune.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Glad you got sorted James ,
    I was expecting you to be the first club member with a new HW44
    Hope the wife enjoys it .
    I better get some practice in on the pistol HFT now

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    I was expecting you to be the first club member with a new HW44
    Unavailable till September

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired