Thread: Inspired by a 35 thread.....

Question Inspired by a 35 thread.....

As Arthur John was saying really I was wondering if something nice & smooth, pleasant to shoot could be achieved by lowering the power of a 97k?
    Now I'm not looking for a low power gun here more the nice shot cycle, & whatever power it comes out as is what it is if you know what I mean., does it work with springers the same as rammers where a nice 10ftlbs is so much nicer?
    I'm looking to squeeze as much pure pleasure from a 97 as I can find as I think it will be mainly a bash gun maybe target but no real hunting, so before buying I'm checking the options in readiness.
    Thanks
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

It MAY be nicer at slightly lower power Rhys. But, even the earlier 25mm guns have enough swept volume to make full power (ie safely under the limit) and still retain excellent shooting manners.

Of course, going a little off-tangent, if one was aiming to reduce the power right down to 6ft.lbs (say for indoor paper), shortening the stroke and balancing eveything else up would result in something VERY special indeed.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It MAY be nicer at slightly lower power Rhys. But, even the earlier 25mm guns have enough swept volume to make full power (ie safely under the limit) and still retain excellent shooting manners.

Of course, going a little off-tangent, if one was aiming to reduce the power right down to 6ft.lbs (say for indoor paper), shortening the stroke and balancing eveything else up would result in something VERY special indeed.
    Mmmmmm., So a shorter stroke & lower power can improve manners and in turn achievable accuracy? I think dropping to 6ftlbs is a bit too much for me, I for some reason had 9-10 in my head. I'm also currently favoring a .20 just as I know I like the merrits of .177 and the perceived improved manners, pellet handling and of coarse thwack of the .22. I think it would just be nice to have a really smooth accurate "everything fun" gun which has the potential for some more "serious" shooting if you know what I mean.
    I've always found it hard to cram all the best bits into one rifle but moving away from making it more target plinker (which could take the odd pigeon) rather than hunting plinker that's being used for everything is a bit exciting for me, it's a whole different set of priorities and peramiters that seem to be a bit easier to meet
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Just a nice, old fashioned spit and polish tune and properly fitting guides will see a 25mm one shooting oh so sweetly, even at full power, Rhys. No need to de-tune, really, unless you just had the burning desire to do so.

Supposedly, the 26mm versions do benefit from a slight short stroking and piston lightening.

If you were adamant that 8 or 9 is to be your desired output, I have no doubt that a suitable short stroking and matching spring will yield a lovely, super-smooth and benign cycle. A bit like a HW30S with more weight to deaden the already low recoil even more so. This suppressed recoil and learning the trajectory inside out will make for a very usable and accurate gun at Bash ranges.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Just a nice, old fashioned spit and polish tune and properly fitting guides will see a 25mm one shooting oh so sweetly, even at full power, Rhys. No need to de-tune, really, unless you just had the burning desire to do so.

Supposedly, the 26mm versions do benefit from a slight short stroking and piston lightening.

If you were adamant that 8 or 9 is to be your desired output, I have no doubt that a suitable short stroking and matching spring will yield a lovely, super-smooth and benign cycle. A bit like a HW30S with more weight to deaden the already low recoil even more so. This suppressed recoil and learning the trajectory inside out will make for a very usable and accurate gun at Bash ranges.
    Thanks Tony