Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for "practical" Co2 pistol

Suggestions for "practical" Co2 pistol

My club has recently set up a "Practical Pistol" set up for CO2 pistols, and I'm thinking about splashing out on one so I can have a play.

I do have an old Umarex Beretta 92, the ones with the round aluminium 8 shot mags and double action only, (unless you manually cock the hammer) but I fancy one of the new blowback ones.

So some questions....

I've seen comments on here from 6-12 months ago, has anything major changed in quality, features etc since then..?

I quite fancy the SIG 226 or SIG 320, but I've seen bad reviews in here about the 226, and from the US about the 320, anyone have first hand experience of them recently??

I assume that pellets are more accurate than BB's..??

I know its dangerous, everyone has their own preference, but what do people recommend..?

TIA

Daryll.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    These 2 I would recommend-

https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/air-w...ustom-177.html

or-

https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/air-w...ustom-177.html

I use these for practical and IPAS. (or did until I moved 250 miles last friday!) Accurate for a BB pistol, proper working controls so correct IPSC safety and holstering skills can be taught and used. Apart from the power source they function identically to the real steel pistol, both heavy with a very strong kick!

Don't get hung up about accuracy of BB's, IPSC will be shot at very close range, No more than 20' to replicate real life scenarios. So these will be fine- likewise you'll be shooting at paper targets stapled to Cardboard boxes stacked up as necessary, with some in a chair (sitting down hostage/baddie!)

The examples above are for descriptive use only, sure you can source them nearer to home. Our sponsor supplies the CO2 capsules at a very sensible price imo.

Have fun!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

If you want a pellet blowback, I'd recommend (from experience) an ASG CZ75 P09. Mines done well over 2000 pellets and never skipped a beat. Even better with a rail and a red dot fitted

Thanks Gents, both the Tan and the CZ look good, although I think i'd go for the CZ... Just need to find somewhere local that has them..

D

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    If you want a pellet blowback, I'd recommend (from experience) an ASG CZ75 P09. Mines done well over 2000 pellets and never skipped a beat. Even better with a rail and a red dot fitted
    The description is metal and plastic construction. Whats the low down from an experienced owner? Metal heavyweight or plastic fantastic?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The description is metal and plastic construction. Whats the low down from an experienced owner? Metal heavyweight or plastic fantastic?
    Metal slide, but much of the rest is plastic- not unusual in these kinds of "replicas" that are made to resemble modern handguns that are partially plastic to a varying degree. Decent enough weight and not at all flimsy. Uses a 2x8 shot double ended mag. Decent blowback.

It doesn't tick all the boxes for those who want an "exact replica" in that there is no ejection port cut out and doesn't lock back on the last round, then again, personally this doesn't bother me because:
    1. I know its a "replica" and have no illusions about it being a "real steel"
    2. An ejection port cut out is pretty pointless as there is nothing to eject-IMHO it would just be a muck-trap
    3. No-one has come up with a feed mech that will lock back on a blowback pellet pistol

Most clubs wont allow bbs.
    Most pellet blowbacks disappoint.

I would still rate the CP88 for this type of course.

As already said, PP shooting is short range and the targets ate quite large. "Precision" shooting it isn't - more about speed so BB pistols are fine. You can use lead BBs at clubs where steel are banned (because of rebounds) if allowed.

On some courses of fire reloads will be needed - either mandatory of because of the length of the stage (number of shots).

So, if you want to dabble for a bit of fun I'd suggest something like an RAC 1911 and these are not daft expensive. Plus a spare magazine.

I use one of these for the Police Pistol competition (and some of the other comps as well) in the Umarex Boys Club monthly matches - great fun.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

Practical pistol good fun, used to do it in South Africa with .45 and 9 mil. Best fun is "house clearing" if you set up a scenario, especially with "innocents" involved. For airgun obviously cant use steel bb because of ricochets, but lead bb and pellet OK. If you want to beat everyone else for speed and accuracy you can use the MP651K pistol which shoots pellets and lead bb's, single or double action. People who have never had one of these run them down, but once you have used them you realise how good they are. Just buy the standard pistol without all the rifle gubbins, and they are cheap. See pic..

Baz

http://imgur.com/a/B5FCO
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Having been beaten by Baz with one of these I agree.
    Couldn't remember name of it.

Another vote for the 1911 (any kwc variant) here.
    Also the sig x five open. Very accurate for bb shooters

I'm with Baz on the 651. Much underrated. Grip like a 1911, very low bore line, decent trigger. I do have the "carbine" bits that turn it into something from Blakes' Seven, but they are basically useless from a shooting point of view.

Question A little confused

As you might guess from my post count, I'm new here - and trying to learn and understand what UK IPSC is all about. If I was to get involved with any form of sports shooting, the IPSC Pistol discipline would be the one I'd go for. However I've just downloaded a PDF of the UK IPSC 'Action Air' Handgun rules and I'm confused by rule 5.1.2 - 'Approved Action Air Handguns are those which fire projectiles of 6mm diameter' - which surely means airsoft pistols only?

However from what I read above suggests that .177 BB/Pellet pistols are also accepted disciplines at certain clubs? I have an Umarex Colt CO2 1911 A1 .177 BB pistol and have the Webley 'Accu BB' lead/full copper jackets for it, and it would be great to have a go with this at an IPSC match, if allowed. Otherwise it's an airsoft 1911 variant that I'll be getting to use instead - which is ok I guess as they are very realistic gas blow-backs as well. But less accurate I thought for target shooting.
    "You make contact with your customer. Understand their needs. And then flog them something they could well do without.” - Arthur Daley

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    When I did Practical Pistol, almost everyone - including me - used Tokyo Marui Hi Capa 5.1's in 6mm bb, using 'green' gas (actually we tended to use higher pressure 'black' gas), modified to one extent or another. A few people tried CO2 but generally it was expensive in caplets, a bit of a hassle, and most of the time ended up smashing the guns to bits. TM hi capas have a vast aftermarket spares industry and are easy to work on. Priority modification is a metal slide because the plastic one will crack if you are using black gas. I liked to keep mine fairly stock-looking (although I did short-stroke it), but some people spent....a LOT of money. A lot. TBH you don't have to, a lot of it is in the mind; Reliability is the most important thing.
    At one place I shot practical you could have used a pellet pistol, but if you had done so you would have been at a distinct advantage when it came to speed reloading and pace of fire. BB guns are plenty accurate at the range and for the size of targets you shoot in practical.

For IPAS I used an Umarex S+W 586 - perfect if you have a slightly larger hand. Also a slight advantage in that it is 10-shot. Most other people used a mix of CP88s and 586s, with the odd Umarex 1911 thrown in. Again the Umarex pistols have been around for years so there are plenty of spares available.
    Only went to a couple of IPAS matches where BBs were allowed. If outside they suffered greatly in the wind and at longer targets, semi auto was not a massive advantage as far as I could see.

Doing something like IPAS or practical sorts the men from the boys when it comes to pistols. You'll put a hell of a lot of shots through in one day or evening, equivalent to months of normal plinking duty. Anything with reliability issues quickly falls by the wayside. The above will work, a lot of guns won't.
    Good deals with these members

At our club we do I.P.A.S
    We do not allow bb's of any sort due to ricochets .
    Whilst blowback pistols are great fun, we find that most people use the Smith and Wesson revolver, the Walther CP88 competition or the Colt 1911 .
    Most of all , enjoy it !