Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
Sadly while the Umarex 1911 (pellet) looks much like a 1911 in pictures, it doesn't really shoot like one. It feels quite 'fat' in the hand and the trigger is an odd two-part affair. So I'd try before you buy if possible. It's probably the least accurate of their replicas.

Yes 4.5mm BB is a bit useless if you want to take it places. Nothing wrong with their accuracy at IPAS and IPSC ranges however.
TBH you're much better served in the airsoft world though - massive variety of models that have been around for years, lots of people shooting them under rough conditions so plenty of feedback if it doesn't stand up. A Tanfoglio Witness 1911 despite being a very faithful replica doesn't bear any comparison to a TM 1911 for reliability or aftermarket support - try getting 7 or 8 mags for a Witness!

It's a shame that IPAS and IPSC ended up being somewhat segregated when it came to guns. As niche sports I felt they could both have benefited with a wider variety of pistols in use. There were times in IPAS when a true semi-auto would have been blisteringly fast, and times in IPSC when the accuracy of a pellet shooter wold have made all the difference.
Hi eyebull, again thank you for your very useful input! I have been very busy the last month or so educating myself and I've decided to go down the airsoft route - as you say, way more application and availability, plus the airsoft 1911 is closer to the real thing. I have a Marui MEU and a ton of Guarder upgrade parts for a project I'll be doing with a Springfield Armory TRP kit, where 'real steel' parts will also be used to add to the authenticity (barrel bushing/trigger/recoil plug/grips). TM are a very high quality Japanese manufacturer of airsoft guns so I'm glad I took the time to learn about this properly, and get the right stuff.

Shame the IPAS/IPSC sport has become segregated, I do hope to have a go at this sport at some stage.