Thread: mounts for 80's period japanese scopes

mounts for 80's period japanese scopes

Im wondering if any lads got advice/experience on what mounts that will look good for my old jap glass scopes for my weihrauchs.
    Ideally a one piece, who made good one pieces that would suit? Ive heard Apel being talked about but not having much luck finding anything.
    thanks

Apel, but they're a bit like rockinghorse poo - otherwise, good old Sportsmatch wouldn't be out of place...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Apel, but they're a bit like rockinghorse poo - otherwise, good old Sportsmatch wouldn't be out of place...
    Either that or chickens teeth

Which HW is it?

It's for an 80 with 11mm dovetails

I always think a style like this looks pretty good on a period rifle, although I don't always have the confidence in their clamping strength when compared to the more modern allen headed double clamp mounts, especially on a springer.

I have a set on my old alros trailsman with a 90's gloss tasco scope and they look the part:

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...ollateral-tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Westy_Boy View Post
    I always think a style like this looks pretty good on a period rifle, although I don't always have the confidence in their clamping strength when compared to the more modern allen headed double clamp mounts, especially on a springer.

I have a set on my old alros trailsman with a 90's gloss tasco scope and they look the part:

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...ollateral-tabs
    Thanks mate, I've looked at those, are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    They certainly look good on the rifle, and I will probably get another set for my parker hale phoenix too as I think they will suit the look bettter than the 'blocky' sportsmatch. As I said though, I am not convinced they would give the same amount of clamping force or grip as the more 'modern' mounts. But I suppose as long as you periodically check.....

Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    As mentioned, they look good, but would be unlikely to stay put on a springer...

Just use sportsmatch and be done. If it's not too harsh a Springer I use single clamp sportsmatch and have no issues.
    Thanks - Geoff.

I have a few boxes of period 80s mounts. With few exceptions they are either badly made, or won't hold on a springer, or both.

My older springers wear Sportsmatch. Not perfectly period-accurate, but they actually work.

I do tend to consider the aesthetics of things but I wont sacrifice function for form so thanks for the info from the guys that have tried it all before.

Rhino made a nice one piece, JLS Talmade mounts were sexy too.

Have a look for a SupaMount - first Airgun mount made with lateral adjustment
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation