Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Posting PF48. Persistence and politeness pays off.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Southend, Essex
    Posts
    1,307

    Posting PF48. Persistence and politeness pays off.

    Went to my local post office today to post the MFR I've just sold. Told the posty it had to go PF48 and he asked me what was in the package. "An air rifle" says I. "You can't post those" he says, after perusing his laminated restricted items sheet. After a couple of minutes trying to persuade him otherwise I went home, dug up the 'restricted items' page of the Parcel force website, and armed with my iPad, I returned to the post office and showed it to him. Good as gold, he asked if he could take a screen shot of my iPad on his phone, exclaiming that he had never been aware of this before. I offered to take the parcel elsewhere if he wasn't happy, he would have none of it and duly accepted the parcel.

    The moral is, be polite, arm yourself with a copy of the facts and educate your local posty.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    okehampton
    Posts
    1,185
    Well done that man, thank you for your persistence it is annoying when people make up their own rules and don't accept any responsibility.

    I must admit I haven't had any issues here but we've a new owner of the postal service so it'll be interesting when I come in with a suspicious package

    Atb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Swansea valley.
    Posts
    1,651
    Ive had this twice from local branches, on both occasions they have made a call and everything is alright. My only concern would be the bottle on the MFR, there have been a few horror stories about pressure vessels. Even if empty, how do the PO know?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    mountain ash
    Posts
    3,949
    Don't think I would post anymore, They all seem to think around this way that you can't send Airguns, Sold a couple of rapids and both buyers traveled to pick them up, The other gun the chap sent his own courier, I would rather travel 100 miles than get a gun posted,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    ROYSTON
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavlar View Post
    Went to my local post office today to post the MFR I've just sold. Told the posty it had to go PF48 and he asked me what was in the package. "An air rifle" says I. "You can't post those" he says, after perusing his laminated restricted items sheet. After a couple of minutes trying to persuade him otherwise I went home, dug up the 'restricted items' page of the Parcel force website, and armed with my iPad, I returned to the post office and showed it to him. Good as gold, he asked if he could take a screen shot of my iPad on his phone, exclaiming that he had never been aware of this before. I offered to take the parcel elsewhere if he wasn't happy, he would have none of it and duly accepted the parcel.

    The moral is, be polite, arm yourself with a copy of the facts and educate your local posty.
    update when it arrives
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

    Wolverine B type 177 ( minter for Sale )

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    okehampton
    Posts
    1,185
    Just received a gun a while back through parcel force without any issue. Had many come and go using PF so it's a good service. Never had one stopped although there's always a first time.

    When sending I never tell them it's a gun. I just say farm equipment which to me it is, used on a farm as a tool so that's what it is. Bottle always empty and not had an issue. It's unfortunate but some of us just can't travel to pick up so posting is the only alternative or rfd but that cost £30 each end which is a turn off, so what other choices do we have.

    Atb
    Last edited by kash2001; 17-07-2017 at 10:58 PM.

  7. #7
    chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dundee
    Posts
    1,303
    Had a similar issue with their laminated sheet recently!

    It's understandable that they refuse when the info they have been provided with is incorrect. I was standing at the counter right next to all the leaflets, grabbed the Prohibited Goods one and showed it to the lady...she still phoned her main office and queried though - of course it was all fine in the end.
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,292
    Quote Originally Posted by kash2001 View Post
    Well done that man, thank you for your persistence it is annoying when people make up their own rules and don't accept any responsibility.

    I must admit I haven't had any issues here but we've a new owner of the postal service so it'll be interesting when I come in with a suspicious package

    Atb
    Quote Originally Posted by kash2001 View Post
    Just received a gun a while back through parcel force without any issue. Had many come and go using PF so it's a good service. Never had one stopped although there's always a first time.

    When sending I never tell them it's a gun. I just say farm equipment which to me it is, used on a farm as a tool so that's what it is. Bottle always empty and not had an issue. It's unfortunate but some of us just can't travel to pick up so posting is the only alternative or rfd but that cost £30 each end which is a turn off, so what other choices do we have.

    Atb
    This is exactly the stupidity of the general public that causes the issue of the OP

    They are not "making up their own rules" they have read & remembered the section prohibiting weapons, probably because it has been specifically shown to them.

    Then because you and other idiots like you lie &/or hide posting an item that is allowed under another different section (guns for sporting use) they are not corrected and therefore educated that in fact the item is perfectly legal to declare & send.

    Do not dare to complain about a situation that you deliberately fail to address when given the opportunity.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,292
    [QUOTE=Gavlar;7301224]Went to my local post office today to post the MFR I've just sold. Told the posty it had to go PF48 and he asked me what was in the package. "An air rifle" says I. "You can't post those" he says, after perusing his laminated restricted items sheet. After a couple of minutes trying to persuade him otherwise I went home, dug up the 'restricted items' page of the Parcel force website, and armed with my iPad, I returned to the post office and showed it to him. Good as gold, he asked if he could take a screen shot of my iPad on his phone, exclaiming that he had never been aware of this before. I offered to take the parcel elsewhere if he wasn't happy, he would have none of it and duly accepted the parcel.

    The moral is, be polite, arm yourself with a copy of the facts and educate your local posty.[/QUOTE]

    Exactly,
    it's easy and that's the problem dealt with.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    okehampton
    Posts
    1,185
    They are not "making up their own rules" they have read & remembered the section prohibiting weapons, probably because it has been specifically shown to them.

    Then because you and other idiots like you lie &/or hide posting an item that is allowed under another different section (guns for sporting use) they are not corrected and therefore educated that in fact the item is perfectly legal to declare & send.

    Do not dare to complain about a situation that you deliberately fail to address when given the opportunity. [/QUOTE]


    Carm down dear - Blimey living up to your handle yes you can send them under that category, this gun went under that heading, so your last statement is pointless. The system isn't exactly reasonable or practical for the selling of new or 2nd hand guns as those that bow to media pressure and in office, don't wish for or provide a simple solution other than standing in a post office debating whether it's legal or not, its a ridiculous situation.

    The system is squeezing the gun community in all directions, if the system doesn't accommodate then we have to adapt. I don't care for high morals statuses when we are all guilty of something it is in parts, the bottle empty so its safe, it's just the stupid system that needs changing but that's another conversation.

    Original poster is correct, politeness and education does help, but some still refuse to accept them, and not many people want to stand in a long queue arguing with staff as to the right to dispatch a airgun, so respect to the seller for his determination to enlighten these people getting inaccurate information from management.

    I'm done.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wisbech
    Posts
    124
    You can send air weapons through normal post too - it's a restricted item, not a prohibited one - it's even on Royal Mail's website

    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...detail/a_id/94

    The only things prohibited are Section 5 and illegal weapons.

    I'm not sure where the PF48 thing came about?

    Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.

    Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

    Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    I've recently received 2 rifles through PF and both arrived perfectly safely, mostly as a result of the good packing by the sender!
    The girl your parents warned you about....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,292
    Quote Originally Posted by gothicsera View Post
    You can send air weapons through normal post too - it's a restricted item, not a prohibited one - it's even on Royal Mail's website

    https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...detail/a_id/94

    The only things prohibited are Section 5 and illegal weapons.

    I'm not sure where the PF48 thing came about?



    I've recently received 2 rifles through PF and both arrived perfectly safely, mostly as a result of the good packing by the sender!
    Because ParcelForce who are a different company to RoyalMail state that the only PF service for guns is PF48 it's that simple.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    City of London
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    This is exactly the stupidity of the general public that causes the issue of the OP

    They are not "making up their own rules" they have read & remembered the section prohibiting weapons, probably because it has been specifically shown to them.

    Then because you and other idiots like you lie &/or hide posting an item that is allowed under another different section (guns for sporting use) they are not corrected and therefore educated that in fact the item is perfectly legal to declare & send.

    Do not dare to complain about a situation that you deliberately fail to address when given the opportunity.
    As you know, Steve, I disagree profoundly with you on this point. It's not the stupidity of the general public that's at fault, it's the failure of Post Office staff to update themselves on the rules.

    It's not a lie to say 'sporting goods' or similar, and since you know the actual rules and they don't, you're not doing anything wrong.

    Ultimately if an airgun is discovered in a Parcelforce 48 consignment, it is well within the rules and the exact declaration made in the Post Office is immaterial, as long as it's not an out and out lie.

    Obviously PCPs with air bottles are another matter...

    But all power to the OP for doing what he did.
    Vintage Airgun Gallery ... Vintage BSA Forum
    ..Above links posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wisbech
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Because ParcelForce who are a different company to RoyalMail state that the only PF service for guns is PF48 it's that simple.
    I'm aware of that, but there seems to be a general thinking that PF48 is the only option. When both Royal Mail and many other couriers will actually quite happily carry air weapons
    The girl your parents warned you about....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    19,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As you know, Steve, I disagree profoundly with you on this point. It's not the stupidity of the general public that's at fault, it's the failure of Post Office staff to update themselves on the rules.

    It's not a lie to say 'sporting goods' or similar, and since you know the actual rules and they don't, you're not doing anything wrong.

    Ultimately if an airgun is discovered in a Parcelforce 48 consignment, it is well within the rules and the exact declaration made in the Post Office is immaterial, as long as it's not an out and out lie.

    Obviously PCPs with air bottles are another matter...

    But all power to the OP for doing what he did.
    I know we disagree over method, but surely the point must be to EDUCATE those who have failed to understand their own rules.

    And surely the way to educate them is to be open about what is being sent, when it is in compliance with those written rules, & where necessary to be the one who stands there & says politely "Actually you're wrong, read the rule"

    The stupidity I refer to is by those who deliberately avoid correcting the error, by disguising a perfectly legal action, & by doing so further promote that error within the system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •