Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80s Webley nostalgia

80s Webley nostalgia

Just picked up a 42-page glossy magazine-style "Airguns Guide" published by Webley. I am guessing from around 1982.

Things I noticed:

- includes the obvious period rifles (Vulcan, Victor, Tracker, Viscount, including deluxe and custom models and a tyro Vulcan), but also the Beeman C1, Erma Ranger, and - still- the Osprey Supertarget. But not the Air Wolf or Omega.

- big feature on Tasco scopes and binos.

- promotion of Beeman things, like SS-1 scope, Williams aperture sight.

- features Apel mounts.

- and the Teleskan.

- also detailed features on quarry, the law, pellets, maintenance, spare parts, target shooting.

- and a page on cool bags and picnic sets....

- refers to a transfer port as an "air feeder hole".

If I had read this at the time, I'd have bought a Webley. With Webley-approved Tasco or Beeman sight, Apel mount (as needed), and Silver Jet pellets. And maybe a picnic set. Or not.

Anyone remember these from back then? It's the first one I've seen. Apparently it cost a whole pound, which must be the equivalent of £4-5 now.

I have seen references to these but they were a bit before my time. What a bloody good collection of guns and gear, though. I remember most of those guns but have never seen an Erma/Webley Ranger I'm my life and I'm struggling to recall it from a picture. My pal had an Erma .22lr S/A years and years ago but I remember it well. A superb thing.
    I think 1982 would have been a good 3 years before the Airwolf and Omega which about the best things to have Webley stamped on them in the 80's.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Wow. What a wonderful almanac to find/own/have. Remember these vaguely from the era, and think they were available from gun and fishing tackle shops, only, and although priced to sell, were usually given away by shop keepers to potential gun buyers, by arrangement with Webley, thus rendering the £1 purchase price redundant, suggesting the cover price was only there to deter non air gun-buying ephemera magpies (but here, I could be wrong)? Anyway, keep it and cherish it. As for the value of £1 in 1981/2, think you'll find that equates to more like a tenner today? Thanks for rekindling the memories.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Don't remember the mag but remember the Silver Jet pellets !

As a mega keen 13 year old Webley Vulcan shooter, these were my "special" pellets, not for plinking !

Ah, many fond memories
    BEWARE OF THE BEARDS

For a time,Webley,Diana,Healthways etc discovered they could sell 'catalogues' for a quid. Had multiples of them all until our big shift!like Beeman catalogues,they were coffee table reading.

I have also been experiencing some nostalgia,going through magazines dating from 1968. The quality of the articles and information is far better than today, and hardly any adverts on the pages. The best ones I have are "Guns" and "Guns and Ammo" magazines and also SA Man (Magnum) from 1976 onwards. Also have a lot of airgun magazines although I have given away about 200 to clear some space. I still have the Beeman SS1 scope which I originally put on a Charter Arms Explorer custom rifle I made up for the African bush, super light and super quiet.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

One of the old magazines has a Stalker Bobcat in it. Never seen one of these for sale, has anyone got one ?

Baz

Did anyone ever use a Webley 'Teleskan' scope system ?
    I've got one sat on the shelf in it's box, but never been tempted to use it.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Did anyone ever use a Webley 'Teleskan' scope system ?
    I've got one sat on the shelf in it's box, but never been tempted to use it.
    An idea stolen from the BBS's very own BTDT who affixed a pistol scope to his old Webley Hawk as the breech pin was not up to its job. It also gives a wide field of view but the low mag means it is a short range thing for vermin.... It is coincidentally the place where the scope should be mounted on the 'scout rifle', a do-anything concept centrefire invented by Cooper in the 80s...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rifle

Why the hell did Webley take so long to fit a breech bolt instead of a pin to its Vulcan no one will every know. The Wobbly Webley problem pushed lots of shooters away from what at the time was actually a very competent rifle - it was lightweight, powerful, low recoil, consistent power plant, nicely shaped stock from the Mk 2 onwards... yes the trigger was a not great but with a polish and a shoe, easily a match to the FWB Sport ... but a wobbly breech ??? Oh FFS what were they thinking of? To save a couple of pounds they knackered the whole deal.

That was the era when I got my first adult air rifle. Got the Beeman R1. Was in the back yard with it this morning. In the late 80's order a William peep and then they had a sale on the SS-3 short scope. The SS-3 is still on it. Just put the Williams on my new to me AirStar. Quality products back then and they still work great. I bought the adjusting aperture in the catalog as well. It is a jewel with the Williams didn't appreciate it at the time, quickly went to the scope. Only now do I appreciate that Williams setup.

Never had a proper Teleskan.

For a couple of weeks in 1983 I did fit a pistol scope to the breech block of an FWB Sport.

I revelled in its fast handling and pointability. An airgun equivalent of Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle.

But I couldn't hit much with it.

And then it fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Never had a proper Teleskan.

For a couple of weeks in 1983 I did fit a pistol scope to the breech block of an FWB Sport.

I revelled in its fast handling and pointability. An airgun equivalent of Jeff Cooper's Scout Rifle.

But I couldn't hit much with it.

And then it fell off.
    Pistol scopes on rifles are better for shooting at moving game. You keep both eyes open and follow through. I fitted one to my M1 carbine in Africa, particularly handy fitted on a semi-auto. Ideal for wild pig hunting in the bush.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I have seen references to these but they were a bit before my time. What a bloody good collection of guns and gear, though. I remember most of those guns but have never seen an Erma/Webley Ranger I'm my life and I'm struggling to recall it from a picture. My pal had an Erma .22lr S/A years and years ago but I remember it well. A superb thing.
    I think 1982 would have been a good 3 years before the Airwolf and Omega which about the best things to have Webley stamped on them in the 80's.
    Their Winchester style springer - underlever cocking was not dissimilar to their .22lr Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Their Winchester style springer - underlever cocking was not dissimilar to their .22lr Winchester
    Erma Ranger ELG10 is very similar in construction to the Erma EG712, on which it was based. The magazine tube was used for a cleaning rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Pistol scopes on rifles are better for shooting at moving game. You keep both eyes open and follow through. I fitted one to my M1 carbine in Africa, particularly handy fitted on a semi-auto. Ideal for wild pig hunting in the bush.

Baz
    In my case, long eye relief scout scope forward mounted on a Ruger 77RL carbine in .30-06. Lasted about a year before being replaced with a conventional 1.75-6x32mm in the usual place. Which was a better choice all round, including for fast, close, stuff at its lowest setting.