Thread: Fitting sling studs

Fitting sling studs

Bit of a novice question but better to ask that balls it up.i bought sling studs for a bipod i bought, the description only states stud length which is 20mm,any ideas which size drill bit ill need ?? Im thinking all studs are same size yes ?.thanks

No!

If you have to ask the question, leave it to a professional. The ideal size drill will be the core diameter of the stud. Put a drill bit behind the stud until you can just see the drill behind the threads. Remove action from stock, make sure the fore end is deep enough to take the thread.leave 3 inches from ends of stock, use tape to protect finish and drill vertically! Tighten stud until holes are at 90 degrees to length, use spacer if it's not. I have found if you start to screw the stud in in the correct alignment, using downward pressure and a Tommy bar for leverage, it usually fits perfectly. Have messed up a couple of early attempts, so take care! David

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Go slow

Rob with care and going slowly its not difficult to do. The main thing is to get the hole the stud fits in nice and square and make sure you use nice sharp drills so you don't rip the wood. Also make sure the stock is held nice and secure. As for drill size get yourself a scrap piece of wood and try out various drill sizes to see which you need, I always find drilling a pilot hole works well and helps the process.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

From my experience it's usually a 4mm drill but check it. You will need to counter bore a couple of millimetres with a slightly larger drill to accommodate the unthreaded section just under the swivel. If you don't, the wood around the top of the hole will compress as you finally wind the stud in causing damage to the stock.

Cheers, Phil
    THE BRAIN CANNOT ASSIMILATE WHAT THE POSTERIA CANNOT TOLERATE

Ok lads thanks for ya input,always big help cheers,i thought 4mm was size i need after watching 2 youtube vids so ill buy a 4mm drill bit,i better not balls it up its my brand new aa s400f,ill see how it goes i got 2 studs i might do my hw99s next if i do good job with s400,thanks again lads.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    Ok lads thanks for ya input,always big help cheers,i thought 4mm was size i need after watching 2 youtube vids so ill buy a 4mm drill bit,i better not balls it up its my brand new aa s400f,ill see how it goes i got 2 studs i might do my hw99s next if i do good job with s400,thanks again lads.
    Just make sure that you get the holes square and bang in the middle to the stock and leave enough room from the end. You really don't want the stress over time cracking the wood.

A.G

Remove the action from the stock before doing anything, once drilled you may need to grind/file the length down so it's flush with the wood, any metal screw protruding can wear in to the air tube.

you need a drill the size of the central solid shaft of the screw that leaves enough wood for the thread itself to cut in to.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    Bit of a novice question but better to ask that balls it up.i bought sling studs for a bipod i bought, the description only states stud length which is 20mm,any ideas which size drill bit ill need ?? Im thinking all studs are same size yes ?.thanks
    It's a good question actually as I want to do the same thing. As yet I have not got the rifle let alone the sling (hopefully tomorrow) but the difference with mine it is a synthetic stock on a Walthe rLGV Challenger. Anything different to think about ?
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    It's a good question actually as I want to do the same thing. As yet I have not got the rifle let alone the sling (hopefully tomorrow) but the difference with mine it is a synthetic stock on a Walthe rLGV Challenger. Anything different to think about ?
    Thats like a plasic finish isnt it,can imagine that to be more tricky than wood,idea for you is punch a hole where you want to drill,least then drill got some thing bite on wont fly all over place n scratch ya stock.

A pin punch to mark the spot on the stock and bees wax or Vaseline to help the stud screw home nice and easily. Always use a patch of masking tape to cover the drilling area too.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    When you remove the stock look inside to see if it's solid or has hollows with a "lattice work" of supports, you need to drill in to solid as thick as possible.