Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope mounts

Scope mounts

What's the major differences (apart from price) between cheaper mounts and more expensive ones? Is the price difference justifiable, or is it just in our heads that expensive ones are really that much better? After all, if they hold the scope securely to the action, then it's job done.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    What's the major differences (apart from price) between cheaper mounts and more expensive ones? Is the price difference justifiable, or is it just in our heads that expensive ones are really that much better? After all, if they hold the scope securely to the action, then it's job done.
    I think when used with springers / gas ram's it does make a difference as the mount isn't much use if it can't hold the scope in place
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

for springers ya deffo want good quality mounts,come to think of it ya want good quality mounts for any gun.i have a accushot 1 piece mount on my hw95k it was only 14£ and its doing what it supposed to do.do it right the 1st time forget cheap crap buy some thing decent.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    for springers ya deffo want good quality mounts,come to think of it ya want good quality mounts for any gun.i have a accushot 1 piece mount on my hw95k it was only 14£ and its doing what it supposed to do.do it right the 1st time forget cheap crap buy some thing decent.
    I didn't mean the absoloute cheapo hong kong green plastic things at £3 a set. I meant looking at Hawke/ nikko sterling as cheap offerings.

The material they're made of, the accuracy of the casting, how well the two clamps fit together, the accuracy of the machining etc, etc

Not only do they need to hold the scope securely, but they also need to be aligned perfectly both with each other and with the dovetail rail.

There are only really 3 major differences I can see.
    Type 1 have a separate clamp, on one side so their position is set by the other fixed side. (the usual common design)
    Type 2 are split vertically both to clamp the rail & the scope (Nikko-sterling I think)
    Type 3 spring grip the dovetail to self centre (BKL)

For a PCP a single strap good quality mount is sufficient. I wouldn't touch the dirt cheap import variety ones as these have not been machined to match each other. The rear mount might actually sit higher or lower than the front one and once you have tightened the mount it can mark the tube or even dent it.
    The Sportmatch ones are not too pricy if you don't want the dangled fangled ones.
    For a springer I would only choose well made mounts. Lets face it why risk a £250.00 scope for the sake of £15.00 saving on the price of a mount? It doesn't make sense.
    I am not, by the same logic, a fan of over mounting a scope. It is usually only for bling and nothing else. The recoil of a 308 magnum is really not comparable to a PCP even if it put out 120 ft.lbs so these guns do need a different caliber of mount.

A.G

when i buy a mount i look at how i can get a pellet in. no use having a single mount if it blocks the port. the BSA super had BSA mount. with the dampa.
    i had to buy two sets of mounts for the s200 and 400. high and medium. just to fit my eyes and how cold it was.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Never had a problem with the cheaper mounts, Nikko and Hawke are just fine. I only shoot PCP and rimmys so very little recoil but certainly good enough.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    Yes! If something is worth doing, it's worth doing it well.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Oh you bad man

Still made me laugh mind.

I've just been comparing prices on the Nikko match mounts. Prices vary enormously. Some places are wanting £18 + P&P. Our sponsor does 'em for £10.49 inc p&p. No brainer isn't it? Are the mkII any different from the mkI.
    Last edited by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH; 24-07-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    You mean...

Yes! If something is worth doing, its worth doing it well.

Apostrophes, not primes.

Sportsmatch mounts have always served me well on springers - not the cheapest, but far from the most expensive...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I like BLK mounts because the jaws that fit the dovetails are equally offset from the centre line of the cylinder. They are more expensive but they are immensely strong and beautifully made. I do have a fully-adjustable one piece from another top make but it is so complicated I have never tried it out! It will be great if I get a rifle which has some serious alignment problems.

As a proportion of the cost of your set-up the mounts represent a very small investment, therefore it is a good idea to get really good ones. They don't wear out or break so it is money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I do have a fully-adjustable one piece from another top make but it is so complicated I have never tried it out! It will be great if I get a rifle which has some serious alignment problems
    I bought a Hilver one piece adjustable for anything in the 90's, didn't realise until it arrived and never used it

Built like a tank though, all blued steel construction
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177