Thread: Interesting BSA pcp history.

Interesting BSA pcp history.

Last edited by T 20; 20-07-2017 at 08:23 PM.

For those not on Facebook here is the text and photo sent to the fanpage by Bowket.

Close
    John Bowkett's (Official) Fan page
    Published by James Greenway
    Page Liked · 18 July ·

How the first BSA Pre-charged air rifle came about.

In the early 1990’s I was working as a freelance for El Gamo on the valving system for their CO2 rifle. For a variety of reasons it had to be launched using valving bought under license from a competitor. Not good. In addition to this different markets required a different spec. I remember the version for the Japanese market had to be powered by a CO2 source on the shooters belt with the rifle fed though a regulator restricting the pressure to a ridiculously low level. From memory the psi was barely above single figures. My input was fitting a blow disc in the rifle that had to completely disable it should the regulator be tampered with increasing the pressure.
    I was then asked to have a look at a version for the UK market. The first really big problem was that at the time all CO2 powered rifles and pistols, regardless of output were classed as section 1 firearms in the UK. No market. Powered by compressed air was a different matter. I therefore developed what was called by El Gamo bosses the “cigar”. This comprised a large secondary reservoir inside which was a regulator and the exhaust valve assembly. At the front where a large CO2 cannister would have fitted was a socket into which a 280cc Luxfer compressed air bottle went. This produced approx. 200 shots in .177 at 11.5 ft/lbs. It was thought the retail price would be less than £200. Not bad for an accurate, regulated, multi-shot rifle albeit with a King Kong trigger pull. Legal reasons and objections put up by the UK distributor spelt the end for this project.
    Modified CO2 rifles not being the way ahead El Gamo then decided that it was about time BSA made PCP air rifles rather than the limited market for their springers , the first being the SuperTen which used the “cigar” and buddy bottle.
    The photo shows a gun that never was and below one that was produced by BSA in the thousands and although now obsolete is still in widespread use. The good old SuperTen.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    For those not on Facebook here is the text and photo sent to the fanpage by Bowket.

Close
    John Bowkett's (Official) Fan page
    Published by James Greenway
    Page Liked · 18 July ·

How the first BSA Pre-charged air rifle came about.

In the early 1990’s I was working as a freelance for El Gamo on the valving system for their CO2 rifle. For a variety of reasons it had to be launched using valving bought under license from a competitor. Not good. In addition to this different markets required a different spec. I remember the version for the Japanese market had to be powered by a CO2 source on the shooters belt with the rifle fed though a regulator restricting the pressure to a ridiculously low level. From memory the psi was barely above single figures. My input was fitting a blow disc in the rifle that had to completely disable it should the regulator be tampered with increasing the pressure.
    I was then asked to have a look at a version for the UK market. The first really big problem was that at the time all CO2 powered rifles and pistols, regardless of output were classed as section 1 firearms in the UK. No market. Powered by compressed air was a different matter. I therefore developed what was called by El Gamo bosses the “cigar”. This comprised a large secondary reservoir inside which was a regulator and the exhaust valve assembly. At the front where a large CO2 cannister would have fitted was a socket into which a 280cc Luxfer compressed air bottle went. This produced approx. 200 shots in .177 at 11.5 ft/lbs. It was thought the retail price would be less than £200. Not bad for an accurate, regulated, multi-shot rifle albeit with a King Kong trigger pull. Legal reasons and objections put up by the UK distributor spelt the end for this project.
    Modified CO2 rifles not being the way ahead El Gamo then decided that it was about time BSA made PCP air rifles rather than the limited market for their springers , the first being the SuperTen which used the “cigar” and buddy bottle.
    The photo shows a gun that never was and below one that was produced by BSA in the thousands and although now obsolete is still in widespread use. The good old SuperTen.
    Over the years, I have had some very interesting conversations with JB and been privy to various designs and asked for comments and thoughts. A very clever man and one I highly respect
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

A s/h MK1 Super Ten in .22 was my first ever air gun, I had been asked to take care of a lot of rabbits on a paddock and one look told me my Anschutz .22 rimfire was not suitable.

My local gun shop was Newavon Arms in Bristol and it was they who sold me an entire setup, including pump.

It was a stunningly accurate rifle which I customised over the years with a bull barrel shroud and Tyrolean stock.

I sold it when I started using .177 for FT shooting, as the rabbits were easily taken care of with an Pro-Target fitted with a moderator and a bipod.

I still have happy memories of the Super Ten, it would have been outstanding for the UKHFTA .22 class.