Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are Simmons 1.5-5X20's like?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I love em and can't resist buying when I see them. I just sold two in sales, but every time I see the ad I think "Ooh, WTC's!" and click on it.

There's no point having more scopes than guns!
    Haha...

Do you have more vests than you have underpants?

I sold mine.
    Yes they are a good scope, the first circa 1993/4. Not sure if the first were Jap and then to the Philippines later. Great field of view though at x5 isn't special. A quality 4x40 can be brighter, and they do struggle with poor light. The cross hair isn't that fine and they work great because they are fast to shoot with little faffing about. They are also not a lump. Well suited to air rifles at farmyard ranges.

They seem to hold their value really well and have quite a following.

I have a similar style Leupold with thick plex on my .357 and it is superior in nearly every way. I also have a B&L that now reparallaxed is brighter still and goes up to x8. So what I am saying is there are better scopes of this style/configuration but they are more money. The Simmons is a good scope. WTC, White Tail Classics were good mid to budget scopes in their day and well built when many budget scopes were getting a bit cheap (Tasco's in free fall). The glass does struggle when put up against higher cost scopes, and the eye box are average. The outside coating is a great look but mount marks easy to get (fix mounts once and then leave the mounts alone). Front parallax focus WTC's can lose zero as the build is not quite perfect; all the rest give sterling service.

I'm a fan, though don't have any at present. Perfect for most 1994 to 2010 period rifles.
    Last edited by Muskett; 21-07-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Thumbs up

I think that all which has been said should be convincing enough for you mate. Anything from the WTC range is worth considering, but the dinky low power is extra special - iconic I would say! A rapid mk1 sporting a 1.5/5 X 20 is typical of this IMO.. Get one and enjoy ...

P.s. You can never have enough scopes lol
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I love em and can't resist buying when I see them. I just sold two in sales, but every time I see the ad I think "Ooh, WTC's!" and click on it.

There's no point having more scopes than guns!
    Same here mate, i had about 7 at one point

buttloaves,

For me, they are a superb 'scope

Mine is now over twenty (20) years old and is still going strong.

I used it as my primary hunting 'scope for almost ten (10) years (in the days when I hunted), on a 0.22" LR rimfire, then my TX200.

I re-parallaxed it to ca. 50 meters.

It now lives on my 1974 Diana 35, in BKL mounts.

For hunting, it was almost exclusively set at x3 - the sight picture is lovely and bright, and the FOV more than adequate, particularly in the x1.5 --> x3 range

I never found the simple duplex reticle an issue - a simple, clean sight picture.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

As said already very good scope .

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    A very useful little scope ! Had a few over the years and used them on carbine springers and Rammers (Fenman) for pest control.
    After a time I switched to the WTC 4x40WA for that purpose which is in my opinion another superb WTC scope !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by cozzamec View Post
    That's not fair! Can I have one!
    I'd like another.
    And i have 3

Red face

Same here. Yes you can buy much better glass of course. I have a Leupold 1-4x20 on heavy CF rifle which is better, but it's in a different category price wise

I agree that the prostaff 2-7x33 is brilliant too. I bought one to replace a WTC on an air rifle and it quickly found it's way to my .22lr.

On the oddball air rifles I like like a skan or verminator the little WTC is perfect.