Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on stripping and rebuilding a springer

Looking for opinions on stripping and rebuilding a springer

I recently stripped down and rebuilt my old Gamo CF-16 from circa 1985. Everything got cleaned and polished, I fitted a custom TBT drop-in kit, replaced the main spring, piston seal, all other seals, put in an upgraded trigger, got some plastic parts (transfer cylinder, pop up breech) machined from brass, plus stripped the lacquered beech stock before redoing it with TruOil. I encountered and resolved a load of issues (with the help of some very helpful people on the forum) and massively enjoyed the whole process.

So, I'd like to have another go, buy a secondhand springer and try and restore & improve it.

So my question is what would be a good option?

I don't know myself what would make something a good or bad, so looking for opinions. I guess I'd like to work on something a bit more challenging where I can really see a difference from factory standard, both cosmetically and how the gun performs.

Cheers!

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Personally I would avoid all the usual suspects and keep an eye out for something "proper manky"!
    Anyone can make an HW or AA nice, but succeeding with a Gamo is good, raise the bar and buy a B2!!
    Last edited by tinbum; 21-07-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I have always fancied trying to do up a BSA Lighting

Pete
    Pete

Are you dead set on a springer? If you like to fettle and improve rifles something like an SMK XS78 CO2 rifle might be as much fun for you.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Get something that is cheapish but with basically a good design, like the Gamo. The Chinese guns are made of low quality steels and generally have simple triggers.

See if you can find a Slavia break-barrel, an old Norica or a Haenal.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Personally I would avoid all the usual suspects and keep an eye out for something "proper manky"!
    Anyone can make an HW or AA nice, but succeeding with a Gamo is good, raise the bar and buy a B2!!
    Agree.

Although not specifically a B2. It, or any other budget gun would be a good place to start. And, as you also want to embark on the cosmetic side of things, the added bonus will be that it will be as cheap as chips.

Ratty old Meteors always seem plentiful, too. They can be transformed into great shooters. The only slight downside is that, these days, even ratty ones aren't as cheap as they used to be.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Great ideas, many thanks all. Hadn't even thought about CO2. Also like the idea of a BSA. Will start scouting the secondhand sites. All the best!

Protek has a wealth of rifles that might make suitable project guns...

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/

What a treasure trove!!! Cheers for the link.

What's your budget for the initial purchase? This may help advise what you might get for your money.
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I'd say an old HW80. Obviously well built and good fun to work on with lots of nice custom parts and stocks out there. I restored an old one a few years ago and I throughly enjoyed it. I even slow rust blues the parts which worked a treat. I might do another one next year.

Budget wouldn't be a massive issue. Maybe £250 - £300 all-in for the initial purchase and whatever I would need to spend on replacement parts etc.

I'm guessing if it is something pretty rough I would need to spend a reasonable part of the budget to get the blueing redone properly by someone else. Having read all the blueing threads it seems like it is pretty tough to get a nice finish going the DIY route.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rmwesley View Post
    Budget wouldn't be a massive issue. Maybe £250 - £300 all-in for the initial purchase and whatever I would need to spend on replacement parts etc.

I'm guessing if it is something pretty rough I would need to spend a reasonable part of the budget to get the blueing redone properly by someone else. Having read all the blueing threads it seems like it is pretty tough to get a nice finish going the DIY route.
    Bought a Theoben Fenman for well under that, needed a new silencer and a charging tool, put more air in the ram, replaced the silencer, all for under £230!

Love proper manky. first one i did was BSA MK1 superstar. took three weeks. it was rusty as rusty thing.
    next was a SMK target pistol. not to my liking. the spring got two coils taken off then heated to cherry red and stretched. you must remember to re compress the ends of the spring, and file them off.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by rmwesley View Post

Ok, in that case......
    A few weeks ago I bought a rogh AA TXHC for £150, sold the stock, scope, sling and mod so the action cost me about £80. I did the internals myself so saved a few quid , sent the action off to be reblacked and then fitted a used but as new walnut stock. Total cost would be in the region of £250, but it is better than new and I did it!

If you want something to be proud of, forget my first advice and do the opposite. Buy an old but good gun in need of a refurb. I've bought stacks of rough Hw's over the years for £50-100, every one of them's been a joy to work with
    God rest ye jelly mental men