Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start

Question Where do I start

Hi everyone, I know the forum has plenty of people asking similar questions that have multiple answers, but my theory is that the answers might be different depending on the situation. So here we go again. I am new to the world of air guns, used an air pistol a few times when I was about 12 and had a BB hand gun since I was 16. Almost 40 now. 😑
    I tried archery but my aim is terrible, I have to aim almost 2 foot off target to hear near center. So my grand plan is to try air rifle. I want to gain as much info as I can before plunging into buying hence my post.
    I am about 6' 2" round (very round) 18 stone and want to shoot preferably standing, but I see most videos have people laid down or sat/crouched using some gun grip. Is standing not viable?
    The 3 rifles I have seen and keep looking at is the hw95k, Remington Express and SMK xs38, thoughts please?
    I would like a mounted scope as I think this will be the key to my aiming issues, for backyard plinking max 50 yards what scope should I consider?
    Apart from a variety of pellets what other equipment should I consider in the early days if any?
    Would prefer to keep cost under £200 for setup but it's not a fixed budget, but I think spring rifle is a good starting point before any co2 or other rifles are considered.

Thanks for reading and any feedback.

Welcome!

There's lots of different types of airgun shooting - and some of the target disciplines are very much standing only!

My suggestion would be that before you splash out on any type of gun, get yourself down to a couple of local airgun clubs - in many, you're able to try different guns (in fact, most I've frequented over the years many of the people there are more than happy for you to try their gun). Try clubs that do a mixture of target and plinking for fun ranges, and decide then which you like the most.

Best of Luck!

steve B

Thanks Steve. Trying Airedale as a starting point. There is club near to work also, so I will try them too.

Start here!

Welcome, browse the forum and you'll find many disciplines, I shoot some, and find benchrest the most challenging, though a springer doesn't like to be rested. Plinking at home is fun, but only shooting against others will inspire you to shoot better, plus you'll get lots of tips too. So much fun,so little time.
    Enjoy yourself! David

out of that lot id say the 95k i have 1 and its very good,i wouldnt bother with smk i only like weirauch or air arms,have a look at some pcp guns,pcp is where you fill gun with air either from a diver bottle or a hand pump.also theres gas ram rifles ya might be interested in.but if its spring rifle ya want then weirauch or air arms is way to go.

I second the HW 95, I have one , not heavy and smooth shooter. As you are garden shooting at 50 yards, get a mil-dot scope like the SMK 6 X 42, inexpensive, clear lens, mil-dots on the reticle to allow for pellet drop.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks all for rapid feedback. Baz thanks for scope recommendation 😀

Welcome on board.

Good advice given above re getting to a club, talking with other shooters and getting to try out some different guns.

Of the rifles mentioned, if the budget will allow, I'd certainly also be recommending the HW95. Quality built, superb trigger and barrel. Very usable, self-contained rifle that will last a very long time and remain reliable. And many aftermarket parts available for tuning, if you later fancied having a play.

I'd also be adding a HW99S to that list.

Nothing wrong with standing shots. Even many competition shooters in outdoors disciplines dread the standers. If you get proficient with these, other positions will seem easy in comparison.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Second the HW99S in .22... just bought one new and they're excellent rifles for little money.

Join your local friendly airgun club and ask questions.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I'd look at a Second hand HW95 with scope which you could do within your budget, I would suggest .177 calibre as I presume it's for target shooting.
    I've had a HW95 in the past - great gun and one you can tune at a later date if you wish. The quality of the HW in comparison to SMK and Remington is noticeably better. Also look at the HW99 as suggested.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

I'd say go for .177, most target clubs tend to recommend it (also pellets are cheaper) stick with a springer - less outlay if you're not sure about keeping the sport up and the ongoing costs of PCP is an added thought (as is Co2) - I'm not anti PCP or Co2 (got several of each sat in the cupboard) but starting out, the springer will get you into 'good' habits. I would say find a shop with any gun that you are interested in & get in there and try them for fit & balance - the XS38 is a fairly weighty gun, so prolonged standing shots will take it out of you. The SMK scopes tend to have a 'wide' mil-dot spacing - good for .22, not so good for .177 though (1 gap is about the equivalent of 2 gaps in something like a leapers/JSR mil-dot scope)

Hi and welcome. Yet another vote for the HW99s - and one for the HW30s too - but don't hand over any cash until you've tried a few different models...

Thanks all. Going to take a trip to swillington shooting supplies or Pudsey gun shop just for a look and chat. There is an event at Hazelwood castle, £30 for an hour if I read it right they provide equipment. Anyone done this? Is it worth it?

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    It's already been said but definitely join a club. You should be able to try lots of different rifles as, aside from 'club guns', many folk are happy to let newcomers try their rifle(s).

My bet is you'll likely buy something not on your list and then not stop at just the one. Air rifles can be a little addictive...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd