Thread: Where do I start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Where do I start

Hi everyone, I know the forum has plenty of people asking similar questions that have multiple answers, but my theory is that the answers might be different depending on the situation. So here we go again. I am new to the world of air guns, used an air pistol a few times when I was about 12 and had a BB hand gun since I was 16. Almost 40 now. 😑
    I tried archery but my aim is terrible, I have to aim almost 2 foot off target to hear near center. So my grand plan is to try air rifle. I want to gain as much info as I can before plunging into buying hence my post.
    I am about 6' 2" round (very round) 18 stone and want to shoot preferably standing, but I see most videos have people laid down or sat/crouched using some gun grip. Is standing not viable?
    The 3 rifles I have seen and keep looking at is the hw95k, Remington Express and SMK xs38, thoughts please?
    I would like a mounted scope as I think this will be the key to my aiming issues, for backyard plinking max 50 yards what scope should I consider?
    Apart from a variety of pellets what other equipment should I consider in the early days if any?
    Would prefer to keep cost under £200 for setup but it's not a fixed budget, but I think spring rifle is a good starting point before any co2 or other rifles are considered.

Thanks for reading and any feedback.

Welcome!

There's lots of different types of airgun shooting - and some of the target disciplines are very much standing only!

My suggestion would be that before you splash out on any type of gun, get yourself down to a couple of local airgun clubs - in many, you're able to try different guns (in fact, most I've frequented over the years many of the people there are more than happy for you to try their gun). Try clubs that do a mixture of target and plinking for fun ranges, and decide then which you like the most.

Best of Luck!

steve B

Thanks Steve. Trying Airedale as a starting point. There is club near to work also, so I will try them too.

Start here!

Welcome, browse the forum and you'll find many disciplines, I shoot some, and find benchrest the most challenging, though a springer doesn't like to be rested. Plinking at home is fun, but only shooting against others will inspire you to shoot better, plus you'll get lots of tips too. So much fun,so little time.
    Enjoy yourself! David

out of that lot id say the 95k i have 1 and its very good,i wouldnt bother with smk i only like weirauch or air arms,have a look at some pcp guns,pcp is where you fill gun with air either from a diver bottle or a hand pump.also theres gas ram rifles ya might be interested in.but if its spring rifle ya want then weirauch or air arms is way to go.

I second the HW 95, I have one , not heavy and smooth shooter. As you are garden shooting at 50 yards, get a mil-dot scope like the SMK 6 X 42, inexpensive, clear lens, mil-dots on the reticle to allow for pellet drop.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks all for rapid feedback. Baz thanks for scope recommendation 😀