Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browning Airstar not for the faint of heart, lol

Was on a Russian Gun Site and there was this pic of the AirStar Mechanism. Only half of this is visible when you take off the stock, the right half, with chain and large upright gear. There was 12 pages of back and forth between Russian engineers on how the concept could be improved. They were estimating this type of gearing to be 95% efficient? Some speculating on a motor to pump a single shot PCP instead of a spring, discounted it as not possible with size and weight. Also discussed recent developments in motors and batteries but also deemed not really helpful given size and weight.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4cwHZ

My rifle continues to be flawless since lubrcation. Specs in the manual say top speed is 220 m/s. With a 7 grain hobby mine did exactly that number today. At least they didn't exaggerate like most companies of the day. Found second battery on the bay for $15 shipped. Given these are very popular batteries in the RC toy business they are very cheap. Wonder what Browning charged? Lol Last one charged in the gun with no issues.

Going to a airgun show and shoot this coming weekend, may take this rifle along just for the looks! That could be priceless! Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 24-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Was on a Russian Gun Site and there was this pic of the AirStar Mechanism. Only half of this is visible when you take off the stock, the right half, with chain and large upright gear. There was 12 pages of back and forth between Russian engineers on how the concept could be improved.
    Ha ha, amazing cutaway! Totally Jules Verne, the Russians love that kind of brass and cogwheel kind of thing. It even looks a bit like a Soviet BT tank from the 1930s. There are plenty of gears in there aren't there? Like with the Park chain-cocking gun I can't help but think they could have saved weight and some noise by using a cam-belt of some kind, although the AirStar would have to have been from a tiny engine if indeed a OHC exists of that size. I love this thread.

I just checked, it might work with a timing belt from a Honda GX25 25cc OHC engine, that looks really tiny.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 24-07-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Well neither did I .
    The last issue of that American airgun mag that people here whinge about costing too much , taking too long to get - dropped thru me letterbox - reasonable in depth article on the Rutten Winstar Mach 1 DE , and with some reference to the rest of the line-up - so now all up to speed
    Fraid for some people though these may all be too uniquely strange -
    I just got my copy of Airgun Hobbyist today and it is a very good article on the Rutten line, far more extensive than in the blue book. Some of these must be exceedingly rare? I saw a copy on line of the Winstar Mach 1 manual and it referenced the 200 and 250 DE, but have never seen or heard of these? And as you said a break-barrel? And other Browning variations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rutt...rrrZvTb5iPiJM:
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-07-2017 at 11:34 AM.

New RC battery pack is up to 400 shots on first charge and still going. I stayed with Nicd cause the charger is geared to them and in reading the newer batteries are not really better just less toxic to environment. Been flawless.

Break barrel

I just got my copy of Airgun Hobbyist today and it is a very good article on the Rutten line, far more extensive than in the blue book. Some of these must be exceedingly rare? I saw a copy on line of the Winstar Mach 1 manual and it referenced the 200 and 250 DE, but have never seen or heard of these? And as you said a break-barrel? And other Browning variations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rutt...rrrZvTb5iPiJM:
    Glad you got to read up .
    Yes the break barrel versions never seen here ( UK ) .
    All these Rutten made / Browning are rare .
    Oddly the one seen most here in UK anyway , is the early electric cocking Rutten made for Browning .

Glad you got to read up .
    Yes the break barrel versions never seen here ( UK ) .
    All these Rutten made / Browning are rare .
    Oddly the one seen most here in UK anyway , is the early electric cocking Rutten made for Browning .
    Similar here, I think the Electric was such a disaster that some stores may have got burned leaving future offerings with little momentum?

The WinStar is still on Pyramydair Website but just don't see them.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/WINSTAR_MACH_1_DE/80

No disaster just niche

Similar here, I think the Electric was such a disaster that some stores may have got burned leaving future offerings with little momentum?

The WinStar is still on Pyramydair Website but just don't see them.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/WINSTAR_MACH_1_DE/80
    No on the contrary , these were selling well here many moons ago .
    Expensive , eclectic always sells here in UK .
    The cost to make these must have been prohibitive . A rare quality airgun .
    Like so many too few made , too high a cost so like all these Browning rarely seen - a death usually releases one or two from an old collector's gunroom .
    I remember them being so sought after , that they were re-selling again - under the Umarex banner - and only a few years ago too !

No on the contrary , these were selling well here many moons ago .
    Expensive , eclectic always sells here in UK .
    The cost to make these must have been prohibitive . A rare quality airgun .
    Like so many too few made , too high a cost so like all these Browning rarely seen - a death usually releases one or two from an old collector's gunroom .
    I remember them being so sought after , that they were re-selling again - under the Umarex banner - and only a few years ago too !
    Are you sure about that?

I rarely see them come up for sale.

They weren't very desirable, compared to what else you could get for the money.

I suspect Umarex were selling off old stock, perhaps they had acquired them cheap when (IIRC) Rutten folded, or just because Rutten/Browning hadn't managed to shift them, and unloaded them to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Are you sure about that?

I suspect Umarex were selling off old stock, perhaps they had acquired them cheap when (IIRC) Rutten folded, or just because Rutten/Browning hadn't managed to shift them, and unloaded them to someone else.
    From what I read you are correct, they were poorly received, with old stock probably hanging around.

Horses for Courses

Seen in a Umarex catalgue as 'NEUE'
    But in German only , possibly only for sale in Germany .
    Remember they have the low power stipulation so easy to custom down the power on the Airstar design a tad I would think - to gain F mark status , which is an expensive and prolonged business - so not for a pallet of old stock from 15 + years previous ...

added ' New' BROWNING AIRSTAR

Thats 'Neu' - my German was never great .
    Just dragged the catalogue out . New item , German legal ' F ' power limit - as illustrated in the 2009 Umarex Catalogue ( Full Range Catalogue /Germany ) .

Thats 'Neu' - my German was never great .
    Just dragged the catalogue out . New item , German legal ' F ' power limit - as illustrated in the 2009 Umarex Catalogue ( Full Range Catalogue /Germany ) .
    Curious what was the price if listed? Reducing the power would I assume reduce the noise as well? Would be going from around 11 joules to 7.5. I've been shooting mine quite a bit this week and you can get quite used to the ease of pushing a button. Took out my other rifles and your reminded of the effort! Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 04-08-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Are you sure about that?

Rarely seen - thats cos they are mega rare now .
    Not desirable ? Webley level manufacture , with pro blued steel actions to match , unusual and unique cocking action .... shall I go on ?

The crux is most UK airgunners are conservative .
    If they had bypassed the UK and released these in the US only , or S. America , Rutten would be still making them .
    Something new comes along , expensive ...nah lets just stay with a break barrel springer .

Fair Price

Curious what was the price if listed? Reducing the power would I assume reduce the noise as well? Would be going from around 11 joules to 7.5. I've been shooting mine quite a bit this week and you can get quite used to the ease of pushing a button. Took out my other rifles and your reminded of the effort! Lol
    A very fair 300euro but as its all in German that may have been a wholesale price .
    It was advertised in this catalogue as a Browning AirStar and btw along with an airpistol called Browning 800 Mag - looks like a Diana Lp8 break barrel .
    Sound reduction - no idea man - am no expert in engineering but dare say the cocking sound would be the same . The recoil noise would be reduced but I don't think the sound of cocking the thing would differ ...
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 04-08-2017 at 01:52 PM.