Thread: .25 pellet sizing

.25 pellet sizing

Does anybody size .25 pellets for sub 12FTlb and if so with what pellets and with what results?

.25 pellet sizing

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    Does anybody size .25 pellets for sub 12FTlb and if so with what pellets and with what results?
    Whilst I size pellets for a .25 Webley Patriot running at close to 37 fpe this may be pertinent for sub 12 fpe as well as skirt sizing MAY send you over the 12 fpe limit. I nose and skirt size every pellet for three reasons. 1. None are thrown away as they all end up uniform. I choose skirt size for accuracy. 3. I skirt size to optimize power. I can nose and skirt size around 12-15 per minute in a die that I can increase skirt size and nose size to bore size (not groove size). Increasing skirt diameter may allow the compression pressure to further rise and send you over the limit. Of course this does not worry me.

Cheers

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I do with the old BSA .25's as they're actually .243". Pylarms worked well.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

.25 pellet sizer

Ok .25 tapered adjustable sizer ordered. i already have the other calibres

Marksman pellets in .25 work well in older bsa barrels I have found and FTTs in newer barrels. Though I have also been considering getting a pellet sizer. It is actual possible to get s sizer to match the finer tolerance for .243 or do they size them to 6.35? I have found a pellet seater always helps to get a snug fit in the breech though.
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Depends on the gun, modern &/or foreign built, shouldn't need sizing as they use true .25cal but BSA used a .243 mandrel to make their barrels so need a fractionally smaller pellet, the old green Rhino pellet was .243.

.25 pellet sizer

The latest .25 acquisition is an HW77 with a Steve Harper insert which shoots cloverleaf groups at 25 yrds with Rhinos but H&N are to tight. The HW80 and the SFS really like them so it would be nice to size some and stick to 1 brand of pellet

The latest .25 acquisition is an HW77 with a Steve Harper insert which shoots cloverleaf groups at 25 yrds with Rhinos but H&N are to tight. The HW80 and the SFS really like them so it would be nice to size some and stick to 1 brand of pellet
    Obvious thing is that there's no way to know if the H&N will be half way accurate in the 77, if the Rhino's are then I'd just buy up every one I could find

Have you tried marksman mate?
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Only occasion I had cause to "size" .25 Cal. pellets was for a BSA 635 Magnum and a Superstar. Both were .243 Caliber.
    I used .25 Rhino, Marksman, Bis. Mag, Superfield and F&TT.
    The latter turned out to perform best i.e. tighter groups.

I did however once own a .25 BSA Lightning Tac XL with what must have been a "true .25 bore" as it accepted and shot un-sized F&TT's really well !

I only have one "quarter bore" air rifle nowadays, a smashing SFS HW 80k which shoots unsized F&TT's with good accuracy !
    “An airgun or two”………