Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
I bought one when they first came out to use in the new sport of Field Target shooting. It was one of the most expensive sporting spring rifles of the time. I bought it on the recommendation of an article in Air Gun World written by a bloke called Rod Lynton who may be known to some of you as an exaggerator at the very least. Being 16 I was more credulous than I am today. Mr Lynton said that it would group under an inch at 40 yards, which is why I bought it. I also knew the Original Diana 45, on which the 50T01 is based, was a terrifically accurate rifle - so the 50T01 had to be better, didn't it? It had a fixed barrel after all...

Actual accuracy was about 3/4" at 25 yards with the best grouping pellet. I was disappointed. It seemed to have a very strong spring and recoilled heavily, which I put down to the power which the Airgun Centre said was 11.8 fpe. The first time I went to a competition with it, Dave Welham (before he went professional with AirMasters) said that they had bought one to test out, could not get it to group, had taken it back to the shop, tried two others and asked for his money back.

I bought a special Apel mount which has been made for it.

Negatives

The scope ramp was made of soft metal and under the heavy recoil, the recoil stud on the mount gradually wore a groove in the front of the ramp.
The plastic fore-sight slowly loosened and fell off the end of the barrel.
The trigger was not particularly nice in terms of feel, nor in terms of the trigger blade, which was a stamping.
Accuracy was very average, not nearly as good as my friend's Original Diana 45, nor as good as the old less powerful Model 50.
The spring failed during a competition, leaving me with 6 fpe.
The recoil was excessive considering the weight of the rifle.
The under-lever sticking out beyond the stock is unsightly.
The metal of the barrel seemed very soft and would scratch easily.
The rear-sight was mounted too far forward, in front of the loading tap, whereas the old 50 had one mounted behind it, giving a long sight base.
The use of plastic for the fore-sight unit and for the safety catch was surprising on a rifle that cost so much.
The underlever hinge pin would work loose under recoil.
The piston washer was still made of leather.

Positives

The high-comb cheek-piece-free stock is a very elegant and comfortable design.
The metal rearsight with a revolving leaf with different notches is excellent.

The Original Diana 50T01 is the worst single buy I have ever made. It was truly mediocre rifle at a premium price, I think it was even more expensive than the superlative Feinwerkbau Sport.

The 12-year-old HW35 Export I bought after I sold the 50T01 at a massive loss was a far better rifle. The 50T01 has no charm nor purpose, and it is a shame it shares a name with the really very competent Original 50 from earlier times, which it has nothing in common with.

I think very very few were bought because they are dreadful. Sales must have been 2% of that for the amazing 45, and most of the sales must have been to older people who were expecting an updated 50 with more power. They must have been disappointed. I was the single idiot in early FT to use one, it was nowhere near as good as the Feinwerkbau Sport which was 14 years its senior. The 50T01 didn't have to wait for the HW80 and HW77 to come out, it was obsolete the day it hit the shelves.

Avoid.
Sad but true, a very disappointing air rifle