Thread: Original 50 T01- Maligned by Some

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Come on man, stop beating about the bush and say what you really mean. Seriously, I appreciate your viewpoint as it comes from first-hand experience. It sounds woeful though. A lemon and an oversprung lemon at that. I have experienced an oversprung T01 and i almost broke a tooth. But not all of them are like that.
    Several of those negatives could or should affect a 45 as the ramp (and presumably steel) trigger, blade, piston seal, safety catch are the same. I didn't know about the plastic foresight as mine is cast steel.
    I'm not at all sure it's completely without charm as it is after all 50 with 45 guts. Neither of which are lacking in character or purpose. But perhaps there are limits to it's design and its best run (with leather) at well under 12fpe. Giving a leather washered tap loader enough spring to approach 12 is probably a bad idea. Perhaps The Airgun Centre- tuned rifles!- they say, gave them some serious coils. Who knows.
    I'm glad I didn't judge the model from one example and tracked one down for myself. I'm enjoying the strange hybrid nobody bought.
    YOu are right, memory failed me. The foresight was not plastic, it was Zamac or some other kind of rubbish. Thing was the muzzle had the dovetail grooves cut in it for a normal Original Diana foresight, so they were either being cheap or wanting the gun to look more 'futuristic' (cheap and tacky).

It was a .177 so maybe it was more heavily spring than your .22. You may be right about the Airgun Centre, perhaps they went too far with the chrome vanadium Swedish steel spring... I usually find the most of the time the best spring is the one the factory fits.

You did say you wanted malignancy! Also, Dave Welham maligned it, or rather dismissed it, and he is an expert rather than a keyboard warrior like myself. I hope you continue to enjoy your T01s as much as I disliked mine - as far as I know it was designed to go well over 12 fpe at least in .22. Modern pellets will help the accuracy a great deal.

Don't try an original Original 50 though, because you will see how they took a good gun tradition and made it into something very average.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 23-07-2017 at 05:44 PM.