Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original 50 T01- Maligned by Some

Here's a 50 got from a work mate

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Here's a 50 got from a work mate
    A very handsome rifle there mate. Looks like a good acquisition
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I can't now you have reminded me of the American Werewolf In London. The nightmare sequence is very nightmare-inducing. At least Tottenham Court Road Tube Station has been redesigned so it is less werewolf-friendly. A checkpoint on the Tay Bridge could be set up to keep the 50T01s in Fife.

I did actually come 6th or somewhere in the prize list from an entry of over 100 people with the T01 even at 6 fpe so it cannot have been all that bad. That's the thing when you are maligning stuff, you focus on the bad. It just cost me so much money!

If I had one today I would see about replacing the leather washer with a parachute from Vortek to increase efficiency, get the right spring for it and maybe sort a trigger shoe or tweak as well as doing something about the cocking lever. Like I said, nice stock on them.

Maybe I should buy one.
    Maybe you should fella
    Coming 6th from 100 with a gun at pistol output levels is very creditable to you and maybe even the gun. Its a shame it went kaput at that moment and its a case of what could have been unfortunately.
    And you are very right about the prices back in the day. The gun was one of the most expensive if not the most expensive gun outside of the range of match rifles around back then.
    Maybe after brexit there will be more free movement of 50T01s.
    And don't be replying to the bottom of the channel
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    A very handsome rifle there mate. Looks like a good acquisition
    Dave
    Forgot to say it's .177 and twangy at 7 ft.lb. so will need to get at it.

If the spring needs replaced, then an Airsporter MS012 spring from Chambers is recommended for the regular Model 50. I'd neither expect or want a big increase in power.
    But that's just my own preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    If the spring needs replaced, then an Airsporter MS012 spring from Chambers is recommended for the regular Model 50. I'd neither expect or want a big increase in power.
    But that's just my own preference.
    Agreed!

Aye if you want a bit.more punch if sure it can be fettled but I think over 11 and they.lose a lot of finess.
    Dave

That is a bitter tale because the walnut stocked 83 (with the 'improved trigger') would have cost a far bit more than the 77 and could not match it in any area, except build quality. It was incredibly frustrating watching the British airgun industry make repeated attempts at bringing out a German-beating air-rifle and being wide of the target. Webley's Omega was the only one which really did match them and by the time their R&D department had finally got its act together it was all over.
    When I shot a club mates Omega it had everything I like in a sporting air rifle...Except a precision two stage trigger mechanism. I still wished I had bought two though, a .177 carbine and .22 rifle. I think the Omega is I think the most frustrating rifle ever developed, why Webley's chief couldn't of asked Ken Turner to design them a sensitive sporting trigger, I'll never know. At least the Eclipse was obvious to all a feeble attempt at rivalling the HW77 from the out set.

I bought one when they first came out to use in the new sport of Field Target shooting. It was one of the most expensive sporting spring rifles of the time. I bought it on the recommendation of an article in Air Gun World written by a bloke called Rod Lynton who may be known to some of you as an exaggerator at the very least. Being 16 I was more credulous than I am today. Mr Lynton said that it would group under an inch at 40 yards, which is why I bought it. I also knew the Original Diana 45, on which the 50T01 is based, was a terrifically accurate rifle - so the 50T01 had to be better, didn't it? It had a fixed barrel after all...

Actual accuracy was about 3/4" at 25 yards with the best grouping pellet. I was disappointed. It seemed to have a very strong spring and recoilled heavily, which I put down to the power which the Airgun Centre said was 11.8 fpe. The first time I went to a competition with it, Dave Welham (before he went professional with AirMasters) said that they had bought one to test out, could not get it to group, had taken it back to the shop, tried two others and asked for his money back.

I bought a special Apel mount which has been made for it.

Negatives

The scope ramp was made of soft metal and under the heavy recoil, the recoil stud on the mount gradually wore a groove in the front of the ramp.
    The plastic fore-sight slowly loosened and fell off the end of the barrel.
    The trigger was not particularly nice in terms of feel, nor in terms of the trigger blade, which was a stamping.
    Accuracy was very average, not nearly as good as my friend's Original Diana 45, nor as good as the old less powerful Model 50.
    The spring failed during a competition, leaving me with 6 fpe.
    The recoil was excessive considering the weight of the rifle.
    The under-lever sticking out beyond the stock is unsightly.
    The metal of the barrel seemed very soft and would scratch easily.
    The rear-sight was mounted too far forward, in front of the loading tap, whereas the old 50 had one mounted behind it, giving a long sight base.
    The use of plastic for the fore-sight unit and for the safety catch was surprising on a rifle that cost so much.
    The underlever hinge pin would work loose under recoil.
    The piston washer was still made of leather.

Positives

The high-comb cheek-piece-free stock is a very elegant and comfortable design.
    The metal rearsight with a revolving leaf with different notches is excellent.

The Original Diana 50T01 is the worst single buy I have ever made. It was truly mediocre rifle at a premium price, I think it was even more expensive than the superlative Feinwerkbau Sport.

The 12-year-old HW35 Export I bought after I sold the 50T01 at a massive loss was a far better rifle. The 50T01 has no charm nor purpose, and it is a shame it shares a name with the really very competent Original 50 from earlier times, which it has nothing in common with.

I think very very few were bought because they are dreadful. Sales must have been 2% of that for the amazing 45, and most of the sales must have been to older people who were expecting an updated 50 with more power. They must have been disappointed. I was the single idiot in early FT to use one, it was nowhere near as good as the Feinwerkbau Sport which was 14 years its senior. The 50T01 didn't have to wait for the HW80 and HW77 to come out, it was obsolete the day it hit the shelves.

Avoid.
    Sad but true, a very disappointing air rifle

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    Sad but true, a very disappointing air rifle
    What were your experiences with the gun Rusty?
    Dave

Rod Lynton

I remember reading this article by Lynton and recently too but have mislaid it . I have only seen a few Or 50's maybe because I have never really chased after one Whenever one is found , money has usually just been spent on something else wanted more . But they are accurate and do have that certain something since I discovered them many moons ago . I have only one back issue of my cherished black and white Airgun Hobby magazine and there is a full 4 page article by an English writer no less on the 'original' earlier 50
    ( Vol7 No3 2010 Airgun Hobby The Original Model 50 /Hoare ) .
    Interesting that the author noted it was extremely accurate , but bucked like a mule . This later Or 50 with the longer chamber / spring , if I ever obtain one of these or the earlier version , think its one for the tuners . Bring the power down and re- tune for less stress of components .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    I remember reading this article by Lynton and recently too but have mislaid it . I have only seen a few Or 50's maybe because I have never really chased after one Whenever one is found , money has usually just been spent on something else wanted more . But they are accurate and do have that certain something since I discovered them many moons ago . I have only one back issue of my cherished black and white Airgun Hobby magazine and there is a full 4 page article by an English writer no less on the 'original' earlier 50
    Interesting that the author noted it was extremely accurate , but bucked like a mule . This later Or 50 with the longer chamber / spring , if I ever obtain one of these or the earlier version , think its one for the tuners . Bring the power down and re- tune for less stress of components .
    Would be an.interesting read that mate if you could post a link to it somehow?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Which would give you a pre-TO1 Diana 50, just a bit bigger and heavier and slightly less nice looking.

But, like you, I'd have one at the right price, just out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Which would give you a pre-TO1 Diana 50, just a bit bigger and heavier and slightly less nice looking.

But, like you, I'd have one at the right price, just out of interest.
    I picked up.my first 50 in Litts for £80 whilst en route to an AC/DC concert many moons ago. Just couldn't leave behind in the racks.
    Like many I.lusted after the T01 after.reading the infamous Lynton article. Its quite a bit shy performance wise of what was.reported on but is not all bad.And, being.Diana's great.white hope ( failed) it does make this marque just a little collectable.
    Dave

Im still enjoying my T01 and its very interesting to shoot it back to back with the regular 50 and the Original 45. I have it closer to the 45 in shooting feel and behind both in accuracy. That's not to say mine isn't accurate, it's good for what I use it for. And my 50s and 45s spoil me a bit.