Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do HW fans still think that the new type cocking shoe is a improvement

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Do HW fans still think that the new type cocking shoe is a improvement

Im still reluctant to buy the new HW break barrel guns and also the cast metal parts as spares as the old steel parts look stronger, I'm so old school lol, anyway has there been any reports of problems with the new cast parts and star breech barrels?
    To me the old metal stamp out steel shoe look stronger but maybe I'm wrong http://imgur.com/7LCNTwk

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Think you've found a big non-issue there. I've not had a problem with any of mine of many, many thousands of shots.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Let me guess. Diana has a better method?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think the new one is a better design, it runs on the cocking slot more accurately and cleanly. I don't give a monkey's about the mighty stamped steel one, it is not a Saxon sword to be matched against a Norman lance, but a small part that has to transmit force during a relatively slow compression stroke. Try crushing one in a vice or hitting one with a lump hammer. Test your prejudice!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 22-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think the new one is a better design, it runs on the cocking slot more accurately and cleanly. I don't give a monkey's about the mighty stamped steel one, it is not a Saxon sword to be matched against a Norman lance, but a small part that has to transmit force during a relatively slow compression stroke. Try crushing one in a vice or hitting one with a lump hammer. Test your prejudice!
    Yes you could be right I just have a liking for the old HW 80 as it was and didn't want it to change, a .20 star breech barrel might be the first thing that I might try

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    a .20 star breech barrel might be the first thing that I might try
    By golly if you are going to try out the diabolical '5mm' then anything could happen! Diabolos is one name for Satan because the Lord of Darkness works his evil through confusion. Is it a .177 with flat shooting? no ... is it a .22 with easy loading and good energy retention? no.... it is a .20 which was only invented to keep the Sheridan airgun company in profit. Star breeches will be the least of your troubles.

Get an FAC and use your HW80 in .22 at 20 fpe as God intended.

The old cocking shoe is junk, it runs up the spring or spring liner, pressing and wearing the spring liner into the spring.
    The new one runs in the cocking slot, a superb upgrade.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    The old cocking shoe is junk, it runs up the spring or spring liner, pressing and wearing the spring liner into the spring.
    What if it start galling on the cocking slot ?.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

I'm old school took prefer the old one but the tab can break that locates the cocking toe.None of mine have broke though the other thing with the new type is possible wear to the cylinder but I will keep an eye out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Think you've found a big non-issue there. I've not had a problem with any of mine of many, many thousands of shots.
    I've replaced most of my HW's with the new type - the only issue 'can be' that you will need to relieve the inletting of the stock at the trigger end to make space for the increased length of the new shoe.

Cheers Steve

I have a HW95 mk1 with the old shoe and Im waiting for the new show to arrive, Im hoping the new one will help out with my rattling cocking lever. can anyone advise if it will help with this?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    I have a HW95 mk1 with the old shoe and Im waiting for the new show to arrive, Im hoping the new one will help out with my rattling cocking lever. can anyone advise if it will help with this?
    The pin joint at the breech block should be tight, so yes the only other point it can rattle at is the shoe. If the breech block joint isnt tight then you could try shimming it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    yup
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yup
    I wonder if Ivan Hancock & Dave Pope thought the old shoes were junk, they seem to work OK in their guns