Thread: pleased to meet you all!

Lightbulb pleased to meet you all!

I am still using and appreciating my first decent air rifle which I bought in 1957 from a gunsmith in Sheffield.

I went in intending to buy a " Cadet-Major" but was tempted by the proprietor to purchase a BSA "Club"

I think he was having problems selling the .177 when the demand was for the .22 ?

the Club is of course the elegant target version of the Airsporter, with the tapered barrel and conical piston.

very flat trajectory and accurate out to 40 yards with power and penetration, it has got better over the last 60 years.

I bought a rather neglected and "fiddled with" BSA Scorpion pistol in .22 which I have been working on and am having problems with the trigger

I have been helped by some rather excellent photos I found on a website ( one of AirGun BBS ) group perhaps?

my problem is with the hammer spring, I can see from the photo that the hooked side goes behind the hammer.

my problem is deciding where the other end of the spring is located and thus how much tension there is on the spring.

Any help would be welcomed.

Other air weapons include an "El Gamo" Centre pistol in .177, A "Webley" Osprey in .22 .......

and a CO2 SMC XS 79 in .22.

I have a small workshop with a model engineers lathe and also a watch makers lathe for really precision small parts.

other hobbies include gardening (hence hatred of pigeons) and photograpy

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi and welcome to the BBS. sorry l can't help you with the Scorpian pistol trigger. but l am sure someone will be along to give you the help you need. by the way the gun shop owner did you a favor in selling you the Airsporter instead of the Cadet Major. very collectable now is the Club.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Have you never put a new spring in the Club? I have never owned one of those, it has a shorter stroke than the regular Airsporter, must be a sweet shooter. The BBS member known as ggggr (Guy) can help you out with the BSA Scorpion, should be fair easy to sort it.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy65 View Post
    I bought a rather neglected and "fiddled with" BSA Scorpion pistol in .22 which I have been working on and am having problems with the trigger

I have been helped by some rather excellent photos I found on a website ( one of AirGun BBS ) group perhaps?

my problem is with the hammer spring, I can see from the photo that the hooked side goes behind the hammer.

my problem is deciding where the other end of the spring is located and thus how much tension there is on the spring.

The double bend bit of the spring goes behind the hammer as you have said. The single bend bit goes in front of the intermediate sear (so it tensions as the hammer moves back). "half life" called a couple of weeks ago and took a couple of pics of how the trigger goes and sorted his. I don't know if he still has the pics (I don't have a camera/ camera phone)

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The BBS member known as ggggr (Guy) can help you out with the BSA Scorpion, should be fair easy to sort it.
    Scorpion easy????
    A few things to watch out for (1) that the long bit of the hammer isn't bent backwards. (2) The front of the hammer passes through and turns the safety shaft on the automatic safety models. The shaft is indexed by the little tail on the safety spring if you have problems with it cocking and not firing first time. The little safety spring can fly a very long way (3) use a slave peg to make getting the trigger back together easier (I never have---always thinking "next time) so mess with a small screw driver and tweezers,long nosed pliers. If you take the pin out above where all this is going on it makes it easier (4) If you do seem to get the trigger working in the housing, the method I use to get it back onto the cylinder is to pull the hammer back until it sets, then as you push the housing up to the cylinder, watching the long sear, as it gets into place, pull the trigger to seat the long sear.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post

Scorpion easy????
    Easy when you know how! I see you aren't short of experience on the old BSA blaster!

Red face thanks for the info

I will totter down to my workshop and try to follow your very useful information.

the trigger on the club is simple !

I keep being distracted by wood pigeons !

BSA Club

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Have you never put a new spring in the Club? I have never owned one of those, it has a shorter stroke than the regular Airsporter, must be a sweet shooter. The BBS member known as ggggr (Guy) can help you out with the BSA Scorpion, should be fair easy to sort it.

yes, it has had several new springs and a couple of piston washers over the years, plus a polish but 60 years of quite regular use has kept the polish good!

I dont know about a shorter piston stroke....I do know it is a b*****er to overcome the pre-compression on the spring sufficient to get the breech block/ trigger assembly

threads to engage

I've lost count of the airguns I've had into the shed and twiddled with, mostly successfully, but I still regard those Scorpion triggers as something of a black art, so I've printed out ggggr's advice ready for next time. Thanks.
    Mel.

I am still using and appreciating my first decent air rifle which I bought in 1957 from a gunsmith in Sheffield.

I went in intending to buy a " Cadet-Major" but was tempted by the proprietor to purchase a BSA "Club"

I think he was having problems selling the .177 when the demand was for the .22 ?

the Club is of course the elegant target version of the Airsporter, with the tapered barrel and conical piston.

very flat trajectory and accurate out to 40 yards with power and penetration, it has got better over the last 60 years.

Other air weapons include an "El Gamo" Centre pistol in .177, A "Webley" Osprey in .22 .......

and a CO2 SMC XS 79 in .22.

I have a small workshop with a model engineers lathe and also a watch makers lathe for really precision small parts.

other hobbies include gardening (hence hatred of pigeons) and photograpy

Here'a link to my Scorpion album which contains some close up's I took of the trigger unit, which may help. There are also instruction sheets and strip articles as well, all of which can be downloaded:

http://mynetimages.com/album/Trouble...r/BSA/Scorpion

yes, it has had several new springs and a couple of piston washers over the years, plus a polish but 60 years of quite regular use has kept the polish good!

I dont know about a shorter piston stroke....I do know it is a b*****er to overcome the pre-compression on the spring sufficient to get the breech block/ trigger assembly

threads to engage
    Only the earliest of Clubs with an E prefix to the serial number had a marginally reduced cocking stroke. Rifles prefixed EA onwards had the same length cylinder as the Airsporter. Mine is very smooth and is still capable of averaging around the 700 FPS mark. Lovely rifles.

Welcome to the BBS!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Only the earliest of Clubs with an E prefix to the serial number had a marginally reduced cocking stroke. Rifles prefixed EA onwards had the same length cylinder as the Airsporter. Mine is very smooth and is still capable of averaging around the 700 FPS mark. Lovely rifles.

Welcome to the BBS!

John
    You beat me to it John, I have recently acquired a Mk1 .177 from a good friend, and it is the standard length cylinder and clearly marked 'CLUB'. Not the very early short version.
    BASC