Thread: 17 hornet Case length trimming

17 hornet Case length trimming

Hi all

I have now finally got my 17 hornet set up running well , the groups I'm happy with and the powder choice after not being able to find lovex is n120 and again doing very well , to be honest it's been a challenge getting all the reloading gear together for this brilliant little cartridge and now that I'm on the second stage of reloading the cases I have run into another problem where no one seems to have a case trimmer ... albeit the lee quick trim and I have this but the cases just turn in the shell holder and this does not give a uniform trim and some are pretty ragged if I'm honest with it being a small case .
    For the guys that already are reloading for the hornet how do you trim your cases and were did you get the trimmer from and anyone else who could help me please in my quest to find one I would really appreciate it thanks .
    Regards
    Colin

I use the lee delux quick trim but (as it says on the instructions) take the ball bearing out or it spins the case.

Hi baldycoot
    I have removed the ball bearing and it still spins the case just wondering now if I have the right shell holder mine is H3 size cheers
    Regards
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by optima silk View Post
    Hi baldycoot
    I have removed the ball bearing and it still spins the case just wondering now if I have the right shell holder mine is H3 size cheers
    Regards
    Colin
    The correct Lee shell holder is #20.
    I had already taken the ball bearing out of mine as it seems to cut a better chamfer with all my cartridges up to .30 cal.
    BTW you do need to take off the spacer ring for short cartridges despite the 17 Hornet case being longer than 1.25".
    Mine is the Power Trim version and it has been great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    The correct Lee shell holder is #20.
    I had already taken the ball bearing out of mine as it seems to cut a better chamfer with all my cartridges up to .30 cal.
    BTW you do need to take off the spacer ring for short cartridges despite the 17 Hornet case being longer than 1.25".
    Mine is the Power Trim version and it has been great so far.
    Hi yeah I too have removed the spacer ring I can only presume that it's not sitting in the hornady shell holder correctly I will try the lee #20 as it's an inexpensive solution if that works .
    Thanks for your help guys .
    Regards
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by optima silk View Post
    Hi yeah I too have removed the spacer ring I can only presume that it's not sitting in the hornady shell holder correctly I will try the lee #20 as it's an inexpensive solution if that works .
    Thanks for your help guys .
    Regards
    Colin
    Watching with interest as Just ordered the Lee deluxe for my 17 Hornet.

Have made a tween die to reform 22 hornet cases which works really well and takes them straight down to 17. Now need to anneal, trim and fireform or if I can get the plunger right have a go at hydraulic forming.

I too had issues with the Lee 17 hornet dies. No 2 shellholder instead of 20. Ball bearing missing from the seater die. Snapped decapping pin due the clamp not holding despite two spanners and some strength. To be fair Lee has put everything right. Must've been a Friday afternoon job.
    CZ 527 in 17 Hornet. Anchutz 1417 .22lr - Rapid Mk2 .22 fac @ 28ftlbs with BSA barrel
    HW100KT .22 @12ftlbs - RWS Scimitar .22 @ 12ftlbs - AA S200 .22 @ 12ftlbs
    Archer NV