Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First HFT rifle

First HFT rifle

Hi all
    I'm looking for some advice on purchasing my first HFT rifle.
    I have tried an Airarms s400 but found the stock was a bit cramped and uncomfortable .
    I was thinking that the HW 100 kt with the adjustable laminated stock might suit ?

couple of lads shoot those well the 101 at the club they are good rifles very accurate, for hft you will need a single shot loader as well or load on in the mag each time, if you fancy an adjustable stock how about the hft500 its in the price bracket and a very good rifle for the money i have one myself and its very accurate
    TX200 Mk3 HW100 HW97

IMHO an adjustable stock is essential for HFT. not just for fit but more for a repeatable, correct head/eye position on the scope will reduce the chances of induced parallax error on incline/decline shots.

I personally rate the HW rifles and the adjustable laminate stocks are very nice indeed. bear in mind that you'll probably need to add an adjustable hamster later on as you get the fit of the rifle right. the pro's are that the HW's can be accurate, good fit and are easy enough to work on yourself. The cons are that there was a bad batch of barrels and they can sometimes be pellet fussy. Also you'll need a single shot loader but the HW will double as a good hunting rifle if you mix HFT and hunting.

If you're just going to shoot HFT then i would recommend the MPR FT or a fettled Mk4 EV2 (would be my choice). Both can be got for a reasonable SH price these days. I'm a Steyr man and have been for a very long time with both mine being in excess of 14 years old. A lot would depend on your budget.

As an example.....On our club board we have a fully fettled MPR sitting in a custom target stock for £750, at the very least it will give you an idea of prices and possible combinations. Also, ahem.....finding the right HFT scope is a much bigger minefield but we'll skip that one for the moment.

Any questions mate then please feel free to PM me.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Thanks for the advice I am working on getting some permission for vermin shooting at a couple of places I have a Bird of prey centre close that would take the rabbits .
    ChrisC are there any HW's to avoid with reguards to the poor barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfixer View Post
    Thanks for the advice I am working on getting some permission for vermin shooting at a couple of places I have a Bird of prey centre close that would take the rabbits .
    ChrisC are there any HW's to avoid with reguards to the poor barrels.
    If buying new mate...i think you're going to be fine. IIRC it was round 4 years ago the dodgy barrels were noticed and i think most would now have been recognised and replaced.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Hi all
    I'm looking for some advice on purchasing my first HFT rifle.
    I have tried an Airarms s400 but found the stock was a bit cramped and uncomfortable .
    I was thinking that the HW 100 kt with the adjustable laminated stock might suit ?
    What rifle are you using to shoot with now? S400 is a perfect HFT gun but you need to put an adjustable butt plate , about £12.00 now, on to bring the stock up to your eye level with the scope. As it is the butt sits very uncomfortably for most guys in the shoulder. You can always add a hamster for very little money at a later stage.
    A fully adjustable stock for a HFT gun is the best bet but these are also quite expensive and if not taylor made have as mcuh chance of being as ill fitting as some of the standard OEM stocks. I think that the HW 100 KT with the adjustable laminate stock is an excellent choice and some guys have had good success with AA HFT 500.
    I have noticed that more and more FT guns are being used in HFT, the likes of Steyr, FWB, FTP900 and Walther and if you look at the winners it is mostly with these guns but how much of it is the shooter and how much of it is the gun is subject of debate.
    Personally I'd have a class for " untuned " springers with iron sights only to sort out the men from the boys in which case I'd have to only watch from the side lines.

A.G
    Last edited by lensman57; 25-07-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Just to expand a little on what AG said about the top end target rifles being used in HFT. The main reason is the amount of adjustability you get built into these rifles as standard, they aren't 'tailor made' and most come with every adjustable bit you'll need. I also just want to say that A.G's comment of 'FT guns are being used in HFT, the likes of Steyr, FWB, FTP900 and Walther' isn't totally correct as most of those rifles were originally 10m jobbies. I have owned a LOT of different rifles over the years and the 6 best grouping (at 55 yards) were.

No1. AA MPR FT that i bought for a club member and tried out first. Stunning to shoot and would consistantly group sub 10mm at 55 yards
    No2. Daystate Platinum that i shot for the Daystate HFT team, stunning grouping rifle but oddly would miss when used on a HFT course??
    No3. My FT Steyr LG100, 14 years old and will group consistantly sub 15mm
    No4. My HFT Steyr LG100, 15 years old and groups as above.
    No5. AA MPR FT, grouped sub 15mm at 55 yards
    No6. AA S400 GML, was a dream to shoot, grouped well and put one or two trophies on the shelf. I only sold it to get a bit more adjustability with the Steyr.

In HFT or FT it's not always the best grouping rifle you want...of course it's one of the primary starting points but other things to take into account are.

How good is it in the wind
    How easily does it come into the shoulder/balance/weight for standers
    How easily does it come into the shoulder/balance/weight for kneelers
    How does it fit for the supported shots

From the above you would assume i'd have gone for a custom stocked MPR but for me, The Steyr ticks more HFT/FT boxes and there's nothing i can't do if there's a problem/servicing.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 26-07-2017 at 08:28 AM.

If you do decide to take the HW100 adjustable laminate.
    Its not widely known,but you can order a full length version from Hull cartridge.(special order)

The K carbine will give you 60 shots in .177.
    Where as the full length will do 110..

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Just to expand a little on what AG said about the top end target rifles being used in HFT. The main reason is the amount of adjustability you get built into these rifles as standard, they aren't 'tailor made' and most come with every adjustable bit you'll need. I also just want to say that A.G's comment of 'FT guns are being used in HFT, the likes of Steyr, FWB, FTP900 and Walther' isn't totally correct as most of those rifles were originally 10m jobbies. I have owned a LOT of different rifles over the years and the 6 best grouping (at 55 yards) were.

No1. AA MPR FT that i bought for a club member and tried out first. Stunning to shoot and would consistantly group sub 10mm at 55 yards
    No2. Daystate Platinum that i shot for the Daystate HFT team, stunning grouping rifle but oddly would miss when used on a HFT course??
    No3. My FT Steyr LG100, 14 years old and will group consistantly sub 15mm
    No4. My HFT Steyr LG100, 15 years old and groups as above.
    No5. AA MPR FT, grouped sub 15mm at 55 yards
    No6. AA S400 GML, was a dream to shoot, grouped well and put one or two trophies on the shelf. I only sold it to get a bit more adjustability with the Steyr.

In HFT or FT it's not always the best grouping rifle you want...of course it's one of the primary starting points but other things to take into account are.

How good is it in the wind
    How easily does it come into the shoulder/balance/weight for standers
    How easily does it come into the shoulder/balance/weight for kneelers
    How does it fit for the supported shots

From the above you would assume i'd have gone for a custom stocked MPR but for me, The Steyr ticks more HFT/FT boxes and there's nothing i can't do if there's a problem/servicing.
    Sorry Chris. You are right and I stand corrected. I somehow gave the impression that using such rifles will give an unfair advantage to the shooter which clearly is not the case. Besdides the stock adjustability issue an accurate rifle is an accurate rifle and it is the shooter that is the determining factor. I am however, concerned that a new person wishing to start in HFT, may get the wrong inpression that to be able to do the sport one needs a £2500.00 rig which is not the case. I don't know about other regions but in the NW the sport is not progressing in popularity so it could get all the help it gets.

A.G

I have used an AA FTP900 for HFT but it was way too heavy for my liking. "Downgraded" to an HFT500 and never looked back. Superb rifle. I also tried my AA TX200 at HFT but found it was too front heavy. Put about a kilo of lead in the butt and although it is heavier it is perfectly balanced and good for HFT.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Sorry Chris. You are right and I stand corrected. I somehow gave the impression that using such rifles will give an unfair advantage to the shooter which clearly is not the case. Besdides the stock adjustability issue an accurate rifle is an accurate rifle and it is the shooter that is the determining factor. I am however, concerned that a new person wishing to start in HFT, may get the wrong inpression that to be able to do the sport one needs a £2500.00 rig which is not the case. I don't know about other regions but in the NW the sport is not progressing in popularity so it could get all the help it gets.

A.G
    No worries at all as you're pretty much bang on with the advice you give. Funnily enough I was at a mate's wedding reception last sat and reminisced about an article he wrote in one of the mags about cheaper rifles being good enough for HFT. I brought along a S200 that did have a poor trigger fitted with a 10 mag MTC Viper. We had a zero with it, filled it with air and went around a HFT comp. IIRC I finished first with a 57 and Kieran finished second with a 56. Like you said, if the rifle is accurate enough and you know your way around a HFT course then a sub £400 rig can do the business.

A lot of the top HFT shooters do shoot the top end of target rifles but that's because they've worked their way through the ranks and learnt through trial and error what they personally need....and they can afford to purchase those rigs. I think one of the most expensive HFT rifle/scope combinations i've seen came close to 4.5k but the owner never won the open or the worlds. He just loved the set up and could afford it.

There's something to be admired about a shooter that brings along a cheaper rig, boinger or .22 and makes the top boys sweat.

Again thank you for all your advise very helpful.
    In the for sale section there is a HW100kt carbine for sale that looks interesting lots of extras and custom stock do you think that would suit HFT and a bit of hunting vermin ?
    Have just got permission on 2500 acre's 😀

Again thank you for all your advise very helpful.
    In the for sale section there is a HW100kt carbine for sale that looks interesting lots of extras and custom stock do you think that would suit HFT and a bit of hunting vermin ?
    Have just got permission on 2500 acre's 😀
    What? Joking aren't you? I think £900.00 for that gun plus all the bits and pieces is a fair price. The stock alone is worth £350.00~£400.00.

A.G

Was'nt asking if it was a good price, I'm asking if it would suit my needs !

Was'nt asking if it was a good price, I'm asking if it would suit my needs !
    I think AG was trying to say what a decent buy that set up is It would absolutely be cock on as a HFT/hunting rig and was my choice when rook shooting over the last few years. My mate cleared a HFT course with a HW100.

Just verify how much test the bottle has and whether it's 300bar and if you have the chance try and get the seller to let you shoot a full fill through the rifle to make sure it groups well.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 27-07-2017 at 06:16 AM.