Thread: Bit of advice regarding my stirrup pump.

Bit of advice regarding my stirrup pump.

I have an FX Stage 4 turbo pump but I think it may have an issue with a seal as it's not pumping air properly. If you cover the valve and pull up there is resistance and when pushing down there is a little but when you hit the end of the cycle only the slightest bit of air blows out (literally a small burst) - any thoughts as to what it may be? Is it worth getting repaired or will it cost too much?

cheers

Not sure about the pump but my advice is not to put your finger over a hi pressure air source and pump it.
    The most serious damage that can be caused by compressed air occurs when air is blown in under the skin, for example via an open wound. It can lead to an air embolism, in which air bubbles are pressed into the veins and transported along the bloodstream. When the air bubble reaches the heart it causes symptoms similar to those of a heart attack. When the air bubble reaches the brain, it can cause a stroke. This type of injury can be directly fatal. Since compressed air usually contains small amounts of oil or dirt, severe infections can also occur if the compressed air enters the body.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Not sure about the pump but my advice is not to put your finger over a hi pressure air source and pump it.
    The most serious damage that can be caused by compressed air occurs when air is blown in under the skin, for example via an open wound. It can lead to an air embolism, in which air bubbles are pressed into the veins and transported along the bloodstream. When the air bubble reaches the heart it causes symptoms similar to those of a heart attack. When the air bubble reaches the brain, it can cause a stroke. This type of injury can be directly fatal. Since compressed air usually contains small amounts of oil or dirt, severe infections can also occur if the compressed air enters the body.
    Yes yes yes I know this all too well and if the pump was working properly then I wouldn't do it. I use compressors so know the pitfalls.

Quote Originally Posted by EastmidsHD View Post
    I have an FX Stage 4 turbo pump but I think it may have an issue with a seal as it's not pumping air properly. If you cover the valve and pull up there is resistance and when pushing down there is a little but when you hit the end of the cycle only the slightest bit of air blows out (literally a small burst) - any thoughts as to what it may be? Is it worth getting repaired or will it cost too much?

cheers
    I've looked at getting a FX pump serviced in the past, & it isn't worth it - might as well buy a new one for the cost of labour/seals/postage
    edit If under warranty get it sent back

Sounds like the final stage seal has gone.
    For the price of the seal (or full seal kit) i would have a go at fixing it yourself.

I have fixed 4 stage version in the past and found it easier than the 3 stage.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger1234 View Post
    Sounds like the final stage seal has gone.
    For the price of the seal (or full seal kit) i would have a go at fixing it yourself.

I have fixed 4 stage version in the past and found it easier than the 3 stage.
    Thanks, I'll check out some prices.