Thread: What's the scope of choice nowadays..?

What's the scope of choice nowadays..?

Hello all,

Just wondering if there's a scope manufacturer or model of choice at the moment? I've done a few Google searches but not a great deal besides some American stuff is popping up - very few UK based reviews to look through. Are the physical magazines any better..?

I've got a couple of MTC Viper fixed mags, which are excellent on my HW97 and 98, but I've not be out in a while, maybe 18 months so I've lost track of their range.

Usage is primarily pseudo FT, and generally picking the furthest set of targets at the club It will be attached to my HW100 which currently sports a 2009 era Nikko Nighteater which is ok, but not great.

Does anybody use the Falcon 44mm FFP's?

Is there anything I'm missing for say £350 ish, maybe more?

I notice BAR are stocking a new Italian brand, Konus - anybody know anything about them..?
    Weihrauch HW97K - MTC Viper 10x44: Weihrauch HW98 - MTC Viper 10x44 : Weihrauch HW100S - Nikko Platinum Nighteater 6-24x56

FT Scopes

Shooting Sports have a FT Scope article this month. Included are

Falco T50 10-50x60 £450
    Hawke 30IR 8-32x56 SF £389
    Kahles 10-50x56 FT £2599
    Leupold 45-45 Comp. £1695
    March X 8-80x56 £2553 - £3037
    MTC Viper Pro 5-30x50 £398
    Nikko Sportsman 10-50x60 £979 - £1073
    Sightron S111 10-50x60 £1375
    S&B 12.5-50x56 £2945
    Vortex 15-60x52 HD £1666

The above prices don't include the rifle
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

My God. At 30-40 yards?

And I use an old Simmons ProAir 4-12x40 AO and cheap Sabre 2-7x32 AO.

And occasionally an old Bushnell Legend 4-16 x40 AO if I want to show off.

OK, I don't do FT or HFT, but I can only say that I'm glad I don't.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post
    Hello all,

Just wondering if there's a scope manufacturer or model of choice at the moment? I've done a few Google searches but not a great deal besides some American stuff is popping up - very few UK based reviews to look through. Are the physical magazines any better..?

I've got a couple of MTC Viper fixed mags, which are excellent on my HW97 and 98, but I've not be out in a while, maybe 18 months so I've lost track of their range.

Usage is primarily pseudo FT, and generally picking the furthest set of targets at the club It will be attached to my HW100 which currently sports a 2009 era Nikko Nighteater which is ok, but not great.

I notice BAR are stocking a new Italian brand, Konus - anybody know anything about them..?
    What scope you want depends on what you want to do with the gun. A 10X50X60 Sightron SIII is not much use if you wanted to do hunting or HFT.
    I have an Optisan ( MTC ) 4X16X44 FFP that is excellent. Once the reticule is calibrated to the rifle/pellet combination you can alter the magnification without worrying about recalibration of the reticule which is handy for both hunting, HFT and general target shooting but at low mags, less than 7X the reticule becomes a little too small to use all the aim points.
    Konus is well made but the glass is nothing special. The turrets track well in the " Pro " versions . I think that for the asking money you might be able to do better.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    My God. At 30-40 yards?

Despite having a few pieces of " exotic glass " I found the best HFT scope for me was the £80.00 Hawke Panorama EV 3X9X40 @ 8X and reparallaxed by my own good hands to 25 Yards. I share your sentiments Arthur.
    I know that people do with their money what they wish and quite rightly, but when I visit AIR in the winter months during the day I can not but be amazed at the number of " super guns " topped with equally impressive " telescopes " that spend most of the time on the gun rests as subjects of shooting banter rather than being shot. Not for me. I work my guns to exhaustion.

A.G

Hello all,

There are loads of scopes that would fit your requirement, it just depends what you like,
    1st/2ndFP, reticle, turret type, AO/SF, is it just bling for the sake of it or do you actually need better glass
    the age of the scope is immaterial if it suits your eye & does the business, same goes for cost/looks.

The model of choice at the moment doesn't matter a toss, if your eye can't get on with it go to as many shops as you can look through as many scopes as you can & buy the one with the best picture & ret for YOU.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    There are loads of scopes that would fit your requirement, it just depends what you like,
    1st/2ndFP, reticle, turret type, AO/SF, is it just bling for the sake of it or do you actually need better glass
    the age of the scope is immaterial if it suits your eye & does the business, same goes for cost/looks.

The model of choice at the moment doesn't matter a toss, if your eye can't get on with it go to as many shops as you can look through as many scopes as you can & buy the one with the best picture & ret for YOU.
    This !
    And if you fancy a day out, attend a few Game Fairs and visit the scope manufacturers stands !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    My God. At 30-40 yards?

No, 55 yds.

HFT makes an educated guess on the range and they only go to 45. As you can't touch the scope a deep depth of field is required so the average scope is 7x32-10x40

FT uses high mag and big glass to determine the depth of field and goes out to 55. High mag pushes big glass meaning it gets more expensive the further you push the quality.

Both are quite precise and technical sports shot in the field. They're not for everyone.

I stand corrected.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Hello all,

I use the Falcon 4-14x44 FFP MOA on a TX200HC and a HW90TB, its excellent. Well made, good optics and the MOA reticle (they do various rets) has an extended lower leg allowing for further ranges should you wish to plink tin cans at 100yards

Its heavy, but balances well, probably not a hunters scope, but if you're not moving around much and want quality at a reasonable price, the Falcon fits the bill.

Have a look at this.

I have one and for the money it's excellent.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p102889-haw.../#.WXi8GITytqM[
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.