Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bsa spitfire service,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Yes will do , Thanks bud, Just to ask again if filling from dive tank via adapter just go slowly to 190 is it,
    190 bars is way too high. The pressure relief valve will limit it to 1900 PSI or just under according to Bowket, if its working properly.

As you fill you will see the indicator on top of the scope rail rise up.
    There should be white rings around it.
    You fill till you see three rings I think.

If you put too much in air hisses out of the indicator and you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    As you fill you will see the indicator on top of the scope rail rise up.
    There should be white rings around it.
    You fill till you see three rings I think.

If you put too much in air hisses out of the indicator and you stop.
    Go to the facebook Spitfire group page where the instructions on how to use the pressure relief valve/shot indicator are fully detailed. All from the BSA instruction leaflet. No guesswork .

did join the bsa group but could not find the spitfire one. will keep on looking thanks. When the valve rises on top by scope rail . will it go down on its own or do you have to push it back down manually

Just joined the fb spitfire and Firebird group and just waiting for approval.

The indicator goes down as you shoot.
    When it reaches bottom you fill again.

It's easy to do.
    As you know the gun is designed to be filled from a screw in buddy bottle which makes the indicator blow when full.
    The same thing will happen when you use a hose.

This is from the Spitfire and Firebird owners group but was originally on the JB fanpage.

Here's some info on how to used the buddy bottle on a sf spitfire

Here is a great piece from John to go with the Spitfire article

The unique internal straight line valving in the Spitfire dates back to one of my 1980s designs. On Facebook there is a photo of a prototype complete with a slightly different anti-bounce mechanism that I made around 1990 while I was associated with Titan Developments. The production Spitfire was equipped with my S10 anti-bounce device but slightly modified. I will see if I can find the photo.
    The Spitfire went into production in 2000. The idea was to use S10 buddy bottles to top up the rifle. It would be a companion to the flagship but at the other end of the price scale using many components from the production springers but with S10 type barrel/rifling. The Spitfire working pressure is only 1900psi (approx. 130 bars). The buddy bottle is screwed directly into the socket in front of the trigger. No connectors or charging gear is required. The combined shot indicator/pressure relief valve cuts in when that pressure is reached. You cannot overfill the gun. The reservoir volume is small (approx. 50cc) so 2 or 3 full fills can be had from a buddy bottle.
    However, the secret of the Spitfires practicality is to be found in its shot indicator. The short 10” barrel carbine will give 25-30 shots per full fill and the 15” barrel rifle another ten or so. The procedure is as follows. Set a target at the maximum range you would use the rifle at - say 45 yards (40M). Give the rifle a full fill until the bleed valve cuts in at 2300psi. It will then slowly fizz down to 1900psi (130 bars) which is the maximum working pressure for the valving. At this point the post of the shot indicator will be at its uppermost limit. The post is in the middle of the pressure relief valve. Start shooting until your point of impact starts to drop on target. Note the position of the post a this stage. It has horizontal lines to help. As long as the post is above this level your shots will be constant. Topping up can be whenever you want. The 200cc bottle is small enough to be portable and there is no charging gear. After a couple of fills the bleed valve will not hiss because its pressure has dropped. This does not matter as long as the post is above the lower limit you previously noted you will get consistent shots but fewer of them per part fill. As an experiment I carried on topping up as many times as I could before there was no longer enough pressure to raise the indicator above its lower level. From the 15” barrel Spitfire I got almost 200 shots.
    Due to over enthusiastic use of a flapwheel the main sealing surface inside the air reservoir of the first batch of rifles was damaged. This caused a slow leak. Did they scrap the faulty components? No. The answer that BSA management had to the problem was to go ahead and launch the Spitfire with these faulty cylinders and state that the rifle was designed to hold a “transient charge”. It would hold air for 2-3 days. This was stated in the instruction leaflets that came with the Spitfire. Who wants to buy a pcp that leaks from new. Certainly gunshops would not touch them with a bargepole. NOTHING CHANGES DOES IT!!!!!! This effectively killed sales. Marketing reported in addition that in a gunshop it looked too much like a springer to attract attention.
    LikeShow More Reactions
    Comment

Regarding the power drop and shooting at 45 yards, when I received mine from bowkett , what I decided I wanted to do being a consistant shot to shot kind of person, was to fill it so that it's full then put every shot over the Chrono and count how many it does with a range of fps that I would be confident with.

And so I found that mine was shooting jsb 16grains at 11.4 straight from the first shot and gave me 35 perfect shots with a spread of just 4 feet per second, but allot were identical. So with that I looked at my metal drum with the indicator through it, and saw that once the 35 shots were shot, the inside thread would drop to being perfectly flush to the top of the drum.

Therefore I am confident that if I can see any of the indicator protruding the drum I'm good to shoot a vermin or a target in Hft with confidence that the shot is going to be regulated if you like, and believe me my one has come back better than some of my regulated pcps

I have the longer barrel on mine but have yet to measure so assume it must be a 15". If I carried on shooting which I did for another 8 shots, I would probably be able to plink for say 50 shots and wouldnt be too far away from an extra half mildot at 45 , but take my advice and put it through the Chrono as I did then you will be more confident in whats going on with yours

Atb
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    This is from the Spitfire and Firebird owners group but was originally on the JB fanpage.

Here's some info on how to used the buddy bottle on a sf spitfire

Here is a great piece from John to go with the Spitfire article

The unique internal straight line valving in the Spitfire dates back to one of my 1980s designs. On Facebook there is a photo of a prototype complete with a slightly different anti-bounce mechanism that I made around 1990 while I was associated with Titan Developments. The production Spitfire was equipped with my S10 anti-bounce device but slightly modified. I will see if I can find the photo.
    The Spitfire went into production in 2000. The idea was to use S10 buddy bottles to top up the rifle. It would be a companion to the flagship but at the other end of the price scale using many components from the production springers but with S10 type barrel/rifling. The Spitfire working pressure is only 1900psi (approx. 130 bars). The buddy bottle is screwed directly into the socket in front of the trigger. No connectors or charging gear is required. The combined shot indicator/pressure relief valve cuts in when that pressure is reached. You cannot overfill the gun. The reservoir volume is small (approx. 50cc) so 2 or 3 full fills can be had from a buddy bottle.
    However, the secret of the Spitfires practicality is to be found in its shot indicator. The short 10” barrel carbine will give 25-30 shots per full fill and the 15” barrel rifle another ten or so. The procedure is as follows. Set a target at the maximum range you would use the rifle at - say 45 yards (40M). Give the rifle a full fill until the bleed valve cuts in at 2300psi. It will then slowly fizz down to 1900psi (130 bars) which is the maximum working pressure for the valving. At this point the post of the shot indicator will be at its uppermost limit. The post is in the middle of the pressure relief valve. Start shooting until your point of impact starts to drop on target. Note the position of the post a this stage. It has horizontal lines to help. As long as the post is above this level your shots will be constant. Topping up can be whenever you want. The 200cc bottle is small enough to be portable and there is no charging gear. After a couple of fills the bleed valve will not hiss because its pressure has dropped. This does not matter as long as the post is above the lower limit you previously noted you will get consistent shots but fewer of them per part fill. As an experiment I carried on topping up as many times as I could before there was no longer enough pressure to raise the indicator above its lower level. From the 15” barrel Spitfire I got almost 200 shots.
    Due to over enthusiastic use of a flapwheel the main sealing surface inside the air reservoir of the first batch of rifles was damaged. This caused a slow leak. Did they scrap the faulty components? No. The answer that BSA management had to the problem was to go ahead and launch the Spitfire with these faulty cylinders and state that the rifle was designed to hold a “transient charge”. It would hold air for 2-3 days. This was stated in the instruction leaflets that came with the Spitfire. Who wants to buy a pcp that leaks from new. Certainly gunshops would not touch them with a bargepole. NOTHING CHANGES DOES IT!!!!!! This effectively killed sales. Marketing reported in addition that in a gunshop it looked too much like a springer to attract attention.
    LikeShow More Reactions
    Comment
    Thanks very much for this, Cheers bud

Quote Originally Posted by Dan944 View Post
    Regarding the power drop and shooting at 45 yards, when I received mine from bowkett , what I decided I wanted to do being a consistant shot to shot kind of person, was to fill it so that it's full then put every shot over the Chrono and count how many it does with a range of fps that I would be confident with.

And so I found that mine was shooting jsb 16grains at 11.4 straight from the first shot and gave me 35 perfect shots with a spread of just 4 feet per second, but allot were identical. So with that I looked at my metal drum with the indicator through it, and saw that once the 35 shots were shot, the inside thread would drop to being perfectly flush to the top of the drum.

Therefore I am confident that if I can see any of the indicator protruding the drum I'm good to shoot a vermin or a target in Hft with confidence that the shot is going to be regulated if you like, and believe me my one has come back better than some of my regulated pcps

I have the longer barrel on mine but have yet to measure so assume it must be a 15". If I carried on shooting which I did for another 8 shots, I would probably be able to plink for say 50 shots and wouldnt be too far away from an extra half mildot at 45 , but take my advice and put it through the Chrono as I did then you will be more confident in whats going on with yours

Atb
    Daniel
    Ok cheers bud, I gave a skan u it here so will give it a try, Thanks

I have had a couple of these, the latest one is a Bisley model with long barrel and target sights which was produced for cadet shooting teams. Doing tests the other day at the range it shot tiny groups outshooting my Walther LG55.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD