Thread: Diana's Choice of current underlevers, what is missing?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Diana's Choice of current underlevers, what is missing?

http://imgur.com/nA9wE9Z

I would like to see a PS competitor

I gather the break-barrels are well regarded, too, even if they are without the publicity that surrounds HW. I am looking for a new springer and am tempted to purchase from Diana.

I wonder if anyone can guide us as to the accuracy and power of these rifles (sub FAC) and, one hopes, it will not be necessary to have to send them away for tuning.

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    http://imgur.com/nA9wE9Z

I would like to see a PS competitor
    They are more than capable of producing a PS competitor but I wonder if they have spread themselves a bit thin as it stands? What I mean by this is that introducing a completely new gun could rob sales from.other models. As nice as it is to have such an extensive range it could be risky.
    The other thing is the PS already has one of tge finest barrels in the world and is very accurate as standard. As much as I would 110% wish Diana the very best in bringing out a concealed underlever gun, realistically it would need to be a PS beater not simply a competitor.
    That's going some.....

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    They are more than capable of producing a PS competitor but I wonder if they have spread themselves a bit thin as it stands? What I mean by this is that introducing a completely new gun could rob sales from.other models. As nice as it is to have such an extensive range it could be risky.
    The other thing is the PS already has one of tge finest barrels in the world and is very accurate as standard. As much as I would 110% wish Diana the very best in bringing out a concealed underlever gun, realistically it would need to be a PS beater not simply a competitor.
    That's going some.....
    Yes you could right although the areas where Diana could have a advantage over the PS is a more robust cocking linkage and lever and much more suitable for FAC and for the US and could be even better looking if they tried

Normally, about this time,I pop up and ask for a Schnabel tipped Model 50 based on a 430 so I'm not going to disappoint you.
    On the subject of their break barrels: yes, they are very nice indeed. I have recently bought a .177 34 Premium and it has hit the spot perfectly. Better than I expected and I am not in any rush to have it kitted. I don't mind large, heavy guns but I prefer slim, light ones if they have the accuracy and manners. And this does.

Well, I like Diana airguns (own 4 x) but there are a few things that could be improved on the underlevers and break barrels such as :-

more efficient design leading to easier cocking stroke without resorting to mahoosive swept volume

More Walnut Stocks.

Proper height cheek pieces for scopes

2 piece cocking lever so no mahoosive slot under forend

Ditch the plastic forsight and go back to the nice tunnel one with elements, infact ditch all the plastic.

longer length of pull on standard stocked versions, the thumholes seem almost too long!!

make sure the rifling is always central to the barrel blank.

Make the stutzen have a airsporter / prosport type consealed under leaver then it does't have a mega mahoosive slot running all the way down the underside of the forend.
    Infact enhance the stutzen with walnut, nice sights, prosport under lever effecient action to reduce cocking effort and I would buy one over a prosport
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Main problem with new Diana's is that they are difficult to sell on when you fancy a change. Advertised a near new 430 on here recently, shoots spot on, lovely trigger, was selling £130 cheaper than new but no takers. Suspect a similar hw would have gone quick sticks. They just aren't as popular but carry a premium price tag. Shame because they are fine guns, same goes for older models.

Yes you could right although the areas where Diana could have a advantage over the PS is a more robust cocking linkage and lever and much more suitable for FAC and for the US and could be even better looking if they tried
    For those reasons I'd certainly like to see them bring out a gun of this ilk.
    I think if they spent some time getting the research and testing done they could come out with a winner, but it needs to be good- very good indeed.
    Last edited by jonnyone; 27-07-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Typo

I think my perfect Diana would be:

430 action and current length
    walnut stock
    tyrolean cheek
    prosport underlever (so the forend can be solid)
    rose wood schnaebel forend
    metal tunnel foresight
    williams peep sight at the back

I think I need to make friends with a stock maker, then I could have a Prosport version of this....

Incase some of you guys are wondering how easy or hard it would be for Diana to make a concealed underlever look at this amiture job.
    http://imgur.com/ShqlyIt

http://imgur.com/RxisL9t

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    They'd have to go some to better the Prosports looks and I don't think there's much any gun maker can do to improve upon them (the looks that is), if Diana did a walnut Tyrolean Stutzen with a hidden underlever then that would be something rather special and would put that rifle into a completely different ball park, it wouldn't be in competition with the PS and wouldn't need to be either, people wouldn't need to compare or choose between the two (or bitch about either) as if you're serious about your shooting then you'd want both in your collection as both rifles would have their own character and how they shoot and handle.

If Diana brought out a PS challenger then we would have to endure even more pointless TX v 97 style threads, as we all know TX's and 97/77's have their own characters and followers, if Diana want to produce a hidden underlever rifle then they need to divert peoples attention away from the norm (like they have with the Mauser 98k) and produce something people are going to really WANT to own and considering most people want a Stutzen and a Tyro stocked rifle in their collection then they could kill several birds with one stone with said rifle.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Barry, Diana have to up the build quality on par with AA before they decide to design any new models.
    I'm a Diana fan and the 440TH I owned was an excellent accurate rifle, but was too difficult to cock not helped by the slim stubby under lever which is denied a strong sprung loaded retaining button. Also a little bit of decent moly grease on the compression tube and piston skirt wouldn't go amiss either. They are on to a winner with the T06 trigger though, just a shame they fell a bit short in other important areas.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Barry, Diana have to up the build quality on par with AA before they decide to design any new models.
    I'm a Diana fan and the 440TH I owned was an excellent accurate rifle, but was too difficult to cock not helped by the slim stubby under lever which is denied a strong sprung loaded retaining button. Also a little bit of decent moly grease on the compression tube and piston skirt wouldn't go amiss either. They are on to a winner with the T06 trigger though, just a shame they fell a bit short in other important areas.
    Hi Derek, fair points the 440 is hard to cock because not only does it have a short lever the pin is in the wrong position on the lever for a short stroke springer, originally the lever was for the long stroke 460 giving a short cocking stroke on a very long stroke gun, the 460 at 12 ft/lbs is light one finger cocking at 19 ft/lbs medium cocking and at 28 ft/lbs over 50 lbs cocking effort
    If diana moved the cocking pin on the 440 to here in the pic it would easy cocking
    http://imgur.com/L16195R

I like the build quality just look at the set up at the lever fulcrum, the almost unbreakable cocking linkage and a hinge pin instead of a cocking shoe, also it has a one piece cylinder

You are right about the lube and the spring loaded retaining button but these are easy to fix

I would like a 440 with a more robust cocking lever, a more elegant muzzle end, and a high-comb, scope-optimised, and preferably walnut, stock. But that would be an HW97/TX with a better-located safety catch. Which is not a bad idea.

I would also like to see a reintroduction of the flip-up loading port from the (?) 46, and a reintroduction of the 300R.

And a carbine version of the K98k lookalike, modelled on the Gew 33/40. On the 440 action.

None of this will happen.

440 isn't current, not in either the 2016 or 2017 catalogues. Same for the 430 Stutzen. If the 440 was put back into production I'd snap one up, as it is I'm swithering over swapping my 430 for a 430L.

On another note, how long does it take to redesign a website???