Thread: Thinking of buying a BSA Scorpion SE

Thinking of buying a BSA Scorpion SE

For some reason I'm hankering after buying a BSA Scorpion SE multi shot in .177, and I'm not sure where this particular itch has come from - possibly that I've never owned a BSA of any type, and these are priced around my point. I'd be interested if any owners (or ex-owners) of one of these would 'spill the beans' and give me a 'warts for all' review so that I can decide to scratch my itch or develop an itch elsewhere. I've also heard that 'they're better in synthetic, but I have no idea why, so perhaps someone could also enlighten me here.
    Are they accurate, competitive? I'm mainly concerned with range work, not hunting, but would also welcome the views of those that use them for hunting, to help me gain an all-round picture of what I'd be getting and with a view one day to moving it on (or not).
    Thanks in anticipation of any help here,
    Dave.
    NB - does the Gamo Coyote use the Scorpion action?

Had one in .25 and it was accurate. The bolt was a bit 'notchy'. Not as slick as say the AAS410 and not a patch on the HW100 but I'm sure it could of been fine tuned with a rub down but I'm not one for messing with them.
    Well built, never had a problem with it and the mag cycled as it should with no jam ups

I had one before my current HW100 and since bought another for my lads to use at the range, for the dosh they are great rifles, as said not as refined as the HW but they hit what you want them to if you do your bit.

I had the pre se Scorpion the T10 multi shot in . 22 with Synthetic stock. It was bloody excellent, wish I'd never sold it, but I had bought a Ultra se and didn't want two at the time. Prior to the T10 I had never owned a BSA pcp, I must say my experience has all been very positive
    Edit : I do find the Synthetic stocks cheek piece a bit low, no such problem with the wooden stock.

I sometimes use a synthetic and a wooden stock single shot Scorpion at my local range. I agree with Trumpetier, the synthetic cheek piece is a little low. However, I've recently had use of a synthetic Ultra SE, that stock was fine. I just found the mag a little fiddly personally but loved both the Scorpion and the Ultra.
    ATB
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

secretagentmole Guest
    Have a look at a Gamo Coyote too!

I have the Scorpion SE in .22 and 2 Ultra SE in .177 and .22 and they are brilliant rifles, they are very accurate well built and very reliable, you will not be disappointed.
    Regards
    Lloyd

BSAs in general have exceptionally accurate barrels, there are exceptions as in most other brands. There was a problem with nickel plating flaking in pellet probes, probably fixed now? The bolt locking is very narrow causing the bolt to pop open at high power guns (40+fpe). Trigger is not true match grade but can be tuned to that level. Over all they are nice, accurate and well balanced guns and with a proper tune excellent ones.

Gamo uses BSA Buccaneer action that has inferior trigger.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

The nickel finish is flaking on my early Ultra se cocking bolt, I presume it's just astectic and wont effect future performance /operation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    The nickel finish is flaking on my early Ultra se cocking bolt, I presume it's just astectic and wont effect future performance /operation ?
    It's a bit like having sand in your gun. Those flakes are likely to grind in between the probe bearing and probe causing even more flaking and gravel like cocking feel scratching the bearing as they do it. Flakes are bound to end up in the hammer tube causing inconsistent velocity and they may even lock up the hammer. Hammer bearing will also hurt. If it's under warranty send it back to BSA for fixing. Otherwise Rancidtom and XTX sell stainless steel pellet probes that won't flake for a little more than a stock probe.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    Rancidtom and XTX sell stainless steel pellet probes that won't flake for a little more than a stock probe.
    Thanks for that mate

Love the T10 and tried an SE version. Well worth the money
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Thanks for that mate
    I have a .22 Ultra SE multishot stainless probe (brand new from xtx a month ago) and a blast tamer (from Stevie Darling) also brand new if you want them - £30 for both, no longer required as I've sold my Ultra.

I have an SE 177 set up with Yukon 6.5

Mine was JB blueprinted from new, bolt mod and better gauge
    I love mine, it was my choice of multi shot, I prefer simple non reg, I could have bought an HW100 or similar but from experience chose the Scorpian SE and JB work instead -
    I exclusively shoot Jan 10.34 in mine but would expect it to like 4.53 8.4s too -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox1307 View Post
    I have a .22 Ultra SE multishot stainless probe (brand new from xtx a month ago) and a blast tamer (from Stevie Darling) also brand new if you want them - £30 for both, no longer required as I've sold my Ultra.
    Cheers mate I will have a think about it