Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cocking bolt lube

Some O rings are not silicone proof, some are not mineral proof. NBR (nitrile) and FPM (Viton) are resistant to silicone oil and silicone grease. Check with the manufacturers spec if you don't believe me, there are various mineral oils and solvents which will knacker nitrile O rings and similarly various solvents that can knacker Viton O rings. Be wary of what some people have branded as "silicone oil" (silicone lubricant is not an "oil" if you define it chemically). There are a lot of internet myths surrounding the properties of silicone "oils" that aren't actually silicone lubricants but may have mixtures of silicone lube with mineral oils and other solvents.
    Abbey SM50 doesn't swell nitrile or Viton O rings, nor does pure silicone lubricant. It will destroy polyurethane O rings over time and also silicone O rings but silicone O rings aren't used in any airguns I know of (well not as original equipment) as they can't stand much pressure, they are used in food industry applications where resistance to steam or boiling water while being inert enough not to taint food is the prime requirement.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Lube ?

No wet lube on bolt or hammer slide for me , too much dirt and drag .

I use wax polish .

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Helps the seal ..... I was told a bit of silicon on the rubber was good no?
    oil, not grease. and only a bit. if you saw some the o rings we dug out of the baths.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    oil, not grease. and only a bit. if you saw some the o rings we dug out of the baths.
    I bought pure silicon oil & I use what's left on my finger after massaging it nearly dry between my thumb & index finger.. this right?
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.