Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocking bolt lube

Cocking bolt lube

What should I lube my Ultra cocking bolt with please chaps ? grease or a drop of gun oil ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    What should I lube my Ultra cocking bolt with please chaps ? grease or a drop of gun oil ?
    Sand & cement
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Use a dab of molybdenum disulphide grease on the rear half of the probe, and a smear (not even a drop) of Abbey SM50 on the pellet probe O ring. A smear of SM50 is also good for the fill probe O rings, don't overdo it, less is best more is not better!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Sand & cement
    Naughty

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    Use a dab of molybdenum disulphide grease on the rear half of the probe, and a smear (not even a drop) of Abbey SM50 on the pellet probe O ring. A smear of SM50 is also good for the fill probe O rings, don't overdo it, less is best more is not better!
    Cheers mate

Does it have a blue knob, Dave ?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Does it have a blue knob, Dave ?
    No its turned black, that's worrying

It'll drop off soon then!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I was told to put a tiny drop of oil on the bolt of my scorpion

Pete
    Pete

sewing machine or barbers oil. the same as you use in a hair trimmer. as said, lightly.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Naughty
    Sorry couldn't resist.. but on a serious note I'd have thought grease rather than oil would stay put better on the back, and I use small amounts of silicon oil on the orings but not and definitely not on any metal to metal parts
    I've found putting a drop on my finger with the silicon then rubbing it between my finger & thumb before wiping the oring tends to not transfer too much lube I have some silicon oil I bought which you can have a tiny pot of.. I got 100ml or something like that for about £3 & even if I ran an oring oiling shop I'd never get through it all!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

It's not a good idea to use oil of any kind on the bolt or pellet probe as any excess will inevitably creep down into the hammer tube causing inconsistent shots as it slows the hammer travel down a bit then gets thrown clear, then accumulates and clears in a random-ish cycle until it's all stripped down and cleaned out. A smear of grease occasionally on the larger diameter of the bolt or probe should not migrate into the hammer mechanism and cause such problems. Just a smear and only occasionally is all that's needed.
    Silicone "oil" is a good rubber and plastics lubricant but useless for metal to metal wearing surfaces, it actually causes more wear rather than reducing it. For metal to metal use molybdenum disulphide based grease, for the probe (metal) to the probe bearing (Delrin, an engineering bearing grade of plastic) moly grease is fine.
    The O ring seal would be fine with silicone "oil" but using Abbey SM50 is better as it is a mix of silicone and molybdenum disulphide which is capable of metal to metal lubrication as well as keeping the O ring in good condition. Although there is no actual metal to metal contact on the front half of the probe SM50 will not cause galling if it does come into any metal/metal load bearing areas however it should not be used in excess as it can migrate into the hammer tube causing inconsistent hammer strike and hence inconsistent muzzle velocity.
    That is why less is best in this particular case.

Only thing I'd use on a cocking bolt would be Dri-slide.

Ohh i wish i had pics of 0 rings left in sillycone oil. a couple of mill to a doughnut overnight.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    Ohh i wish i had pics of 0 rings left in sillycone oil. a couple of mill to a doughnut overnight.
    Helps the seal ..... I was told a bit of silicon on the rubber was good no?