Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4 For Farm?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I don't hunt these days, but when I did a 4x always sufficed. And these were generally 4x32 Gold Crowns which I still own to this day. All my shots were with a springer, max 30 yards.

Rhys....congratulations on your class new purchase.

And, yes, you really need to get that '97 now!
    Stop it you!!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    As im suffering from a money hemorrhage from my purchase & now having 2 "spare" expensive scopes I might just not look at that!! I'm in a very dangerous situation now where I'm wondering if I should sell the scopes or buy rifles!! .......
    I don't want to sell my vortex Diamondback 3-9 or my doctor 6x42 so I'm definitely not looking at another scope!!!

Ah, Rhys, I hadn't noted you'd already talked yourself into a purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Ah, Rhys, I hadn't noted you'd already talked yourself into a purchase!
    See post #15
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

See post #15
    Yes,I read back to it. Very nice.

Well it arrived today., & It's practically new!!!!! If it wasn't for the box showing signs of wear I'd even say it was new.
    Opened it up, held it up to the window and wham!!! It's not as I expected! It's even better, aside from the clean clear disk of heavenly clarity, the reticle isn't just any #4 it's a #4A! GET IN!!!! I shouted to myself as I spied the tell tail hash markings & the meopta ranging gauge in the bottom left corner! What an absolute bonus.. I was a bit worried about having no hold over points but now I need not! Yes!!!!
    So I chucked it on the rifle to see how it fitted & in the mounts I bought it sits a perfect 3mm above the shroud! Ace... So I sholdered the rifle to see how the new scope hight was and it's so much better, I now have a proper cheek weld. It could be a bit lower but nothing a stock cheekpiece bag won't sort.
    Brilliant just brilliant. I've not adjusted the parallax yet but it won't be long, I didn't have my baby boa with me. So I got on to making my carbon shroud version 2, it also came out really well & I think it might actually reduce the noise slightly!! Lol I was always thinking it wouldn't but I'd just have a go because it's fun & I think it actually works bonus!
    So I have to say my R10 setup has kept forward by quite some ground today, all that's left is a blast tamer, a huma reg & a decent service I think..... Gotta learn how to do that.. so it'll be a little while before I do that.
    Watch out Raties! & Ferals!
    What a great afternoon fiddling I love those days
    Rhys

Well it arrived today., & It's practically new!!!!! If it wasn't for the box showing signs of wear I'd even say it was new.
    Opened it up, held it up to the window and wham!!! It's not as I expected! It's even better, aside from the clean clear disk of heavenly clarity, the reticle isn't just any #4 it's a #4A! GET IN!!!! I shouted to myself as I spied the tell tail hash markings & the meopta ranging gauge in the bottom left corner! What an absolute bonus.. I was a bit worried about having no hold over points but now I need not! Yes!!!!
    So I chucked it on the rifle to see how it fitted & in the mounts I bought it sits a perfect 3mm above the shroud! Ace... So I sholdered the rifle to see how the new scope hight was and it's so much better, I now have a proper cheek weld. It could be a bit lower but nothing a stock cheekpiece bag won't sort.
    Brilliant just brilliant. I've not adjusted the parallax yet but it won't be long, I didn't have my baby boa with me. So I got on to making my carbon shroud version 2, it also came out really well & I think it might actually reduce the noise slightly!! Lol I was always thinking it wouldn't but I'd just have a go because it's fun & I think it actually works bonus!
    So I have to say my R10 setup has kept forward by quite some ground today, all that's left is a blast tamer, a huma reg & a decent service I think..... Gotta learn how to do that.. so it'll be a little while before I do that.
    Watch out Raties! & Ferals!
    What a great afternoon fiddling I love those days
    Rhys
    So without beating around the bush too much I'm guessing you like the new scope!
    Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
    So without beating around the bush too much I'm guessing you like the new scope!
    Is it showing?! I've not been this satisfied with a purchase since I bought my first meopta, years ago! me thinks there's a pattern emerging here!

I'm quite pleased myself tonight after mounting my 4X WTC on the Sirocco! The mounts I purchased were two wide for the .500" fitting on the fixed rail so required a bit of 'fitting' ie quickly re-aquaint with ones filing skills. The combo looks really good and doesn't seem to have deteriorated the pleasant shot cycle but thats only in my garage 6yrd 'range'.
    Regards,
    Dave.

I'm quite pleased myself tonight after mounting my 4X WTC on the Sirocco! The mounts I purchased were two wide for the .500" fitting on the fixed rail so required a bit of 'fitting' ie quickly re-aquaint with ones filing skills. The combo looks really good and doesn't seem to have deteriorated the pleasant shot cycle but thats only in my garage 6yrd 'range'.
    Sounds good, I can imagine that it looks good too, does it have the grey textured finish on it as per the usual WTC'S?
    I took the R10 out today, re-parallax'd & roughly zero'd it... It's really really nice. And the shooting position is great. I might go out Sunday & get it properly on the button, I just ran out of air today & didn't have time to check the group's. I want to make sure that the barrel adapter come stripper/shroud baffle I made isn't clipping

Yep it is the normal WTC textured finish and does seem to suit the rifle well.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Yep it is the normal WTC textured finish and does seem to suit the rifle well.
    Here you go.....

https://goo.gl/photos/CvXmwTzHy8BCeDxz6
    Regards,
    Dave.

One of my all time favourite scopes was a Zeiss Conquest 6x40 scope, had two but sold them with rifles. Shouldn't have done that.

My FWB Sport wears a Optima 4x40, and another a 3-9x40 Moonlighter. The 4x is brighter.
    I have an early 6x40 Tasco that is uber bright right to the edge and an early red dot style 4x40 Hakko that as bright as a Swaro.

For farmyard ranges then low mag and bright glass gets solid hits in the gloom. For standing unsupported it ensures a sporting shot let off without faffing about. Practice and accurate shot placement will get the job done. Low mag short ranges and the scopes are aren't the parallax needy. Even a x9 scope require parallax adjustment or reparallaxing down to short range. Some scopes reparallax easily enough some just won't budge and others run out of turn thread. If a scope can be parallaxed correctly they are a whole lot brighter at close range, I try to get them spot on for 20m. Lastly, once parallax adjusted ensure they are locked and check zero as many scopes give a shift in POI when lenses are moved about.

Fun isn't it?