Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpies

Magpies

Good afternoon to you all,

I'm looking for some clarification. We have hens in our back yard. We collect around 5 eggs a day. For the last few weeks the eggs have been low only 2 maybe 3 eggs. My wife has noticed that some eggs have been broken. I know we have issues with rats, which I keep under control with an air rifle. However earlier this week I noticed 10(ten) magpies in the garden hanging around the entrance of the chicken run. Where do I stand on shooting magpies. I fear they are taking my eggs or at least upsetting the hens. I have spoken to both neighbours and they do not mind them being culled. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stewart

Shoot them whilst you can. They are very smart and will soon wise up to you.

Not that I'm an expert but not sure that magpies worrying your chickens is covered by the general licence.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...age-or-disease

I do, of course, stand to be corrected.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Carcrash View Post
    Shoot them whilst you can. They are very smart and will soon wise up to you.
    Plus 1
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

Yes you can just stay within the law ie discharging a near a public highway and safe back stops and pellets must not leave you land im sure you no it--- if they start to wise up try a Larsen trap

If as you say your neighbours are fine, then personally I would shoot the bloody things.

Chicken eggs are classed as a crop, shoot them
    Falcon Prairie CS.22 Huntsmans .20 Theoben .20 & .22 FAC

Have you tried all other methods of discouraging them?

Yes your allowed to shoot them but I'm pretty sure you have to try other methods too.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

Yes your allowed to shoot them but I'm pretty sure you have to try other methods too.
    What about dynamite? Would that be a good deterant?!!

On a serious note hang some old cd's up in the pen or in surrounding trees as a bird deterant, if that doesn't work the fire away I think
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

I also agree i did check with BASC a fair while back,their view was also as above,that as long as i could prove that i tried all other reasonable precautions then shooting is justified as a last resort.
    Now if i had a sizeable plot then I'd be pretty much safe from prosecution!!

Earlier in the year a friend was having trouble with a mystery beast stealing eggs so I set up a trail camera. The guilty one was a chicken.

Stick a trail camera inside if you have access to one; you'll soon find out the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    What about dynamite? Would that be a good deterant?!!

On a serious note hang some old cd's up in the pen or in surrounding trees as a bird deterant, if that doesn't work the fire away I think
    Apparently you have to run about waving your arms and saying "shoo""shoo" a lot .

Magpies take and eat eggs.
    On the general license so shoot as many as you can. They are a pest just like your rats. You will be doing dicky birds a favour too as they take chics.
    Squirrels will take eggs too as will stoats and weasels.

Magpies are doing really well with the amount of road kill, so there are plenty about. If you shoot one leave it there as often another will come to see his mucker. I've had 5 or 6 this way.

Shoot them.

Then reload quick
    When they see their mate go down, they'll sometimes go bonkers, giving you a chance at another 1 or 2.

Or, as already said, leave a dead one out for his mates to come and investigate.

Good luck.

All of the above.

and when you cant get neare them because they have wised up,get a Larson trap,it will work when you are not there.reduce the number of magpies and help all small birds keep there nests and young.
    rapid 7 mk2 .22/btas 30ftlbs fac./fx verminator 177
    rapid 17 mk1 regged(by ben taylor)in mk2 stock
    savage hmr and dm80 mod/ crickett .22