Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed s200 or s400 or ?

Ok thanks so much for your help I shall keep an eye out.

Single shot .177 BSA Goldstar with the pepper or red/white/blue laminated stock.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Single shot .177 BSA Goldstar with the pepper or red/white/blue laminated stock.
    Or that!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Or that!
    Or a second hand Ripley?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Or a second hand Ripley?

Well, if you're getting serious then yes, the world is the mollusc of your choice!

Just not, not ever, an air arms/titan/falcon drinking straw barreled piece of poo!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Well, if you're getting serious then yes, the world is the mollusc of your choice!

Just not, not ever, an air arms/titan/falcon drinking straw barreled piece of poo!
    Unless it's an MPR?

Wait a minute, my Ripley has a pencil-thin barrel. But that's cos it's old.

If you stick with Air Arms (and I don't), then the 200 is physically much smaller, so if you have longer arms, it feels a bit toy like. Very accurate, nice little rifle, but you can do better

I like Daystates....

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWey View Post
    I am looking for some advice. Going to be looking fro a decent starter pcp rifle. Mainly going to be using it for some friendly target shooting primarily. Currently looking at a second has s200 or s400. Is there much between them or is it down to looks and feel? Are there any other used rifles around the £4-500 mark that are also worth a look at that I may be missing? Is .22 going to make a difference for recreational target shooting or should I stick to .177 to get the feel?

Thanks for any incites you may have.
    Hi Aaron,

If you haven't already done so...take yourself along to South Dorset FTC (Sunday is best) where you will be able to see and possibly try some different guns.

There is a nice HW100KT within your price range for sale through the club, but it is .22 shrouded barrel I think, it does come with extras - a case, 4 mags, scope and mounts, etc,

Food for thought
    blah blah

I have had an S200, an S400 and an HW100. Choice is very personal, in my case the S200 has been sold on and I'll probably sell the HW100 if I can get the right money as it is only a few months old. The S400 is staying, alongside my FTP900 and Daystate Mk4is.

Take up the above offer of going to a club. Hands on and face to face advice cannot be beaten. If target shooting is your aim then .177 is what you want.
    Most start out with s400 for good reason, but then the shiny loving part of our brain takes over and our wallets Take a beating!
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi Aaron,

If you haven't already done so...take yourself along to South Dorset FTC (Sunday is best) where you will be able to see and possibly try some different guns.

There is a nice HW100KT within your price range for sale through the club, but it is .22 shrouded barrel I think, it does come with extras - a case, 4 mags, scope and mounts, etc,

Food for thought
    I was up there shooting on Tuesday after work with a few friends who are members. There are two of us who are going to come down on Sunday morning to join so would be good to get to talk to people there and maybe see a few different rifles.
    Last edited by AaronWey; 29-07-2017 at 07:09 AM.

I wouldn't mind moving into some competition shoots at a later date. But at this point don't really know which i would enjoy more until I try them out. I've seen a few hw100 for around my price range but really looking for the most gun for the money. Don't really mind tinkering or repairing as I have an engineering background so doesnt phase me. Just don't know what would give the most chance to progress without swapping guns for a while.
    If you do like the hw100 then that's the one to buy! FAR supreme to the s400 and s200, in fact i can't think of a better rifle under £900

I was up there shooting on Tuesday after work with a few friends who are members. There are two of us who are going to come down on Sunday morning to join so would be good to get to talk to people there and maybe see a few different rifles.

Good man, although (...sod's law) a few of our target shooters may be away at a competition this Sunday, but there should still be a few of us up there with some different guns for you to look at and try - the club has a .177 s400 that you can play with too so there is no real need to rush into buying anything.
    blah blah

"for some friendly target shooting primarily"

My choice would be the S400 classic in 177.

I do love the S200 as a hunting/field gun as its light weight and has a fast lock time.