Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed s200 or s400 or ?

Advice needed s200 or s400 or ?

I am looking for some advice. Going to be looking fro a decent starter pcp rifle. Mainly going to be using it for some friendly target shooting primarily. Currently looking at a second has s200 or s400. Is there much between them or is it down to looks and feel? Are there any other used rifles around the £4-500 mark that are also worth a look at that I may be missing? Is .22 going to make a difference for recreational target shooting or should I stick to .177 to get the feel?

Thanks for any incites you may have.

I own both in .177, both are excellent. The 400 is more refined and fits me better, but the 200 has a slight edge accuracy wise.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The world is full of more interesting and better alternatives to the S400.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

What else could you suggest? It's my first air rifle so was looking for something fairly accurate and and dependable. Plenty of them have been bought and there is lots of add ons and modifications that can be made to make it better.

the 200 is easier to carry. but i only hunt.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWey View Post
    I am looking for some advice. Going to be looking fro a decent starter pcp rifle. Mainly going to be using it for some friendly target shooting primarily. Currently looking at a second has s200 or s400. Is there much between them or is it down to looks and feel? Are there any other used rifles around the £4-500 mark that are also worth a look at that I may be missing? Is .22 going to make a difference for recreational target shooting or should I stick to .177 to get the feel?

Thanks for any incites you may have.
    I say go for .177 for target shooting.

If you do move on to organised / competitive target shooting: .177 is the cal that 90% of competitors use, and 100% of higher level competitors use. For good reason.

And the pellets are cheaper.

Ok will hold out for a .177 every little helps when you're compeeing against mates. Got to fire a .177 rifle and a .22 rifle and single pellet loading with .22 is very easy .177 was fiddly to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I say go for .177 for target shooting.

If you do move on to organised / competitive target shooting: .177 is the cal that 90% of competitors use, and 100% of higher level competitors use. For good reason.

And the pellets are cheaper.
    That is all true, plus you can fit more pellets in your handbag.

However, if you are just after shooting for fun you need to think a little deeper:
    When shooting tin cans would you rather the pellet passes clean through without a twitch, or the can being smacked across the yard? .177 is perfect for targets, but if its informal fun then release your inner male!

My mate had the 200 my son had the 400, we all felt the 400 was better but both are good and well made

Rifle

Get a s400k in .177 and if you get bored get a cheap .22 break barrel and have fun missing !

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
    Get a s400k in .177 and get bored, then get a cheap .22 break barrel and have fun!
    All true, but the OP is after a PCP

Thanks for all the input guys my moderated posts have not shown up yet. Is there anything else around that price range that would be any better?

Thanks for all the input guys my moderated posts have not shown up yet. Is there anything else around that price range that would be any better?
    What do you want to do? If FT/HFT is your goal then you need to follow one line of pursuit. If its fun/plinking with family or freinds then its another. But life is never so bad that you have to restrict yourself to the sheer dullness of an Air Arms S400. There are few rifles that perform worse, and even fewer that do it with such a lack of panache.

It is physically capable of everything it is supposed to do in its design remit. Just like Susan Boyle.

Aim higher my friend! Buy something that makes you smile!

I wouldn't mind moving into some competition shoots at a later date. But at this point don't really know which i would enjoy more until I try them out. I've seen a few hw100 for around my price range but really looking for the most gun for the money. Don't really mind tinkering or repairing as I have an engineering background so doesnt phase me. Just don't know what would give the most chance to progress without swapping guns for a while.

I wouldn't mind moving into some competition shoots at a later date. But at this point don't really know which i would enjoy more until I try them out. I've seen a few hw100 for around my price range but really looking for the most gun for the money. Don't really mind tinkering or repairing as I have an engineering background so doesnt phase me. Just don't know what would give the most chance to progress without swapping guns for a while.

Ok, then I would definately go with .177. It is the only serious choice for any serious target shooting!

The HW100 is in a different league to the outdated S4** range which are clinging desperately to their early 90's titan heritage. Poor design, shot count and materials are its biggest problems, but they sell lots so many will argue. For exactly the same reason the Kia Ceed is better than an Aston Martin!

The HW100 is a great gun, but for around the same (used) price I would look at the Daystate Regal as well. Both will be more satifying to own than the air arms.