Thread: Crosman 2260 ideas

Crosman 2260 ideas

I really like the compactness & accuracy of the 2260 but I don't particularly want to put a telescopic sight on it either with barrel clamp mounts or by replacing the original breach block with the steel one with a dovetail cut into it. I'm happy using open sights but for me the rear sight as fitted is not ideal. I find the sight too close to my eye for using a notch satisfactorily & although I can use the peep hole sight it's a slow process, plus it obscures much of the target. Not a problem on bullseye targets but awkward on irregular targets.
    So I've been wondering if anyone has modified a 2260 by putting a half decent adjustable open sight further along the barrel, If so did you use off the shelf parts or have to knock something up to do the job? So, any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.

Would the crosman mount adapter thingies and an HW77 rear sight do the trick? There might be cheaper dovetail rear sights? SMK?

Anyway I have some crosman mount adapter thingies with butchered but usable screws you can have FOC if you PM me your address.

Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Rich,
    Many thanks for your offer, think I'll probably go down that route.ive got a Crosman mount that I was thinkig i might mess about with as a starting point. As there's little to no recoil & with low mass it won't need to hang on really tight but none the less I want to stop it swinging around using the barrel as a pivot. Cyanoacrylate might be one fix.....? Two blocks close to each other might provide a decent base, time to try the idea out. Cheers

Think I'll have a look for a bar of aluminium that I can make a split clamp up,from, a bit like the ones used for scopes but with two holes, one for the barrel & one for the gas tube. Cross screw below the gas tube & above the barrel with a fixing for the rear sight.....possibly something akin to an old BSA type or Webley mkIII. It'll avoid the cyano & should hold firm if I can drill the holes with the correct relationship to one another. Filing it down from a square sided slab to something a bit more aesthetic will give me something to do for a while, but maybe that's the way to go.

With the crosman mounts I always wondered if putting a bit of bike inner tube between them and the gas tube body would help them stay put? Might be worth a try?

Isn't the problem with the "Pro-Blox" that they put pressure on both the barrel and the tube, causing them to separate? If so, any custom job ought to hold on one (eg the barrel), not both?

Get a discovery rear sight and barrel sleeve mount
    You'll need to file a flat on the barrel for the sleeve grubscrews to lock onto

Not sure about the bike inner tube, I think even that, thin as it is might be too flexible & still allow a bit of movement, but something like that could offer a bit of extra grip. The possibility of moving the gas tube & barrel in relationship to one another with a clamp type fixing is a possibility that would indeed have to be taken into consideration. I've got an idea or two that I will have a go at when I get a chance to try them out. The Discovery route would seem to be a good solution, I'm not discounting it but I think I will explore the other ideas first as I have some aluminium to hand that ought to give me enough material for at least a couple of attempts.

Have fun tinkering :-)