Thread: Diana 34 Anniversary vs Custom 34 what would be more desirable?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Diana 34 Anniversary vs Custom 34 what would be more desirable?

A few Diana fans rave about the rare anniversary model but who thinks that a custom version would be better

How about this one would it be reasonably worth doing cost wise if anyone liked it ?
    http://imgur.com/DQzLAUm

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Well you know my thoughts on the Anniversary model and if I could get a custom stock like that (to fit any rifle) then I'd be interested, the only problem is trying to find either of them.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    How about this one would it be reasonably worth doing cost wise if anyone liked it ?
    http://imgur.com/DQzLAUm
    The top one looks a very nice stock, actually has a decent comb height as well
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

First off I didn't even know they did a 34 anniversary model. I've not long got my head around Diana having done a 35 anniversary so I'm still taking this all in.
    I'm guessing that the top photo is the custom and the bottom is the anniversary? I would happily have either, though the checkering on the custom is extremely nice- indeed the whole stock is pretty special. One point I've noticed is that the breech block seems to have been re profiled to a curved top and the usual serrated top gone. Since every single modern Diana has this feature its removal is noteworthy- unless somehow this is a completely different barrel off another make? But bearing in mind the angled breech face that would be some tinkering.
    Two very nice guns. I'll slum it with either of them I'm not that fussy
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    First off I didn't even know they did a 34 anniversary model. I've not long got my head around Diana having done a 35 anniversary so I'm still taking this all in.
    I'm guessing that the top photo is the custom and the bottom is the anniversary? I would happily have either, though the checkering on the custom is extremely nice- indeed the whole stock is pretty special. One point I've noticed is that the breech block seems to have been re profiled to a curved top and the usual serrated top gone. Since every single modern Diana has this feature its removal is noteworthy- unless somehow this is a completely different barrel off another make? But bearing in mind the angled breech face that would be some tinkering.
    Two very nice guns. I'll slum it with either of them I'm not that fussy
    Dave
    Unfortunately the 120th anniversary model was made a few years ago and no longer available, I've tried everywhere trying to find one, so if you ever see one for sale then you're be a lucky man indeed and I'd buy it if I was you, shame really they didn't bring it out as a catalogue model as in my eyes they look far better than anything HW produce but saying that Diana seem to have always had a bit of problem selling their rifles over here.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Unfortunately the 120th anniversary model was made a few years ago and no longer available, I've tried everywhere trying to find one, so if you ever see one for sale then you're be a lucky man indeed and I'd buy it if I was you, shame really they didn't bring it out as a catalogue model as in my eyes they look far better than anything HW produce but saying that Diana seem to have always had a bit of problem selling their rifles over here.

Pete
    Pete, Diana must of knew that the 1986 .177 model 52 was supersonic from the first shot. I can testify to this having being one of many to have owned one back then. Now it may sound very impressive and everything but try and consistently hit a 1/2" disk with one and then you'll know why Diana have struggled to win us over. They should of designed a speciality 12 FTLB side lever for the UK and not a rifle really destined for the USA, they only have themselves to blame really. It's a shame because I really really want to like the Diana brand especially as they have given us the magnificent T06 trigger and P5 Magnum pistol. Despite all of this, I'll always be a Diana fan I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    Pete, Diana must of knew that the 1986 .177 model 52 was supersonic from the first shot. I can testify to this having being one of many to have owned one back then. Now it may sound very impressive and everything but try and consistently hit a 1/2" disk with one and then you'll know why Diana have struggled to win us over. They should of designed a speciality 12 FTLB side lever for the UK and not a rifle really destined for the USA, they only have themselves to blame really. It's a shame because I really really want to like the Diana brand especially as they have given us the magnificent T06 trigger and P5 Magnum pistol. Despite all of this, I'll always be a Diana fan I suppose.
    Evening derek,
    I can see where you are coming from to a degree but the main thrust of the thread here are the two special 34s and their desirability.
    But in answer to your view yes clearly Diana knew the power potential for the 52. It was after all designed to challenge the HW80 which in itself is no slouch but we dont seem to hear people bemoan its performance. Im not knocking the HW80 at all. Its my main hunting gun. But the 52 was, as stated, designed to eat it for brekkie. For country's with no power restrictions it can do so. I've no doubt that unfortunately there were some odd early 52s that came here a bit hot from the factory. But that said I think you can say that of any high end performance gun. Getting the power set super accurate on a springer is not as easy as it may seem with so many variables coming to play. You cant blame a manufacturer from trying to keep production costs down by building substantially the same gun for home and foreign markets but perhaps varying spring input to tailor the power to.the respective markets. A bit crude maybe but again I have no doubt Diana are not alone in this respect.
    I think that its closer to the truth that Diana have suffered from poor marketing, and poor pricing, and the trend of the buying public following a herd instinct and buying the more mainstream common brands such as HW. Again as per above.I'm not knocking HW- I have more than a couple my collection but Diana more than compare favourably with them and better them in some areas.
    Anyhow, back to the question in hand I still prefer the custom 34, but if my arm was forced all the way up my back I'd give.in an accept the centenary version. I can't be fairer than that
    Dave

It would be great if custom stocks were available for Diana's. They may be in the U.S but I think you'd have to commission a very expensive one-off here.
    The Anniversary 34 looks to have the same pattern stock as the 34 Premium but in walnut. I'm wondering if the 34 would fit in a 340 n-tec Premium stock . It way well do and it would be good if one could be obtained at a reasonable price. This would give a 34 a nice wee lift.
    Last edited by Drew451; 05-08-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    It would be great if custom stocks were available for Diana's. They may be in the U.S but I think you'd have to commission a very expensive one-off here.
    The Anniversary 34 looks to have the same pattern stock as the 34 Premium but in walnut. I'm wondering if the 34 would fit in a 340 n-tec Premium stock . It way well do and it would be good if one could be obtained at a reasonable price. This would give a 34 a nice wee lift.
    Not sure about the stock swap, I'm not really into Diana's that much (I only have one, which I'm thinking of selling anyway) but I do know that the 340n-tec is a rammer and the trigger mechanism is a bit different than the T06 setup, so not sure if the dimensions or cylinder length is the same size, I was offered by accident the new 340 n-tec anniversary model instead of the 34 anniversary (I thought a German supplier had some old stock but didn't in the end) but I don't really like the 340's stock (too target like to me, with what looks like a lower hamster built in) compared to the graceful lines of the 34's, you're correct in thinking that the 34 Premiums stock is the same pattern as the Anniversaries, the only difference is the anniversaries is walnut and has hand cut skip line chequering, I even asked Diana's special customisation department to make me a replica (minus the anniversary markings so it doesn't get confused with a proper one) but they can't seem to be able to do that for some strange reason, so that's another German maker I give up on.

Pete