Thread: Ggg 308

Ggg 308

Have been shooting GGG 308 today through my Remington 700 Police and it seems to like it, does anyone know of a recipe to copy it using Viht N140?

Cheers Ian.

remove head and see what powder it is.... think it may be ball and around 43 gns
    not sure whose powder they use but googling to see if its online

not had a chance to pull a round yet but from what I can see online they are 147 grain bullet with 44.6 grains of what looks like hodgdon BLC2 just need to try and figure out what that converts to in N140

First thing would be to shoot a few rounds over a chrono and get an idea of the velocity from your rifle; then all you need to do is find a bullet of the same weight & BC and then work up a suitable load.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

use 155 SMK's and 42-45grns of N140, remember to work your way up to the load and start low, GGG milsurp cases are probably lower voume than commercial brass so take it slow.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

I have a mixture of cases GGG, PPU and lapua always like to start on the lower side and work up

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    use 155 SMK's and 42-45grns of N140, remember to work your way up to the load and start low, GGG milsurp cases are probably lower voume than commercial brass so take it slow.
    Totally agree about smks and powder. But I'd say invest in some new Lapua Brass. Its not a lot in the big scheme of things and you can reuse them many times if just neck sizing.

DONT use a mixure of cases. They will have different internal capacities and provide inconsistent results.

Once you've decided on the correct about of powder, if after ultimate accuracy then measure your guns maximum COL (several ways to do this) and make up batches 10 thou off going back to about 50 thou to see which one gives you the best accuracy.

Powder gives you FPS, COL gives you accuracy.

Happy reloading.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Totally agree about smks and powder. But I'd say invest in some new Lapua Brass. Its not a lot in the big scheme of things and you can reuse them many times if just neck sizing.

DONT use a mixure of cases. They will have different internal capacities and provide inconsistent results.

Once you've decided on the correct about of powder, if after ultimate accuracy then measure your guns maximum COL (several ways to do this) and make up batches 10 thou off going back to about 50 thou to see which one gives you the best accuracy.

Powder gives you FPS, COL gives you accuracy.

Happy reloading.
    Powder also adjusts the harmonics. A ladder test will show that powder also controls accuracy as the rifle hits a node. My old dolphin could be made to group well then diverge every .6 of a grain or so.

The ladder test will show single rounds with very small changes of charge forming groups as you hit the nodes. It is a very cheap and effective way of initial load dev.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know