Thread: Glass bedding a bsa scorpiom t10

Glass bedding a bsa scorpiom t10

When I work the bolt on my bsa the whole action rocks forwards and backwards. the screw holding the action in the stock is tight. Would it be any advantage in bedding the action to the stock. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woddenleg View Post
    When I work the bolt on my bsa the whole action rocks forwards and backwards. the screw holding the action in the stock is tight. Would it be any advantage in bedding the action to the stock. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
    You could take a mill or half off the "nut" where the screw threads in to. I'd say it's too long (or the inletting in stock at that part too shallow) allowing the action to rock.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

I'd pack the fixing screw out with a couple of washers first, just to make sure it isn't at fault. It might be too long & bottoming in it's hole.

The screw is not binding I even tried a washer . I tightened up the screw a little more and it seem to help but don't want to overdo it. I will work away with it at the minute, Forgot to mention its a plastic stock not wood. Thanks for the replies. Cheers.

Might be worth trying to locate the rocking and put some plastic shims in place?
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Sound ChrisC I will give it a go when I get the chance over next few days. Thank you.

Self adhesive velcro strip works a treat taking out play in a stock.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    I'd pack the fixing screw out with a couple of washers first, just to make sure it isn't at fault. It might be too long & bottoming in it's hole.
    This would be my guess, the screw is too long & bottoming.

The most common problem with the BSA plastic stock is that the stock stud is too long, as Riku said above, the only proper cure is to have it skimmed (faced) down in length on a lathe.
    The length of the stock screw isn't usually a problem unless somebody has replaced the original one with a non-standard length screw, in this case a washer under the screw head will cure the problem. As said above by Woddenleg a washer hasn't cured it so either it is an original screw or a replacement of the correct length.
    The stock stud is common to many BSA guns yet it seems to be a problem with the plastic stocked ones, another possible cure is to deepen the counterbore in the stock (from the stud side not the screw side) but this isn't easy unless you have a pillar drill and the correct size counterbore cutter or a suitable milling cutter.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Sound ChrisC I will give it a go when I get the chance over next few days. Thank you.
    If you PM me your address mate i'm sure i've got some shimming material left in different thicknesses.....for nowt
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I have checked with the designer of the BSA pcps. He said that there should be a "tophat" shaped delrin stud in the front screw that holds the trigger to the action. It is pushed into the socket of the caphead screw. The "brim" of the tophat is about 1mm thick and when the stock screw is tightened the rear pulls down and beds on top of this stud. JB said this was a quick fix on the early Dudley made synthetic stocks. It also helped making the magazines removable on the first batch

Thanks for replies lads . Thank you ChrisC for the offer of shimming material, I am ok for it. I will try out something the weekend when I get a chance.