Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic vintage aperture sights

Classic vintage aperture sights

Was on another forum and a person posted pics of a old Webley Mark III with a awesome Parker Hale aperture sight. Made me almost want to collect these vintage accessories. What are some examples. Since putting my old William's back on a rifle I have fallen in love with these sights given it works great with 66 year old eyes that even have a new fixed lens from cataract surgery. The older ones have such charm. Makes a scope seem cold.

I share your passion.

There is a very well illustrated article on Parker Hale sighted Webleys in Issue 3 of on line magazine Airgun Collector. The present edition of Airgun Hobbyist, which is published in the States also includes a couple of aperture sighted BSA Airsporter/Clubs.

As my eyes grow older and weaker, I find aperture sights not just a desirable accessory but essential for shooting too! There were numerous aperture sights intended for pre war BSA air rifles and a fine collection can be assembled consisting of such rifles.

Kind regards,

John

I sold a PH sight off a junk Mk 111 for £12 less than I paid for the rifle.
    Not sure whether I should have!

I find the old German diopters from Anschutz and Diana extremely addictive. I'm not really a collector but i have acquired a few and like to use these with all types of air rifles.

Steve,

A brochure of early BSA sights is on Mr. Garvin's Vintage BSA Airguns forum:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...gs%29+-+Sights

Don R.

as an occasional shooter and fairly new to aperture sights;i have to say that they are an absolute pleasure to use.i have a williams fitted to my anschutz 333 and it is perfect,the foresight bead on the anschutz is adjustable for height which helps negate the extra height of the williams.these sights are very good for getting your shot away quickly and accurately and nicer to use than a scope. atb

It's a Parker Hale 16M that caught my eye. Here it is on the GTA site with all the various different aperatures. Love the way it swings away?

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=130341.0

Hi,

My eyesight started to show the signs of age some time ago, so I fitted a BSA No 8 aperture sight to my Light Pattern Improved Mod D. This certainly helped a lot and contributed to the selection of a Standard Pattern rifle with a factory fitted No 12 sight. As I shoot indoors and outside, I also fitted a 6 hole eyepiece to the No 8 to allow for variation in light conditions. As with some other collectors, I find these sights fascinating in themselves and can fully understand why they considered collectable in their own right.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psfx30sb7g.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psalifzt3i.jpg

Regards

Brian

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    i think I should give these kind of sights a go, now my eyes have started to struggle with opens (although they are fine on pistols).

Thing is do they work with non circular targets ? I always find the hole too big and the scope for error too great when I'm not shooting at a conviniently sized circle
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    i think I should give these kind of sights a go, now my eyes have started to struggle with opens (although they are fine on pistols).

Thing is do they work with non circular targets ? I always find the hole too big and the scope for error too great when I'm not shooting at a conviniently sized circle
    Been using a graduated post and it works much better than open sites, just put the target above the post just like open sights. Amazing to me the peep automatically centers it. I'm just as accurate as with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

My eyesight started to show the signs of age some time ago, so I fitted a BSA No 8 aperture sight to my Light Pattern Improved Mod D. This certainly helped a lot and contributed to the selection of a Standard Pattern rifle with a factory fitted No 12 sight. As I shoot indoors and outside, I also fitted a 6 hole eyepiece to the No 8 to allow for variation in light conditions. As with some other collectors, I find these sights fascinating in themselves and can fully understand why they considered collectable in their own right.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psfx30sb7g.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psalifzt3i.jpg

Regards

Brian
    Photobucket has raised its ugly head and taken your post away.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Photobucket has raised its ugly head and taken your post away.
    Hi,

I'd momentarily forgotten about the Photobucket problem.

I will post again via a different photo host tomorrow.

Regards
    Brisn

Can't see my front sight for my back one through the aperture

I'm another aperture sight enthusiast, with four of my little collection fitted with them, a Haenel 311, a Webley Service, and a couple of early BSAs. The aperture is the only sight on the 311 and is very easy to use,as is the one on the Service,and I find them so easy and accurate. However, much to my frustration,I find I can't use the BSA ones (I think they're both 22s) as the rear sight, further along the barrel, blocks my view of the front sight. If I wind the bit with the little aperture up as high as it will go, the front sight is still eclipsed by the rear. Any suggestions please, Gentlemen of the Collectables? Removing the rear sights seems rather drastic, but I just can't see over the top of the things and I would rather like to actually be able to use the old sights, rather than just admire them.
    Thanks
    Glyn

German diopters

I too hav collected a few of these, rather annoyingly most of mine seem to have old German rifles attached to them😉
    John.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    I'm another aperture sight enthusiast, with four of my little collection fitted with them, a Haenel 311, a Webley Service, and a couple of early BSAs. The aperture is the only sight on the 311 and is very easy to use,as is the one on the Service,and I find them so easy and accurate. However, much to my frustration,I find I can't use the BSA ones (I think they're both 22s) as the rear sight, further along the barrel, blocks my view of the front sight. If I wind the bit with the little aperture up as high as it will go, the front sight is still eclipsed by the rear. Any suggestions please, Gentlemen of the Collectables? Removing the rear sights seems rather drastic, but I just can't see over the top of the things and I would rather like to actually be able to use the old sights, rather than just admire them.
    Thanks
    Glyn
    Both rifles that I have used the William's sight had to have the open rear sight removed. In both cases easy cause it was just further up the rail held on but hex nuts. I don't think in this case you can have your cake and eat it too.