Thread: Diana 45

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    I remember when the 'Original' 45 in .20 was one of the best bargains ever at around 70quid if I remember correctly. A lovely rifle let down by a nondescript stock that did nothing for correct eye scope alignment. It was however a popular FT rifle back in the day easily competing with FWB 124 and HW 80 and 35 rifles.
    I agree. And whilst still not perfect the RWS variant with its cheekpiece and pressed checkering went at least some way to.improving looks and handling.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I agree. And whilst still not perfect the RWS variant with its cheekpiece and pressed checkering went at least some way to.improving looks and handling.
    Dave
    The RWS does indeed handle well and is more comfortable to shoot. John Walter said the opposite but I'm not with him on this now I have got my hands on the RWS, finally. There's a hint of match rifle about the RWS but obviously in a lighter package.
    I find the safety is very handily placed on the 45's and its satisfying to click it off with the thumb. Yes, addictive rifles. And they can trade punches with just about any other standard springer.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the cross pin/ dowel set up. I once read it followed centerfire rifle practice but I have no idea about this, myself.
    If you read various web reviews etc., you will see that there is a lot of love for the 45. But do used examples get snapped up? I'm not so sure. Maybe still unfashionable like a lot of Diana's.

I think the cross pin is due to a lack of room to get a good mounting point because of the trigger unit.

The used ones seem to go quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    I think the cross pin is due to a lack of room to get a good mounting point because of the trigger unit.

The used ones seem to go quickly enough.
    Thanks Landymick. That does seem logical enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    One thing that has always puzzled me is the cross pin/ dowel set up. I once read it followed centerfire rifle practice but I have no idea about this, myself.
    If you read various web reviews etc., you will see that there is a lot of love for the 45. But do used examples get snapped up? I'm not so sure. Maybe still unfashionable like a lot of Diana's.
    Yes I recall the same claim. Not quite so sure it worked just in that precise manner either but it works sufficiently well. The plastic grommets are now getting salty though and I had one crack through age not so long ago. Makes you wonder if turned brass replacements may be better longer term or even blued steel inserts?
    Yes I was reading one of those review centre things recently and the old 45 was rated 4.9/5.0 so not too shabby.
    But it does come down to fashion trends and Diana don't seem to capture the interest that some makes do. Even when some Diana models clearly have numerous advantages over some others makes.