Thread: Diana 45

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Whats the bore and stroke of the 45?

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Whats the bore and stroke of the 45?
    In all the times.I've been inside mine I still don't know lol. But I'm guessing bore is 28mm as this seems common through the larger Diana guns. Stroke- really not too sure on that. I'd be interested to know that one myself as I suspect that whilst it might have been longish compared to similar guns back in the day, I think in modern terms and certainly amongst other current Diana's it is relatively short. Barryg is usually the one good on that information and he's never around where needed
    Dave

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    In all the times.I've been inside mine I still don't know lol. But I'm guessing bore is 28mm as this seems common through the larger Diana guns. Stroke- really not too sure on that. I'd be interested to know that one myself as I suspect that whilst it might have been longish compared to similar guns back in the day, I think in modern terms and certainly amongst other current Diana's it is relatively short. Barryg is usually the one good on that information and he's never around where needed
    Dave
    Hi Dave I got your message
    I'm not really a big fan of the old Diana's
    I have had a 34 and a 45 at the same time and compared both with each other, although my 34 is the old Firebird version and seems the same quality as the 45.
    The 34 has about 10 mm longer stroke and the same 28 mm bore as the 45 and the same TP.
    Because of the shorter stroke on the 45 it will take a bit longer spring, so don't fit the spring in your 34 without removing coils
    IMO the 38 was and perhaps still is the best of It's class

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Hi Dave I got your message
    I'm not really a big fan of the old Diana's
    I have had a 34 and a 45 at the same time and compared both with each other, although my 34 is the old Firebird version and seems the same quality as the 45.
    The 34 has about 10 mm longer stroke and the same 28 mm bore as the 45 and the same TP.
    Because of the shorter stroke on the 45 it will take a bit longer spring, so don't fit the spring in your 34 without removing coils
    IMO the 38 was and perhaps still is the best of It's class
    Thanks for your input Barry. Appreciated as always.
    I thought that the stroke on a 34 was a fair bit longer than 10mm but I'll take your word on it as I haven't checked.
    I'm convinced the 45 is sweeter shooting than the 34 but that's maybe because I want it to be sweeter. Both good guns in any event.
    And there was me thinking you were a fan of Diana's "end of".
    Dave

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posts .

I was recently given a very nice clean Diana RWS mod 45 in 22 . Marked 1988 .

I was impressed , its a very comfortable rifle to shoot, bear in mind that 6 months ago I sold my HW 95 , just never ever felt that it was a good rifle.
    Spread a group a bit too erratically for my liking .
    I didn't do any tuning or any thing , just the normal checking , tried 3 scopes, no difference .
    I have over the years found rifles you just get on with and others that never ever feel as good as they should.

I played about with the Diana , trying various pellets , open sights .

I don't have a chrono any more , so no idea of power .

But shooting paper at 25 yards , I was shocked how good it grouped with Air Arms pellets ( 5.52 ? ) , compared to my big selection from almost every maker .

As I'm no longer shooting any competition , its going to make a great plinker / fun gun in my retirement .

I have a real tatty old BSA Supersport , that is also a great plinker, ok , its a bit tired , but perfect for playing about out to 25 yards .
    Now that I have a lovely rifle, the Diana , I'll get around to fixing up the Supersport and the Mark 1 Meteor .

Yes, the 45 has its fans on here. I'm glad yours is performing well and you are enjoying it. 1988 is late for the earlier model forty five. Is it the Version with the cheekpiece, stamped checkering on the pistol grip.?

Evening Gerry.
    Glad to hear that you are having some good results with your 45. Its definitely an "oldie but goodie". I'm quite a fan of Dianas but feel that the 45 was certainly one of their top guns of all time. Its hunting abilities are second to none provided the pilot does his or her bit!
    They do still come up for sale occasionally but not quite in the same numbers as years ago. It only dawned on me just this week that I have five examples between the Diana and RWS variants. I rate the gun, though I'm still having some reasonable success with it's stablemate that it came to overshadow the 50T01 - which it shares a basic power plant with.
    One surprising thing with the 45 is that it came in a few variants aside of the "Original" and RWS versions. I think there was a Gecado version too.
    Keep enjoying a classic fella!
    Dave